Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Review

So, who do you think the Harry Potter films are for? Think about it before you answer.

I suppose the first instinct would be to say they're for fans of the books, who've devoured each of J.K. Rowling's volumes (like I have) and can't wait to see them on screen. However, my personal experience has been that fans of the books are often the biggest critics of the movies, often complaining about some trivial bit of info that was in the book, but not in the movie, or how somebody's hair or costume aren't right, and so on. They never seem satisfied, so I'm not sure the movies are REALLY for them.

Maybe it's more the casual fan, who knows about the books, but hasn't read them and just enjoys a good fantasy film with tons of imagination. Then again, the films can be a bit confusing for anyone who hasn't read the book because they just can't know all the terms in the Harry Potter lexicon. Then again, maybe, in this case ignorance is bliss and they're lucky because they can just sit back and enjoy the movie without the nagging thought that the way Dumbledore's Army is discovered in the book is different than in the film.

Then again, maybe the movies just exist to give work to every actor in the U.K. Oh yeah, the movie! Sorry about all that other stuff before, but all of that occurred to me while I was watching the newest Harry Potter flick. I actually really liked it.

"Order of the Phoenix" is Rowling's longest book and I thought it was curious it was made into the shortest film thus far. Considering how much had to be condensed, I thought it was probably the strongest adaptation and maybe the best movie in the series (I saw it about two hours ago) so I'm still a bit too close to the situation.

The movie hit all the important points in the storyline, which found Harry and Dumbledore at odds with the Ministry of Magic, which is in complete denial about Lord Voldemort's return. In response, they dispatch impossibly nasty Ministry official Dolores Umbridge to keep an eye on Dumbledore and his students, and she ends up wreaking havoc.

New to the franchise are director David Yates and screenwriter Michael Goldenberg bring a strong focus on Harry and his fellow students as they decide to prepare themselves for the approaching war between good and evil. They also highlight Harry's alienation from almost everyone in his life, as well as his fears about being so much like the evil Lord Voldemort, both of which are strong themes throughout the books.

That means the movie rested mostly on the shoulder of Daniel Radcliffe, who's still not a GREAT actor, but is improving a bit each time out…and this was probably his best work. I'm also glad he got a haircut…not to be superficial, but his look in "Goblet of Fire" was distracting. Rupert Grint (showing some backbone) and Emma Watson (who still tends to be a bit too dramatic…but she IS playing a teenage girl) are sturdy as Harry's best friends.

Unfortunately, that also means some of Britain's best actors have little or nothing to do. Still, people like Alan Rickman (Snape), Emma Thompson (Trelawney), Maggie Smith (McGonagall), Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort), Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy), etc. do more than they probably should with the, approximately one scene they're given to shine.

Michael Gambon finally exuded the appropriate authority as Dumbledore (instead of running around screaming like some lunatic) and Gary Oldman, who'd had maybe 15 minutes of screen time over two films as Harry's godfather, is very good, exuding a fatherly, yet mischievous vibe.

Of the new additions, I think Imelda Staunton was FANTASTIC as Dolores Umbridge. The character is completely hateable, does despicable things, and does them all with a sick smile on her face. I know it won't happen, but I'll throw it out there: she should be nominated for Best Supporting Actress (that category's always hella weak!) Who wants to start a campaign?!

Helena Bonham Carter made a good, though brief impression as Bellatrix Lestrange, but I wasn't really feeling Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood.

Let's get my dad's thoughts on another new addition: "Who's the chick playing Tonks? She's fine!" Ladies and gentlemen, my dad.

This is a good adaptation of what's probably one of my two favorite books in the series. I haven't talked to any of my Harry Potter-loving friends, but I'm already anticipating their complaints about how this was different, or that was cut out.

Personally, my attitude is that I try to watch the movie and see if it can stand on its own. This movie addressed most of the major points in the novel and focused on its most important themes. I don't try to impose the book or impose my own imagination (what I may have pictured) on the film.

Also, if you're upset about all the changes, the books are always there for you to read.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...A-

No comments: