Thursday, September 9, 2010

NFL 2010 Week 1 Picks

I’m not usually a big fan of these Thursday night games (how am I supposed to watch “Jersey Shore”, “Project Runway” AND football?!), but I’m making an exception because the NFL is back!

I’m so excited that I’m going to jump right into the picks. As I have in previous years, I’ll post my record each week and my overall record for the season. (So you can see JUST how bad I am at this!)

My picks to win will be in bold. Let’s get it on!

MINNESOTA @ NEW ORLEANS
Since I didn’t do an NFL season preview, I’ll sprinkle in my thoughts on the upcoming season throughout these picks. One such nugget: I don’t have Minnesota going to the playoffs.

Brett Favre is ALREADY getting his bum ankle injected, his best receiver is gone for (at least) half the year, and his other best receiver may miss games at any times due to migraines. It’s not going to be fun times — especially not after they get their doors blown off in New Orleans.

CAROLINA @ N.Y. GIANTS
I actually kinda like Panthers QB Matt Moore, but I don’t like him on the road with the Giants opening their new stadium and probably looking for a bit of pay back after Carolina embarrassed them at the end of last season. If the Giants defense is any good this year, I like them to win the NFC East.

ATLANTA @ PITTSBURGH
People are pretty high on Atlanta, but, unless they made some sort of major defensive overhaul I don’t know about, I don’t love them as much as everyone else. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, may be missing its QB, but they actually made what amounted to a major defensive overhaul — they got Troy Polamalu (their best player) back.

CLEVELAND @ TAMPA BAY
I think Cleveland is going to continue the friskiness they displayed at the end of last year. Does it make me a bad Bucs fan that I’m rooting for a TV blackout so that I get to watch an actual good game? (Yes it does, but I don’t care.)

DENVER @ JACKSONVILLE
The Jaguars are so depressing that the most exciting moments for Jacksonville fans will be when Tim Tebow comes in for a few plays.

INDIANAPOLIS @ HOUSTON
I know Houston’s a trendy team (again!), but I can’t even remember the last time Peyton Manning and the Colts lost a regular season game they were trying to win.

MIAMI @ BUFFALO
There’s no real logic behind this pick — I’m just feeling it. Chan Gailey may not have been a sexy pick for head coach, but I think he’s going to be good for quarterback Trent Edwards. (And I’m NOT just saying that because Edwards is the third quarterback on my fantasy football league where we start two QBs and I may need Edwards to step up at some point. Oh wait…yes I am!)

DETROIT @ CHICAGO
This is less about all the encouraging acquisitions Detroit made in the offseason, and more about how much I think Chicago is going to suck.

OAKLAND @ TENNESSEE
It’s going to be exciting to see what Oakland can do with a real quarterback under center. It’s just too bad that they’re playing the superior Titans in week 1.

CINCINNATI @ NEW ENGLAND
I was tempted to take Cincinnati, but then I remembered just how much Carson Palmer sucked last year. I think I’ll wait before he shows me he’ll actually be able to take advantage of all his new toys before I start believing in him.

ARIZONA @ ST. LOUIS
I get that Leinart was seriously underwhelming, but are people in Arizona actually EXCITED about the prospect of Derek Anderson as their starting QB? Does no one remember his JaMarcus Russell-esque performance last year? Yikes!

SAN FRANCISCO @ SEATTLE
THIS is finally the year that the 49ers break through and win the NFC West, right? (It used to be the Cardinals who were perpetually threatening to break through.)

GREEN BAY @ PHILADELPHIA
Why are people SO sure that Kevin Kolb is going to be good? Because he had two good games last year? (One against a horrible Chiefs team.) No thanks. (I’ve got the Eagles falling to last place in their division.)

DALLAS @ WASHINGTON
Dallas is usually the master of offseason drama, but they were way outdone by Washington this year. I think the Skins will come out pumped up in prime time and pull out the win. (Sending the Cowboys into temporary freak-out mode.)

BALTIMORE @ N.Y. JETS
I know they have the HBO show and a bunch of splashy pickups from the offseason, but do people even remember that the Jets were 9-7 last year? That’s barely a winning record people. Still, they have no choice but to put up or shut up, right?

SAN DIEGO @ KANSAS CITY
I wanted to go with the Chiefs, but first I want to see how they look under two new coordinators. Well that, and the Chargers are probably better.

No comments: