Tuesday, August 14, 2007

NFL Preview: AFC West

I started out with the NFC South, so why not go with the next logical division — the AFC West!

AFC West

1. Denver (12-4)
2. San Diego (11-5)
3. Kansas City (6-10)
4. Oakland (2-14)

Denver Broncos: Yes, the Broncos had a tough offseason that had nothing to do with football following the death of two of their players, Darrent Williams and Damien Nash.

They're also going to start the season with a young quarterback with only five career starts, but tons of promise in Jay Cutler (pictured, right).

So why am I picking them to win a division in which they finished third last year. Well, they're going to have a relatively easy, third-place schedule. Their defense was unbelievable for the first part of last year and seemed to kinda come apart after Mike Shannahan (one of those coaches like Mike Holmgren who is branded as a genius even though they never won anything without the likes of John Elway or Brett Favre) unnecessarily benched Jake Plummer after a 7-4 start. In hindsight, it was a good move because Cutler is more ready than he would've been, but it DID kinda kill their season last year.

Finally, the Broncos, as they always do, will be able to run the football. I'll even overlook the fact that a significant reason for their success in running the ball in the past decade is because their offensive lines are taught to cut block.

So, the Broncos: Easy schedule + (very good defense + great running game) = division title.

San Diego Chargers: Ah, San Diago, that glorious city named after a whale's vagina. I looked it up, it's true. Last we saw them, they were crying because some Patriots players were mocking Chargers star Shawne Merriman's "lights out" dance on the Chargers field after San Diego threw that playoff game (AND the season, AND Marty Schottenheimer's coaching career) away.

So these fools lost their composure during the game, and then they cried because someone dared to mock their 'roided-out player's stupid dances. Now comes the news that he's not planning to do the dance at the beginning, but may bring it back at some point. Yipee! The only thing worse than "lights out" was the stupid "jumpshot" celebration the Giants adopted last year. I mean, I don't mind dancing at all, just don't cry about it after you get served.

Also, why does no one seem to care that Merriman (pictured, left) tested positive for steroids?

(Quick rant alert!) I know a lot of people regard him as the best defensive player in the league, but the guy got caught and suspended for using steroids (excuse me, a banned substance). It was no accident that I flatly stated Julius Peppers was better because as far as I know he's not a stinky cheater (though admittedly the Panthers don't have the best track record when it comes to these things). People slam guys like Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire who never tested positive for steroids in their life, but give Merriman a pass. I think they should all be slammed equally. (end of rant)

For extra fun, in addition to firing the head coach, the Chargers lost their offensive and defensive coordinator. Instead they have Norv Turner and his 58-82-1 career record.

Regardless, this team DOES have way too much talent to go completely in the toilet. I expect LT to have another monster year, Phillip Rivers to continue to improve, Merriman to continue to dance and the Chargers to be a wild card team.

Kansas City Chiefs: They smartly let Trent Green go. Green is a solid QB whose best days are clearly behind him and he's also a concussion away from being completely done.

In his place, they have Damon Huard who more than ably filled in for Green last year with 11TDs and only 1 INT. So coach Herman Edwards, who allegedly plays to WIN THE GAME (hello!) decided to bench Huard and go with Green when the later came back from injury. Edwards and Green also went on to completely botch their winnable first-round game against the Colts.

Though Edwards ran Larry Johnson to the ground last year, he gave up on the run remarkably easily against a Colts team who'd been terrible against the rush all season.

Speaking of Johnson, I fully expect him to be completely worn out this year, a problem that'll only partially be solved by the return of Priest Holmes this year. The thing is Johnson also fully expects himself to be completely worn out this year, which is why he's holding out for more money while he can still get it. Unfortunately, the Chiefs also know that Johnson (pictured, right, out of uniform so Chiefs fans get used to this sight once he's hurt) is about to be worn out, which is why they're not paying him.

The Chiefs D is slightly improved under coach Edwards, but it's still not good enough. They will also miss the departure of two future Hall of Famers on the offensive line (Will Shields and William Roaf). As a result, they will miss the playoffs.

Oakland Raiders: How pathetically bad was this team last year? They had 12 TD passes on offense...for the entire season. For those of you scoring at home, there are 16 games in an NFL season. Though I'm not sure why you'd be sitting at home scoring off a blog.

They also boasted one of the worst offensive lines ever, which gave up a league high 72 sacks. To add to the fun, they no longer have Randy Moss (who openly didn't give a damn) and Jerry Porter openly laughed at his teammates last year when they were getting crushed. Sorry, I have to be more specific — when they were getting crushed by the Chargers.

They drafted 1 overall, but their pick is holding out and looks like he probably won't be able to play this year. To make up for it, they have Josh McCown (whenever you have to go to a McCown, things haven't worked out the way you wanted) and signed Aaron Brooks: The Sequel, I mean, Daunte Culpepper (pictured, left).

But hey, the defense wasn't half bad last year. Actually, I happen to think the Raiders defense and their stats were a little overrated last year because, after many teams built large leads on Oakland last year, they would pretty much go to a conservative game plan. Also, I'm not really sure how they'd react in a pressure situation, but fortunately Oakland won't have their problem. They're ok, but they're not THAT good. I'm particularly impressed by Warren Sapp, who was supposed to be washed up about 4 years ago, but continues to play solid football.

Too bad it's for the worst team in the league.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you were way off on this one! Boncos sucked ass! Chargers won the division and now everyone is mocking the dance . . . and lose to the Bolts in the end! Karma's a bitch

John said...

Actually, the Broncos winning the division wasn't even close to being my worst prediction...that would be me picking the Giants to finish last in the NFC East. Oops.

Unknown said...

Are your parents brother and sister
What kinda B.S rant was that
Sounds like you're taking a little too personal Johnny boy
Stick to what you know best - FUCK ALL

Broncos blow, Chargers Go

John said...

Why is everyone on my ass about the Chargers?

Yeah, I was dead wrong about the Broncos (they were a LOT worse than I thought they'd be), but I actually predicted the Chargers record EXACTLY right (11-5).

Shawn- The Chargers showed a lot of heart this past year (for the first time), especially when they went into Indy and beat the Colts with their best players hurt (LT, Rivers and Gates).

However, I stand by every single word I wrote about them a year ago before the start of the '07 reason. They DID act like whiny little bitches after they lost to a Pats team they should've beaten. Also, Shawn Merriman IS a cheater. That's not even my opinion, that's a fact. Finally, guess what? This core group still hasn't really won jack (except for the AFC West title) so I still don't see what they (or their fans) have to be so cocky about. Maybe this'll finally be the year where they cash in on all the promise they have.

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to read my column (even if it was to curse at me) and reiterate my feelings about the Chargers and some of their fans.

(Although I did have to agree with one part of your post...the Broncos absolutely blew!)

John said...

I mean, honestly. I don't get all the hate from Chargers fan. I picked them to finish 11-5 and...they finished 11-5. The only difference is that they won their division instead of finishing second. What's the big deal? It's not like I had them 4-12 and missing the playoffs.

If anyone has a right to trash me, it's Giants fans. I picked them to finish last and fire their coach...and they won the Superbowl! On the other hand, the Chargers did pretty much what I expected them to do: they had a good record, made the playoffs, and came up short of the Superbowl(although they showed more toughness in the process).

Football's probably the most unpredictable sport there is, but I'm not scared of putting myself out there and risk embarrassment (which I did last year, and I'll also do this year). I mean, let's see how you guys had this past season working out...oh wait, I'm sure everything worked out exactly as you all predicted, right?

Still, I really do appreciate you reading and I'm more than happy to keep putting my (wildly inaccurate) predictions out there...if only to provide comedy because of how off I am. Just check back in a few weeks when I start my 2008 preview...that should be a real laugh riot.