Sunday, September 20, 2009

John's Emmy 2009 Diary

It's been more than a year since I've done a diary.

I think it's time we change that. I'm home tonight, there's an awards show on, and I've wrestled the laptop away from my girlfriend Erica. Let's see if I've still got it as I check out the 2009 Emmy Awards.

0:01: Not even a, “Hi” from host Neil Patrick Harris – just straight into a musical number. Hopefully, this means they’ll keep this show under three hours.

0:03: A have to admit, this song got off to a bit of a slow start for me, but rapid fire jokes about Paula Abdul, and crushing on Christina Hendricks and Jon Hamm won me back.

0:05: His bit about shows not having theme songs anymore is funny because it’s the kind of thing we’ve all talked about with our friends. (Or is that just me?)

0:06: Congratulations! If you had “six minutes” in the “first Kanye joke of the evening” pool, you win!

0:08: I’m not sure we needed a montage about the year in comedy since we all pretty much have our favorites and I’m not sure a random selection of scenes is going to make us start watching a show we’ve never seen, but we’re getting one anyway.

0:10: Liz Lemon and Dr. Drew Baird present the first award of the evening: Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy. Unfortunately, even Tina Fey and Jon Hamm can’t entirely sell the lame presenter chatter.

0:12: The nominees are doing a much better job selling the “Completely Random Eyewear” bit, with Vanessa L. Williams (in “Ugly Betty” character)adding the exclamation point by refusing the play along.

0:13: Announcer John Hodgman (“And I’m a P.C.”) informs us that winner Kristin Chenoweth would’ve become a private eye if she hadn’t become an actress. Her thrilled reaction and completely charming speech (“I want to be on ‘Mad Men’”) make up for the fact that I would’ve preferred for Jane Krakoski, Kristin Wiig or Williams to win. Congratulations, Ms. Chenoweth!

0:14: Mystery solved. The eyewear thing was Amy Poehler’s idea.

0:21: Oh great! Now it’s entirely possible (meaning EXTREMELY likely) that Hodgman was making up the private eye thing about Chenoweth since he just admitted he’ll be making up facts about each nominee.

0:22: The cast of “How I Met Your Mother” (they got that plug out of the way early) is here to present the “Best Writing for a Comedy Series” award to “30 Rock.”

0:23: By the way, I wrote the previous entry before “30 Rock” won. I swear! Also, it’s official. Hodgman is making up all the tidbits about the winners. Another thing is official: I’m unbelievably gullible for believing that Kristin Chenoweth/private eye thing. (I guess I wanted it to be true.)

0:24: I’m not sure how current a Harlem Globetrotters joke is, but Harris kinda saved it by making fun of how lame it was.

0:25: Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Amy Poehler come out to present Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. With Jeremy Piven out of the way, it’s gonna be Neil Patrick Harris, right?! Nice job by Harris of finding a seat in the audience and sitting there when his name was called as a nominee.

0:26: Kevin Dillon did an even worse job of hiding his disappointment that Jon Cryer won for “Two and a Half Men” than I did. He looked pretty sad. Cryer is a nice, funny guy, but I would’ve taken pretty much every other nominee over him, as well as several people who weren’t nominated (Ed Helms, John Krasinski, Jason Segel, Jeremy Piven, etc.)

0:33: As sad as it is, Harris’ loss should give him plenty of comedic ammo for the rest of the evening. He introduces the “omni-talented” Justin Timberlake.

0:34: JT’s here to present Best Actress in a Comedy Series. I’m not sure I love that they’re getting all the comedy categories out of the way first (comedy matters, damnit!) but it’s making the first half of this show interesting. On a related note, is there any way Fey doesn’t win again?

0:35: Sarah Silverman doesn’t get the memo that she’s up for Best Actress and not Best Supporting Actress and wears a fake mustache. JT makes a nice, spontaneous joke about hormones (it’s almost not fair that this guy is really funny too) and Toni Collette wins in a mini-upset!

0:38: Harris is interviewing Cryer in the press area and Cryer is gamely playing along. I knew he’d milk the loss and this is good stuff.

0:39: The “Gossip Girl”s come out to tell us who won the “Best Guest Actor and Actress in a Comedy Series” awards last week.

0:40: The Kanye joke count is now at 2, thanks to Timberlake, who won for Guest Actor in a Comedy thanks to his SNL hosting gig. Fey won the Guest Actress award for her extended Sarah Palin impression on SNL.

0:42: As bizarre as the pre-taped bits for the “Best Director in a Comedy Series” nominees are, I like that they prepared a little something to liven the category up. Why should the nominees for “Best Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Series” get to have all the fun? By the way, “The Office” wins the directing award. Yay!

0:49: I thought I was the only one who remembered (laughing at) Rob Lowe’s failed “drama” series, “Dr. Vegas.” Apparently, Rob Lowe remembers too. He’s here to present Best Actor in a Comedy Series. My heart says Steve Carell or Jemaine Clement, but my head tells me it’s going to be Alec Baldwin.

