Monday, November 2, 2009

America's Next Top Recap: Black and White

I know this is REALLY late, but I didn’t get home until around midnight on Wednesday, and I didn’t have a chance to watch this episode until Sunday.

And what an episode it was!

Since everything that could have been said about this “controversial” episode of “Top Model” has already been said, I’ll give you my rapid fire thoughts on the hour instead. (In case anyone cares, I’ll have a proper recap up next time.)

- Let’s just jump into the “controversy” right away. I’m guessing a lot of people took offense to having most of the models don “blackface” during this week’s mostly nonsensical bi-racial photo shoot. (“What happens when men and women from different places come together? Babies – from different cultures!” – Tyra.)

I might’ve been offended myself – if even a miniscule part of me took ANY part of this show seriously. Sure, it would’ve been nice for Tyra to, at least, address the potential for racial insensitivity. However, this show is so far off the rails that I didn’t even think to be scandalized when she announced what the shoot was. (I was more worried about what Barack Obama had done to get dragged into this mess.) On top of that, this isn’t even the first time Tyra has done racial transformations on this show.

- Besides, without Tyra’s nutso line of thinking, we never would’ve gotten as many delightfully awkward moments as we did last night.

Tyra – who doubled as photographer – yelling at Native American/Hindu Brittany to stare at the (nonexistent) eagle. (I also have to give props to the production crew for adding an eagle sound effect at this point, as well as a drumming sound effect when Jennifer was having trouble getting into the Botswana spirit and Mr. Jay told her that “music is heard everywhere you go” in that country.) The best moment, however, was Erin admitting that she knew nothing about Tibet, “except that people want to free it.” The runner-up for best moment was Tyra telling her to think of the Dalai Lama and quickly changing the subject because I’m pretty sure she knows nothing else about Tibet herself. (Other than “people want to free it.”)

- I can’t really make fun of the girls for not knowing what a Malagasy was, since I had no idea that was a person from Madagascar.

- The CW must REALLY be running out of money. No offense to Hawaii, but when “Top Model” goes overseas, they typically go to a different country. Also, I can’t help but feel like the reason behind having Tyra serve as a photographer again was less about making history, and more about saving money on a guest photographer.

- The early part of this episode reminded me that girls don’t get nearly enough credit for being disgusting pigs

-The surfing photo shoot challenge was cool, even if Laura was turning fire engine red before our eyes.

- In case you hadn’t heard, Erin is immature. (This from 21-year-old geezer Brittany.)

- As much as she complains about EVERYTHING, I actually agree with Erin on the relative lameness of a helicopter ride as a reward. Don’t get me wrong, Hawaii is beautiful, but I think six out of six of those girls would have chosen high-end jewelry, clothes or even a photo shoot reward to add to their portfolios over a scenic ride. So I agree with Erin. The only difference is that I’m smart enough to never say that out loud and appear ungrateful.

- Props to Laura for asking for brutal honesty from Tyra, getting it, and adjusting her performance accordingly.

- For the most part, the guest judges on “Top Model” this season have been as lame and forgettable as the guest judges on “Project Runway” have been memorable and insightful.

- Between Erin and Brittany, I would’ve rather seen Erin go home, but I’m not terribly broken up about Brittany the mathematician being sent packing. That’s how little I care about this season.

- Finally, would ANYBODY care if they just canceled the rest of the season and gave the top prize to Nicole (pictured, left)? Anybody at all?

No comments: