Sunday, October 3, 2010

NFL 2010 Week 4 Picks

I didn’t do my picks last week because I was away on vacation.

I didn’t do my picks this week because I put it off on Friday, forgot about it yesterday, and just remember NOW.

It’s just as well: I’m off to a dreadful start (8-8 week 2, 15-17 season), so let’s see if I can turn this sinking ship around.

SAN FRANCISCO @ ATLANTA
It’s as close to a must-win for San Francisco as it can possibly get – the only problem is that, in the Falcons, they’re visiting what may turn out to be one of the best teams in the league. Ah hell, even if the Niners lose, they’re still not out of it in the sorry NFC West.

CINCINNATI @ CLEVELAND
The Browns have held second half leads in each of their first three losses. I’m looking forward to seeing how they manage to blow this one.

N.Y. JETS @ BUFFALO
This smells like a potential trap game for the Jets, but if they really have any serious designs about going to the Super Bowl, they have to beat the worst team in the league, right?

SEATTLE @ ST. LOUIS
Seattle is a different team on the road – a much, MUCH worse team.

DENVER @ TENNESSEE
Don’t ask me why, but I like Denver here. Their passing offense has looked sensational and Tennessee only boast victories over a self-destructing Giants team and, um, the Raiders.

DETROIT @ GREEN BAY
I don’t see how this one will even end up being close, do you?

BALTIMORE @ PITTSBURGH
What the Steelers have done without their franchise quarterback has been fantastic…and I think they’re actually going to keep it going against an up-and-down Ravens team (that couldn’t quite put away the Brown until late last week).

CAROLINA @ NEW ORLEANS
The Saints have yet to look great this year. In a related story, I expect them to look great for the first time this week.

INDIANAPOLIS @ JACKSONVILLE
For some reason, the Jags always play the Colts tough – but that was before the Jaguars morphed into one of the worst, least interesting teams in the league.

HOUSTON @ OAKLAND
I expect a lot offense in this game, but the Texans simply HAVE to go into Oakland and beat the Raiders if they’re going to earn their first playoff berth. (Side note: 4 p.m. starts are HELL for fantasy football leagues! Signed, an Andre Johnson owner.)

WASHINGTON @ PHILADELPHIA
Speaking of fantasy (I swear I’ll stop), I traded Michael Vick (pictured, left) this week because I figured the easy part of his schedule was over, and he helped me get off to a 3-0 start. Of course, I’m being mocked by my more short-sighted fellow owners, who expect him to have a QB rating of 175.8 for the rest of the season. Still, I’d be lying if I wasn’t worried that I made a huge mistake. What I’m saying is that I’m going to be rooting for Michael Vick to look bad (or at least not as terrific) the rest of the year, so I look good.

ARIZONA @ SAN DIEGO
San Diego is kind of a mess, but nowhere near as bad as the Cardinals with Derek Anderson. Anderson will be benched in 10…9…

CHICAGO @ N.Y. GIANTS
Just a few short paragraphs ago, I mentioned that the N.Y. Giants self destructed, and they appear to be on the verge of quitting on head coach Tom Coughlin. If they have any sort of personal pride, they’ll show up and take care of business at home.

NEW ENGLAND @ MIAMI
The Patriots ALWAYS seem to have trouble in Miami, and their defense has been shaky, at best. (Remember when Bill Belichick was considered a defensive genius?) I’m going with the Dolphins.

No comments: