Friday, February 18, 2011

American Idol: A Stand Up Guy

Last night’s episode of “American Idol” was half as long as Wednesday night’s Group Round extravaganza and only had a fraction of the drama.

However, that’s not the worst thing in the world in what is allegedly still a singing competition. Even better, pretty much all the drama was confined to the stage. (Sorry, but I thought it was pretty easy this year to guess which of the two holding rooms were going to get good news from Randy, J.Lo and Steven by who was in there, so the last 10 minutes were pretty drama-free.)

But that was the end of the episode. Let’s talk about everything that led up to that, in no particular order.

- Obviously, Casey Abrams (pictured, right) was the standout last night with his soulful, stand up bass-assisted, (dare I say?) sexy take on “Georgia on My Mind.” The only negative I can think of is that he doesn’t become Andrew Garcia. Remember when Andrew had that great, acoustic rendition of “Straight Up” and spent the rest of his time on the show trying to live up to it? Here’s hoping Casey didn’t have his Idol “moment” too soon. If I had to guess, I’d like to think that Casey has more tricks up his sleeve.

- For the second straight day, “American Idol” desperately tried to make Jacob Lusk “happen”, and for the second straight day I wasn’t totally buying it. I’m a little more convinced after hearing his MONSTER vocal on “God Bless the Child” last night, but my impression of him is still mainly that he’s a ham sandwich on stage and off. (The sobbing was a bit much last night.)

- I preferred Haley Reinhart’s “God Bless the Child”, who came out STRONG as the first singer last night and set the tone for a strong episode.

- To Adrian Michael: Don’t ever blame the band. Even if you happen to be right, you’re a nobody right now, and there’s just now way for you to look good claiming the band is at fault.

- To Chelsee Oaks: Jacqueline Dunford — who had to quit due to illness — was your best friend in the world? REALLY?! (Good riddance to both of you.)

- Between Thia Megia, Jacee Badeaux, Brent Loewenstern, Lauren Alaina and others, there seem to be quite a few 15 and 16 year olds threatening to crack the semifinals/finals. Last night I was most impressed by Thia, who showed me she wasn’t just an Adele impersonator. I was less impressed by her (as my gf Erica put it) horrible “Paula Poundstone sweater.” I was least impressed by Lauren’s tepid revisiting of “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing.” Right now, she’s more likely to flip out and demand that Steven Tyler claim her as his daughter than she is to win “American Idol.”

- I feel like the show as trying to make up for making Clitn Jun Gamboa look like a bad guy after he booted Jacee Badeaux from his group. Not totally sure it worked. The guy can sing, but it’s usually 1-800-TOO-MUCH

- Speaking of flipping out, the goal nwo is clearly to keep advancing Ashley Sullivan so she can have one of her signature meltdowns on live TV. To be honest, I wouldn’t have known that she screwed “Everything” up if she hadn’t repeatedly stopped and started.

- Two guys took on “My Prerogative” last night. I would’ve liked to have heard more of Chris Medina’s acoustic rendition because I’m still trying to figure out if this guy can actually do some real damage in this competition. Meanwhile, OF COURSE Carson Higgins is an “actor.”

- Scotty McCreery (and that other girl) fumbling the words to “I Hope You Dance” was hilarious, as were the captions the show helpfully put up for us. I guess that’s what happens to Scotty when he has to sing something other than Josh Turner’s “Your Man.”

So what’d you think of this episode? Why do so many people have Georgia on their minds? Did any of your favorites miss the cut last night? Finally, are you looking forward to hearing the idols cover the Beatles (again!)?

No comments: