Monday, August 4, 2008

Random Thought of the Moment: Aficionado Edition

As a huge fan of the completely random, I thought I'd write a few words about a trend I've noticed lately. Of course, by "lately", I mean the last week and by "trend", I mean something that happened twice.

I was delighted when actress/comedienne Sandra Bernhard was a guest judge on "Project Runway" this week and was given the title "New York nightlife aficionado." (I mean, is "fan of the New York City nightlife" something you'd actually put on a resume?)

I figured that would be my favorite dubious title of the week until last night, when I was watching HGTV's Summer Showdown, and one of the guest judges was "Little Man" auteur and, yep, "design aficionado" Keenan Ivory Wayans. I mean, who knew that, in between directing terrible movies starring his brothers, Wayans had such an affinity for "design." Former Daily Show correspondent Beth Littleford was a guest judge along with Wayans, but I guess her love of "design" isn't strong enough for her to be labeled an "aficionado."

So what's your favorite dubious title? I'm still a fan of "Charity and campaign worker Heather Mills on "Dancing with the Stars" (I guess, "Golddigger" or "amputee" would've been too direct) Finally, what are YOU an aficionado of? (All I know is that if anyone ever holds a "Carrot cake baking" competition, I'm there as the token "carrot cake aficionado.")

No comments: