Friday, June 26, 2009

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

I’m not going to tell you something that hasn’t already been said (a LOT more eloquently) in the many tributes that have trickled out over the past 24 hours. I’m also probably not going to say something you haven’t already thought about or felt yourself.

The loss of Michael Jackson obviously means that we’ve lost one of the most unique, electrifying, mysterious and influential artists in American pop culture history. His influence on his fans and many of today’s pop stars is obvious, so I prefer to think of the unexpected ways he touched me over the years. (Insert your own child molestation joke, since it’s impossible to overlook that aspect of the man’s life, which actually wickedly adds to his enigmatic legacy.)

Growing up in Puerto Rico, one of the very first things I can remember being terrified of is the video for "Thriller." Actually, I think running away from my mom’s living room screaming for my life is one of my earliest memories period. Of course, I now appreciate and realize that it’s the best music video of all time (if you disagree, I’m truly sorry about you being so wrong.)

I also remember my mom scoring Michael Jackson tickets for a concert in the early 90’s, but MJ canceling the show a few weeks before. I remember being slightly bummed, but (in my eight-to-10-year-old mind) figuring that I’d get to see him eventually. I never got a chance to see him, which may have been just as well given that he started fading as a musical artist at that point.

Those are just two of the earliest Michael Jackson memories that popped into my head. I also have him to thank for my various attempts at doing a (busted) moonwalk, for annoying my little brother with "chmons", and countless other ways he influenced all our lives over the last 30 years.

Even with all the controversy and outright weirdness surrounding the King of Pop the last few years, my initial reaction upon hearing that he was dead wasn’t shock (the dude had been looking seriously ill recently) - it was, "Oh, that’s too bad."

I’m not going to say you HAVE to share your favorite Michael Jackson memory in the comments, but you’re more than welcome to.

(Quick note: Also, R.I.P. to Farrah Fawcett. I didn’t want anyone to think I was shafting her, but she was just a little bit before my time, so for me to try and write a genuine, heartfelt tribute would as phony as Jackson’s nose.)

No comments: