Thursday, July 19, 2007

What John Thinks...of the Emmy Nominations Part II: (Comedy)

….and we're back!

You've read my thoughts on the drama categories(right!?), so watch me break down the comedy nominees. As in the post with the drama series, if I disagree with a nominee, I'll offer a (better) suggestion to replace him/her/it.

On to the nominees:

Comedy Series

Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty

What John Thinks: I like these choices a LOT. Ok, so I would take out Two and a Half Men (which I actually think is funny, but a lot of snobs do) and sub in the superior My Name is Earl. Finally, you won't find too many bigger "Scrubs" fans than me and the show had one great episode ("My Musical"), but I'm mostly sad that the show didn't start to get nominated for Emmys until year 4 and 5, when it was at the height of its powers during its first three seasons. This past season, year 6, was merely ok (but still VERY funny), so I'm glad to see new shows 30 Rock and Ugly Betty get the nod.

Finally, I think The Office is the best show on television. Not the best comedy, but the best show, with the best acting, writing and directing. Period.

Actor in a Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Ricky Gervais, Extras
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

What John Thinks: Baldwin and Carell are CLEARLY the top two and I love those guys so much, that I have no idea who I think should win (or even who I WANT to win). I don't watch Extras, so I can't really comment on Gervais. Charlie Sheen is ok and I like his deadpan delivery, but he's not exactly stretching as a womanizer on "Men".

Then there's Tony Shalhoub. I'm still upset over the fact that he beat out Carell last year. Nothing against, Shalhoub, he's a VERY good actor, and I'm sure he's a nice guy, but what can he possible have done on Monk this year (what is it year 6 or 7?!) that he hasn't done before? We get it, he's fussy, he's brilliant and he solves the crime by the end of the hour, and that's nice. But enough is enough, give this award to Carell or Baldwin!

I'd take out Shalhoub and Sheen and sub in Jason Lee (My Name is Earl) and James Spader (because Boston Legal is a comedy).

Actress in a Comedy Series

America Ferrara, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Teri Hatcher, Desperate Housewives
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary Louise Parker, Weeds

What John Thinks: As I mentioned in my drama breakdown, the Emmys smartly narrowed the field to six nominees (as opposed to the traditional five) in several categories. Again, I like most of these nominations, particularly America Ferrara (who will win…but you'll get my predictions another day) and Tina Fey (who often joked on SNL about how she couldn't act. Huffman is the best actress on Desperate Housewives and Teri Hatcher's character on the same show made a nice comeback to season one form while Eva Longoria's character became increasingly unlikable (it was a toss up for me between those two and I'm glad Hatcher got it) toward the end of the season. Watch out for Mary Louise Parker (who I love), she's the dark horse. Good picks all around.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Rainn Wilson, The Office

What John Thinks: This is, without a doubt, the most difficult out of all the categories. Seriously, it really is. Think about all the funny, scene-stealing guys in your favorite sitcoms. This is one instance where they SHOULD'VE gone to six nominees.

That being said, I'm mostly happy with the choices. Piven is just the man, and I'm REALLY happy to see Kevin Dillon (Johnny Drama) get his first nomination because he's damn funny. Also in the damn funny category is Neil Patrick Harris, so I'm glad he got recognition. Finally, who inhabits their character more completely than Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute.

Now, I'm sure Jon Cryer is a nice guy, but there are a ton of other supporting actors I would personally rank ahead of him: Rex Lee (Lloyd) on Entourage, William Shatner (since Boston Legal is a comedy), Michael Urie (Marc the bitchy assistant) and Mark Indelicato (gay nephew Justin ) on Ugly Betty, Ethan Suplee (Randy) on My Name is Earl, Donald Faison (Turk) and John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox) on Scrubs, and Tracy Morgan (Tracy Jordan) and Jack McBrayer (30 Rock). Still, my choice to sub in for Cryer would be John Krasinski as The Office's Jim Halpert who, along with Jenna Fischer's Pam (more on her in a sec) is the (prank-loving) heart of the best show on TV.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Conchata Ferrell, Two and a Half Men
Jenna Fischer, The Office
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Jaime Pressley, My Name is Earl
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

What John Thinks: Another tough category to break down, but not quite as hard as supporting actor in a comedy series because everyone knows there aren't as many good roles for women. I love that Fischer was nominated (and should win) since Pam had a breakout year on The Office. Pressley is damn funny, as is the force of nature that is Vanessa Williams on Ugly Betty. I'm also glad to see that the Emmy voters get Showtime and recognized Perkins' stellar work.

I hate to keep picking on Two and a Half Men (because it DOES make me laugh), but it's just not at the same level as some of these other comedies. I'd take out Ferrell and Taylor (Taylor IS pretty funny) and I'd sub in Becki Newton from Ugly Betty (as bitchy receptionist Amanda) and Angela Kinsey (as uptight Angela) of The Office, who routinely makes me laugh without saying a single word and often without being given much material to work with.

So those are my thoughts. Do you think Emmy got it right or did one of your favorites get screwed over? Let me know what you think so we can vent together or, as always, feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.