0:51: Baldwin is VERY funny, but damnit - Steve Carell needs to win an Emmy for playing Michael Scott before it’s all said and done. He just HAS to. Baldwin’s solid, heartfelt speech dedicated mostly to Lorne Michaels helps takes the sting off. A little. Very little.

0:54: Not sure why they played a violent (and mostly unfunny) “Family Guy” bit right before telling us we were moving to reality show awards, but here we are anyway. As far as the comedy categories were concerned, I was happy to see the prizes spread out a bit – it’s a nice change from the “30 Rock” monopoly.

0:55: It’s probably bad that I’m finding this montage of reality shows more entertaining than the comedy one. It’s just that people on reality shows are more bat s--- crazy – and I like that.

0:56: Maksim Chmekorvskiy and Karina Smirnoff are performing together. They’re pros, so I’m expecting zero awkwardness stemming from the fact that they recently broke off their engagement. In a related story, is it sad that I did NOT have to look up how to spell their names on Google? (I say it is.)

0:57: Some dancers from “So You Think You Can Dance” come out, and they eventually are joined by the “Dancing with the Stars” pros. I watch both shows, I love both shows, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I would’ve preferred an all-out dance battle.

0:59: Hayden Panettiere and Neil Patrick Harris-nemesis Jon Cryer present the Best Reality Show Emmy to Jeff Probst. He’s won this award every year that it’s existed (which is only two): how long until they rename it the “Jeff Probst Award”? (I’m surprised they haven’t renamed the Best Reality Show Award, “The Amazing Race Award.”)

1:07:
Present Tracy Morgan does nothing to quiet the haters who say he doesn’t really “act” on “30 Rock” as he loopily presents the nominees for “The Amazing Race Award.” (You can probably guess who won.)

1:09: Now we’re getting the TV Movies and Miniseries awards, and I’m getting a snack from the kitchen. (Sorry, but I’m too poor for HBO, which is the network that usually dominates these things.) I have to say - I felt more prestigious just watching that montage.

1:12: Husband-and-wife team Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick come out to present Best Supporting Actor and Actress in a TV Movie or Miniseries. Shoreh Agdashloo wins Supporting Actress, which absolutely delights me because I kinda had a crush on her during season 4 of “24.” She needs to be back on a channel I can afford! Ken Howard wins Supporting Actor for “Grey Gardens.” I have a feeling this won’t be the last time “Grey Gardens” wins. (It’s the one miniseries I’ve heard of, so it HAS to be good.)

1:15: You expect Justin Timberlake to make a Kanye joke, but Ken Howard?! Well done, sir! We’re up to three if you’re scoring at home (and I obviously am).

1:22: Chandra Wilson and Kate Walsh (my two favorite parts of “Grey’s Anatomy” from back when I still cared about that show) are out to present Best Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries. Brendan Gleeson (a great actor) wins for a movie I’ve never heard of (“Into the Storm” for the record) and gives a touching speech about his wife and mom.

1:25: I’m thinking they should probably ditch the rest of this “Best Seat in the House” gig. It’s just not working. “Ghost Whisperer” Jennifer Love-Hewitt and “Medium” Patricia Arquette come out to present Best Writing and Directing for a TV Movie or Miniseries” to “Little Dorrit”, which wins both prizes. But they already knew that.

1:30: The show is (ideally) halfway over. I just wanted to say hello and (figuratively) pat you on the back for making it this far. Also, you must have A LOT of time on your hands.

1:31: I saw “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-along blog” for the first time last week. I thought I was WAY late to the party, but judging from this “Dr. Horrible” spoof happening on my screen it seems I’m right on time!

1:33: Question: If we all agree that the accounting portion of award shows is boring and a waste of time, why do we keep trying to come up with clever ways of making that time more palatable? Why not just get rid of it altogether? (It HAS to be in some contract somewhere that we have to see these accountants at some point.)

1:34: Alec Baldwin presents “Grey Gardens” star Jessica Lange with the Emmy for Best Actress in a TV Movie or Miniseries. I thought Drew Barrymore would win, but at least we saw a quick shot of Justin Long next to her. (The show is showing remarkable restraint by not going to the “I’m a Mac, I’m a PC” well.)

1:42: Erica (welcome to the diary!) points out that Kiefer Sutherland peeked at co-presenter Anna Torv’s breasts. We’re not mad at him – they were pretty out there, and he simply got busted. By the way, “Grey Gardens” wins for Best TV Movie.

1:44: Erica brings up an interesting point. How can something on HBO win for Best TV Movie? Shouldn’t the slogan, “It’s not TV, it’s HBO” automatically disqualify them from winning? While I was being an idiot just now, “Little Dorrit” won Best Miniseries. The awards for Variety, Music and Comedy programs are up next.

1:51: Oh those silly directors and their “comedy.” Anyway, the writers are here to show them how to do a silly and irreverent Emmy nomination thing. Conan’s team takes the prize for its Facebook/ignoring friend requests bit.

1:55: However, “The Daily Show” wins the writing Emmy (again), while “American Idol” wins the directing award.

2:02Bold: Jimmy Fallon is doing a weird and funny Auto-Tune bit before he falls down (on purpose). I love how much Steve Carell is enjoying this. (Great, I’m getting mad again because Carell didn’t win.)

2:03: Fallon’s here to present Best Original Music and Lyrics – I believe this is the first time this award has made it on TV. Smart move.

2:05: I thought “Motherlover” was a lock, but the catchy-sounding “Team from the 81st Annual Academy Awards” takes the prize in one of the night’s few upsets. Nice speech by the leader of the “Team” (and bearded Joaquin Phoenix lookalike) acknowledging the fact that organizers probably thought Justin Timberlake would win instead of them.

2:08: Ricky Gervais is back again doing his thing – taking up a little too much time and making fun of Steve Carell while making us not care because he’s VERY funny. He presents the “Best Variety, Musical or Comedy Series” award to (gasp!) “The Daily Show.”

2:16: The stuff I said about the accountants – ditto for the president of the academy. Let’s just ditch him altogether!

2:20: I kinda loved how LL Cool J didn’t even try to sell Chris O’Donnell’s lame presenter joke. The pair is out to give out Best Supporting Actor and Actress in a Drama Series.

2:21: I literally pumped my fist and yelled, “Yes!” when Michael Emerson of “Lost” won! I repeat – YES!

2:22: I love “24” and I thought Cherry Jones was good, but, really? I hate “Grey’s Anatomy”, but Oh and Wilson deserve that trophy.

2:23: I didn’t call Sarah McLachlan “The Songstress of Sad” – Erica did. She’s out to sing during the In Memoriam portion of the evening. Thankfully they’re staying away from the swooping camera shots that plagued Queen Latifah’s In Memoriam performance during the Oscars and made it hard to see the people being honored. Let’s see who gets the loudest applause.

2:25: I had Natasha Richardson in the lead (just an awful shame). Then Bea Arthur came and took a commanding lead. Paul Newman is making a strong push, but I think Arthur’s applause is still the loudest. Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze and Walter Cronkite also get nice ovations. The point is that we lost a lot of wonderfully-talented people this past year. Too bad.

2:32: Stephen Moyer and David Boreanaz introduce Guest Actor and Actress in a Drama winners Michael J. Fox and Ellen Burstyn, who turn around and present Best Directing in a Drama Series to “ER” and Best Writing in a Drama Series to “Mad Men.” “Mad” creator Matthew Weiner smartly hedged his bets by getting himself nominated in four out of the five slots.

2:39: Simon Baker comes out to present Best Actress in a Drama Series. I know the Emmys love Mariska Hargitay, and the rest of the nominees are super-duper-stars, but go Elisabeth Moss!

2:41: Glenn Close is still the biggest, most imposing star of the bunch and wins again. It also helps that she’s REALLY good.

2:48: Dana Delany is out to present Best Actor in a Drama Series. No offense to Dana Delany (I think she’s great and underused on “Desperate Housewives”), but weren’t any of the more famous “Housewives” available?

2:50: You can’t really say it’s an upset if this is the second year in a row that Bryan Cranston has won over his buzzier competitors. I’ve never seen “Breaking Bad”, but I’ve heard great things about it. Good for him. However, I’d still like to see Hugh Laurie win an Emmy at some point. (He’s the Steve Carell of Drama.)

2:52: Comedy legend Bob Newheart is out to present Best Comedy Series (makes sense) to “30 Rock.” The guy can still get off some good one-liners, but he’s going to cause this show to go over time singlehandedly.

2:54: In case you’re wondering, I wrote the sentence about “30 Rock” winning before it happened just now. Seriously. Tina Fey isn’t even bothering to act surprised anymore. (Neither am I.) Nice zing to The Jay Leno Show, by the way.

2:56: Why have Cat Deeley on the show, if you’re only going to use her two or three times? She announces that “True Blood” won the fan-voted “Best Breakthrough Performance” “Award” (How MTV Movie Awards of them!)

3:01: Sigourney Weaver comes out to hurriedly present Best Drama Series to “Mad Men.” I feel about this the way I feel about the “30 Rock” win – it’s a deserving victory, but oh so typical. Still, congrats to the excellent “Mad Men” cast and crew.

3:03: That’s our show. If you made it this far in the diary, then God bless you. Please excuse the inevitable typos. (It's late!) Go ahead and tell me what you thought of Neil Patrick Harris as host (pretty good, if a little underused) and, oh yeah, the winners.

No comments: