Friday, February 5, 2010

American Idol: Audition Round Up

The good news is that we’re finally done with the increasingly-tedious audition rounds of “American Idol.”

The bad news is that, though I’ve seen a handful of people with plenty of potential, I didn’t really see or hear anyone who I’d feel comfortable betting actual money that they’d make it to this season’s Top 12. (Did you?!) After nearly a month of audition episodes, that’s simply not a good place to be.

This past week’s episode of “American Idol” felt like déjà vu all over again. Tuesday marked the return of Victoria Beckham to the panel. Wednesday’s episode felt more like the deleted scenes of a DVD – although, instead of containing mostly crap, the hour gave us at least a portion of a dozen or so successful auditions.

My brain is all but fried from these audition episodes, so I’m going to give you my free-flowing thoughts on the Tuesday and Wednesday night installments of “Idol.” (I solemnly swear to write proper recaps again once the good singing starts next week.)

- The Denver audition episode could’ve been re-named “Bring your kid to work day.” (Avril Lavigne would’ve HATED this episode.) Seriously though, what’s with all the single parents?! Obviously, they have it really tough, but to present kids as some sort of hurdle to be overcome (on par with cancer and deaths in the family) on the way to a career as a music superstar is a stretch, no?

- I’m guessing Victoria Beckham’s super-tight hairstyle somehow affected her hearing because all she could talk about was how people dressed and their skin. I get that to be a music superstar you have to have the “total package”, but it still seemed out of place.

- Just because you’re white, chubby and haven’t shaved in a few days (Mark Labriola) doesn’t mean you look like Jack Black.

- Fourteen hours is WAY too long to fly to try out for THIS show – especially when you really have no shot of winning. (Sorry, helium-voiced Nicci Nix.)

- Why WAS Kimberly Kerbow wearing a wig?

- Did anybody else’s Douchebag alart go off as soon as Aaron Paul came on-screen? Also, you’re a long-snapper dude. You’re like a tier above kickers and punters on a football team – calm down with the ego.

- A part of me was glad that the judges could be just as gross toward a man (Making Casey James take off his shirt and let down his girly hair) as they often are towards women. The other part keeps yelling, “Two wrongs don’t make a right.”

- My favorite Denver singer was Danelle Hayes, despite the fact that she acted as if a career singing in “bars and corporate events” was the worst fate imaginable. I also hope she stops yelling at me! If I had to pick anyone from the Denver audition episode to make it to the top 12 it would be her. She reminds me of Carly Smithson – powerful voice with more than a hint of desperation. My other favorite was Haeley Vaughn, just to see if she can be more than a curiosity and become the first “black pop country” crossover star (that isn’t Darius Rucker). She already sounds better live than Taylor Swift.

- I had about the same reaction action as the judges did (only mine wasn’t obviously staged) when Bikini Guy showed up. I’m glad they saved that for the end or I might’ve switched the channel.

As for Wednesday night’s episode, which focused mostly on good singers:

- I dug Didi Benami’s (pictured, left) version of “Hey Jude”, though I’m not really sure why we needed to know her best friend had died recently. (Ugh!) Her voice and style are reminiscent of last season’s Megan Joy (Not Corkrey).

- Speaking of Megan, we also got reacquainted with Lacey Brown, who was cut last season in Hollywood in favor of Ms. Joy. Lacey’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” was another highlight.

- I didn’t really like 16-year-old Aaron Kelly, who sang “The Climb”, as much as the judges did. He’s got an appealing, low-key personality, but I personally think he’ll be eaten up in Hollywood. (Maybe it’s because he looks like a little girl.)

- I wouldn’t want to be the one to have to tell personal trainer Michael Lynche that he’s been eliminated. Then again, Kara called him a teddy bear, and the guy seems like a sweet person, so when he inevitably gets cut in Hollywood Week (his “Unchained Melody” was solid at best) there shouldn’t be any incident.

- Is Amanda Shectman (drama student/queen) the new Tatiana del Toro?

- Finally, we’ve seen lots of sides to Simon, but have we ever seen the humble, embarrassed sign after Victoria Beckham kept lightly teasing him about his sole songwriting credit during Jessica Furney’s audition?

So what’d you think of these episodes? Am I being too hard on this audition season and has it always been this way? Who was your favorite guest judge? (As much as I enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris, I HAVE to go with Katy Perry.) Finally, what one contestant would you bet the house on making it to the top 12?

No comments: