Friday, August 6, 2010

Jersey Shore: You Wouldn't Like Pauly D When He's Angry

THIS is more like it.

Though I was happy to see the crew return and arrive in Miami during the season 2 premiere, I was less happy about the fact that the episode focused on Angelina and the Ronnie and Sammi relationship. (AKA: the two most annoying things about “Jersey Shore.”)

Well, the second episode of the season STILL gave us a heavy dose of Ronnie and Sammi, and STILL prominently featured troublemaker Angelina. The difference is that this time Angelina actually interacted with The Situation and Pauly D (probably my two favorite people on this show), so that made it completely different. Seriously though, if you were wondering just how bitchy Angelina is, you need not look further than this episode.

The reason she was even hanging around with S-I-T-U-A-T-I-O-N (“Whatever”) and Pauly D was because no one else in the house would talk with her. More alarmingly, it takes a special brand of bitch to make Pauly D angry.

I mean, he didn’t even get this upset when that girl was “stalking” him on the boardwalk last year. I didn’t even know it was possible for the perpetually-cool Pauly D to get angry. That’s what made his “ARE YOU TOUCHING ME?!” outburst that much more startling (and hilarious).

During their traditional night out at the club, Angelina got drunk, (not Ronnie-drunk, but still pretty drunk) began dancing with women, and reverted back into her cock-blocking ways. (She was hating on Pauly D for hitting on a woman who was married/engaged/about-to-be-engaged.) Back at the house, she started showering The Situation and Pauly D (but mostly Pauly) with unwanted “I love yous” and declarations that she would marry him. I probably would’ve snapped too!

All the while, The Situation was hilariously trying to make himself a midnight snack. There still hasn’t been nearly enough of The Situation (the food ordering gag was amusing, but predictable), but I feel like he’s going to come on strong later this season. That being said, I still enjoyed his reaction after Snooki accidentally dropped his BBQ chicken on the ground, and she and Vinny cluelessly asked him what to do. (“Pick it up, dog!”)

When he does come on strong, he has a potential new nickname: The Instigation. Insofar as “Jersey Shore” has storylines, Sammi finding out about Ronnie’s drunken debauchery is definitely the other shoe waiting to drop this season. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Situation play a key role. Last night, he came thisclose to telling J-Woww and Snooki about Ronnie bragging about doing “mad work” at the club and going to bed with Sammi.

For his part, Ronnie has decided to implement the Shaggy defense (“It Wasn’t Me”) if Sammi ever finds out about what he did. Wait, what do I mean “if”? WHEN Sammi finds out, since Ronnie seems to have forgotten that he’s being followed around by a camera crew.

The rest of the episode was mostly a re-run of last week. (In a related note, I’d be ok if this show ONLY showed this group either out at clubs and bars or getting ready to go out to clubs and bars.)

Ronnie and Sammi’s hate-love relationship is so unstable that even rollercoasters get sick to their stomach watching it. First they’re yelling at each other after she goes through his phone book (apparently, he should’ve referred to his ex as “Joe” in his book). Then she’s accompanying him to get a tattoo in the most painful place you can get one. (I can definitely think of a more painful place for a guy than my ribage.)

After visiting a “tranny shop” (which was totally J-Woww’s scene), Snooki bought a pair of $393 glasses (thanks, $2 discount!) and got into a screaming match with Angelina about the alleged trash she talked behind her backs. Yawn. At least this was livened up by J-Woww’s continued willingness to fight anyone (seeing the guys perk up and ask for pretzels to watch the spectacle was funny). I also loved Snooki answering a phone call for Angelina by saying “she died.” (And the caller frantically calling back!)

Finally, there’s Vinny — I’m forcing myself to say something about him every week. Um, I think he looks 60% more interesting with eyeglasses. (I know I’m reaching, but come on!)

So what’d you think of this episode? Could they have looked less thrilled at the prospect of working at the gelato shop? (Seems like fun to me.) Would you ever get a see-through bathroom door installed in your house? Finally, what would you rather do — fight J-Woww or marry Angelina?

No comments: