Friday, August 17, 2007

4 Movies in 1 Day - Part III: The Simpsons Movie Review

All right, I dipped into my Nutra grain stash and had just one. I wasn't really hungry, but I thought it was important for me to eat just to keep my strength up. Why am I talking like the Survivorman?

Anyway, up next is The Simpson Movie (mmm, donuts, left), the long-awaited (and creatively titled) movie adaptation of the TV show.

It was one of the funniest movies I've seen all year. The plot has the titular family cast off from Springfield after yet another one of Homer's screwups.

This movie was basically a really good episode of the Simpsons, which is both the best thing about the movie, and the one thing that keeps it from being a great film.

On the positive side, the movie DOES creatively incorporate pretty much every character that appears on the show. The animation is also expanded to the big screen in a subtle, but effective way. Still present is the show's trademark mix of two parts humor and one healthy part of heart, which makes the show special. As screwed up as they are, the Simpsons actually care about each other, and as a result you care about them and the weird people around them. That distinction is why I've never really been a "Family Guy" guy. I mean, FG is funny, but that's about it.

Another thing the Simpsons does well is incorporate its pop culture reference and sight gags in innovative ways. I particularly enjoyed a nice dig at Fox Networks tendency to overpromote their shows. Also, although I'm sure the movie went into production years ago, the story deals with environmental concerns and takes shots at our goverment, both of which are extremely en vogue now, and deals with them in a humorous way (Lisa's presentation "An Irritating Truth")

On a not so positive note, I don't feel like the movie takes full advantage of its move the big screen (the way the South Park movie did, for example). Other than Bart skating through town naked (in a very clever sequence) and Marge letting out a "goddamn", the movie doesn't really push the limits beyond a regular Simpsons episode. Then again, the show's been on for 18 years, so there's only so much they can do that would be new.

Overall, this movie is impressive because after years and years of waiting and big time expectations, the creative team delivered a movie that both satisfied hardcore fans of the show and stands alone as one of the year's best comedies.

Maybe baby Maggie had the right idea when she spoke during the credits: I'm not gonna tell you, you have to see the movie yourself!

The Simpsons Movie...A-

No comments: