Friday, February 11, 2011

American Idol: Hollywood Singin'

After hearing, “You’re going to Hollywood” for almost a month now, I think it’s a relief for all of us that the show has actually arrived AT Hollywood.

On Thursday night, we saw the contestants take the big stage for what is arguably the most emotionally-wrenching portion of the competition. (And we haven’t even gotten to the reliably dramatic group round yet!)

Since we had so many singers thrown at us — we heard lots of them sing, but we also saw a good number of them advance or get eliminated without hearing a peep — I’ll give you my thoughts on the first Hollywood Round episode as they occur to me.

- I was pretty disappointed that every singer we saw last night had been previously featured on the show. Where was the outta-nowhere sensation to make us go, “Whoa…who is THAT?!”

- 2011 American Idol Sob Story Winner Chris Medina is, sadly, not as good as we want him to be. (I’m assuming most of us want the man who serves as a caretaker for his wheelchair-bound wife to do well in the competition.)

- At least his singing isn’t as bad as his haircut.

- I couldn’t help but enjoy how much Rob Bolin CLEARLY hated being part of an unofficial, extended double date with his ex Chelsee Oaks and perky couple Nick Fink and Jacqueline Dunford.

- Watching Nick (pictured, right) act out a real-life version of “And I’m Telling You, I’m Not Going” after he got eliminated and Jacqueline didn’t should’ve been funnier to me, but it landed squarely in the “tragic” zone. So much for leaving with your dignity intact.

- After that humiliating display, do we think that Jacqueline broke up with him right away, or did she wait a few weeks?

- Accountant Steve Beghun looked just like Will Ferrell in "Stranger Than Fiction." I figured that out just in time to watch him get eliminated. Oh well.

- Most improved for me was Hollie Cavanaugh. After her shaky-at-best double bill audition of “At Last” and “The Climb”, I didn’t think she belonged in Hollywood and thought she’d instantly get swallowed up. Instead, her “When I Look at You” was among the evening’s strongest performances.

- Brett Loewenstern (and his glorious red mane) and Jacee Badeaux were probably my two favorite singers last night. If they survive the group round, I think they can crack the top 12 or 10. (I’d put more money on Jacee.) Maybe lowering the age limit wasn’t such a bad idea.

- Did I just type “Maybe lowering the age limit wasn’t such a bad idea”?!

- Speaking of “not bad ideas”, I think it’s actually really smart for contestants to sing what brung them to Hollywood if that’s the best they’ve got. (Like deep-voiced Scotty McCreery revisiting Josh Turner.) Just because we at home heard it a week or two ago doesn’t mean their initial audition is still fresh in the judges’ minds.

- Anyone out there going miss uber-annoying Victoria Huggins? Anybody out all? (At least she took her outster with dignity…you taking notes, Mr. Fink?)

- Finally, Tiffany “Starboobs” Rios is still here? Really?!

So what’d you think of this episode? What are the chances Nick Fink storms the live stage and tries to sing if Jacqueline makes it that far? Who was your favorite contestant last night? Finally, who’s going to be the group round tyrant/villain?

No comments: