Tuesday, February 2, 2010

American Idol: Barney (Stinson) and Friends

Sorry for the lateness, but I figured I’d quickly slip in my thoughts on last week’s “American Idol” audition episode from Dallas for two reasons.

1.) I didn’t get around to watching the episode until Monday night.

2.) It’s currently a 6 p.m. on Tuesday night, which means I’m going to be entering a “Lost” cocoon in a few hours, so who knows when I’ll get around to writing another “Idol” recap.

Anyway, as excited as I am for the final season premiere of “Lost” tonight, I’m almost as excited for these increasingly-unbearable audition episodes to be over.

Here are my stream-of-consciousness thoughts on the Dallas auditions, despite the fact that I could probably sum up the hour in six words: Thank god for Neil Patrick Harris.

- I read all the stories this week about how Neil Patrick Harris would make a good replacement for Simon Cowell and I (mostly) agree. It was refreshing to see a guest judge who actually had an opinion and wasn’t afraid to disagree with Simon in a clever and entertaining way. At one point, NPH even seemed to sway Randy and Kara to his side, but those two are even more easily-swayed than the dogs in “Up” when someone says “squirrel!” NPH also gets extra points for pointing out that the fact that Julie Kerelighan’s name was completely illegible on her sad homemade sign. (I’m actually a little sad that I looked up her name.)

- It’s a good thing NPH is apparently friends with Kara DioGuardi, otherwise she might’ve been in for another smackdown, Katy Perry-style!

- On the other hand, if someone had replaced Joe Jonas with a plastic plant (that had bushy eyebrows, of course), would anyone have noticed?

- The “best” singers of the night were charismatic Lloyd Thomas - who I mostly remember for singing my favorite Stevie Wonder song (“Overjoyed”) and for telling Simon, “You better leave right now” when he received unanimous approval from the judges – and David Pittman, who I mostly remember for singing very well despite having Tourette’s Syndrome. It’s probably an awful thing to say because his version of “Bring it On Home to Me” was lovely, but right now he seems like more of a curiosity than a legitimate threat to win this competition.

- Meanwhile, the most memorable singer was definitely whip-enthusiast and former “Barney” “star” Erica Rhodes. She definitely succeeded in making an impression. Unfortunately, she was considerably less successful in the, um, singing department. (Didn’t stop her from going to Hollywood.) Her “Free Your Mind” and “I Love You” (Barney’s Theme) were both nasal-y and annoying. Like NPH, I mostly felt dirty watching her sing the Barney theme in all her semi-slutty glory.

- Todrick Hall put more thought into his original “Idol”-themed song than the Black Eyed Peas put into their entire album. Kimberly Carver = jazzy girl.

- Finally, Vanessa Johnston is one of the worst singers this show has ever seen. I’ve seen every single audition episode in the show’s run, and I repeat, she’s one of the worst singers I’ve ever heard. She may not be as memorable as the William Hungs of the world, but her “At Last” is just SO wrong, in SO many different ways. Take a listen if you don’t believe me.

So what’d you think of this episode? Did you see a potential “Idol” in Dallas? Finally, would anyone be against a Shania Twain/Katy Perry/Neil Patrick Harris panel next season?

No comments: