Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What John Thinks...of "Ally McBeal" coming to DVD

"Yay!" That’s what I think.

The news that "Ally McBeal" is FINALLY getting a proper (i.e. legal) release in the United States is so cool and exciting that I don’t even mind the sideways, judge-y looks you’re giving me right now.

Is David E. Kelley’s ode to dancing babies, neck wattle and knee pits the best show ever produced? Of course not. In fact, it was often downright bad during the second half of its run - except of course for the part where Robert Downey Jr. showed up in season 4 and delivered the best performance of his career. (Yeah I said it! He was so good that I was genuinely pissed off at him for getting fired due to his drug problems after his one year on the show.)

Still, this show was pretty much superproducer Kelley near the height of his creative (and kooky) powers. As a result, I’m looking forward to revisiting the great, musical-fantasy-loving characters (right in my wheelhouse), and all the ridiculously-talented regular and guest performers who stopped by the show during its five-season run.

I’m guessing whatever music licensing issues were responsible for holding up the "Ally McBeal" DVD release in the U.S. were somehow resolved. Now if we could only do the same for "The Wonder Years" and get THAT show on DVD. (I’d also like ALL the episodes to "The Larry Sanders Show" please.)

So what’s your favorite "Ally McBeal" moment? I’ll go first: any and everything involving Peter MacNicol’s brilliant John "The Biscuit" Cage. (Ok, I REALLY like this one.)

No comments: