Thursday, July 19, 2007

What John Thinks...of the Emmy Nominations Part I: (Drama)

I've been saying it for a while now, but I'll reiterate. The best work (acting, writing, directing, etc) these days is being done on TV, not in the movies.

Unfortunately, the Emmys happen to be the most frustrating of award shows, mostly because of their convoluted voting process and the fact that nominees and winners for shows that span months are largely chosen based on the strength of one episode.

Imagine if the Oscars decided to reward films and actors for one particularly strong scene. Samuel L. Jackson and "A Time To Kill" would've swept the 1997 Academy Awards just based on the "Yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell!" bit.

Anyway, I'm gonna break down the nominees in the major categories (sorry, "Best Achievement in Single Camera Sound Editing in a Comedy Series). I'm going to have complaints. But instead of merely yelling about what should've been nominated, I'm going to do my best to suggest which of the actual nominees I would remove in place of my pick. It's more constructive that way, I think. Let's get to the nominees.

Drama Series

Boston Legal
Grey's Anatomy
Heroes
House
The Sopranos

What John Thinks: Sigh. This is the biggest category of the night (the one they hand out last) and I strongly agree with exactly one nominee ("Sopranos"). I kinda agree with "House", which has a solid, underappreciated ensemble, but it's STILL mostly a one-man show (also, the arc with the rogue cop Tritter stalking House turned out to be lame). Heroes is too uneven. It could be outstanding sometimes, but fall flat on its face other times with laughably bad writing and acting (also, the finale was trés lame). I've already shared my thoughts on "Grey's Anatomy". I mean, I thought it was overrated during its second season, but now that looks like genius compared to this past year (yeah, I'm sure we all thought Meredith was gonna die.) Then, there's Boston Legal, whose presence is sure to piss a lot of snobby people off. Personally, I LOVE this show. The only problem is that it's a comedy.

I'd take out everything except the Sopranos and House and add in Lost (finished SO damn strong), The Shield (Mackey finds Shane's killer…but it doesn't play out like you expected) and Friday Night Lights (I only saw one episode and it was really good…but that's how the Emmys work!) I don't watch Battlestar Galactica, Big Love or The Wire so I can't comment. Finally, I'm one of the biggest "24" fan you'll find, but I'm kinda glad it wasn't nominated…this past season was BRUTAL.

Actor in a Drama Series

James Gandolfini, The Sopranos
Hugh Laurie, House
Denis Leary, Rescue Me
James Spader, Boston Legal
Kiefer Sutherland, 24

What John Thinks: I actually like almost all these choices (nice to see Leary again), including Sutherland, who was good as a more beaten down and emotional Jack Bauer, even though "24" was BRUTAL this year. It's also nice to see Hugh Laurie actually pick up a nom this year. Last year House was nominated, but he was inexplicably snubbed. The only problem I have is with Spader, but that's because Boston Legal is a comedy. I'd take him out and add Michael Chiklis. This category is usually loaded, but Emmy did a decent job.

Actress in a Drama Series

Patricia Arquette, Medium
Minnie Driver, The Riches
Edie Falco, The Sopranos
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order SVU
Kyra Sedgewick, The Closer

What John Thinks: Good work again, by the Emmys and is the first of many instances in which there were six nominees instead of the traditional five. I have no problem with adding an extra slot when there are so many deserving performances all of these ladies do good work. Mostly, I'm just glad I didn't have to go brush my teeth after throwing up in my mouth a bit in response to a nomination for Ellen "Meredith Grey" Pompeo.

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Michael Emerson, Lost
Michael Imperioli, The Sopranos
T.R. Knight, Grey's Anatomy
Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Masi Oka, Heroes
William Shatner (Denny Crane!), Boston Legal

What John Thinks: Again, six nominees, but that's because there are so many deserving candidates. Sorry, but I'd have to take out Shatner (Boston Legal is a COMEDY!) and add in Robert Iler who was brilliant as AJ Soprano in the show's final year. Also, although I have no problem with T.R. Knight (other than George being a waffling, whiny bitch…like most every character on the show), my anti-Grey's bias (what? Can you tell?) would make me take him out and sub in Walton Goggins (Shane!) from The Shield or Dominic Monaghan from Lost or Peter Macnicol (Tom Lennox) from 24. I'd go with Goggins.

Mostly I'm glad O'Quinn and Emerson (so creepy!) got recognized for fantastic work on "Lost."

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Lorraine Bracco, The Sopranos
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters
Katherine Heigl, Grey's Anatomy
Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Aida Turturro, The Sopranos
Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy

What John Thinks: Nice to see Bracco back on the ballot and in the supporting category (not lead) where she belongs. Chandra Wilson and Sandra Oh are the only two reasons to watch Grey's Anatomy…well that and all the sex. EVERY nomination they get is well deserved. Katherine Heigl is too much of an over-actor for me as Izzie, but most of her scenes and storylines are pure Emmy bait (though I still don't buy here being in love with George…they're clearly just friends). I'd definitely take her out and add in the outstanding Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet) from Lost. Since day one I can't figure out where that chick is coming from, and that's mostly due to Mitchell's enigmatic performance.

This is getting long (that's what she said!) how about I take a break, and break down the comedy nominees in a different entry, mkay?

No comments: