Friday, November 20, 2009

Project Runway: And the Winner Is...

I don’t think anyone’s even pretending this has been the strongest season of “Project Runway” in the show’s run.

Still, the fact that I was mostly disappointed in the finale’s Bryant Park runway show tells me that, even after 13 episodes of mostly uninspired fashion, a part of me was STILL holding out for something spectacular to close out season 6.

The fact that the show’s resident villainess won didn’t even register for me. The main reason I was disappointed was because none of the three finalists delivered a collection (or even a single moment) that made me or my girlfriend Erica really say “wow.” I’m not even saying it had to be “wow” in a good way. I would’ve settled for “wow” in a crazy/disgusted/confused way. Unfortunately, the most striking fashion moment of the evening may have been how freaky deaky Ari Fish (the quirky girl who got kicked out first) looked with her mile-long eyelashes.

Irina, Carol-Hannah, and Althea did a solid job, but (call me naïve) I was hoping for a knockout.

Before the show, a good chunk of the episode was devoted to Carol-Hannah’s stomach flu, which flared up again big time. It was at this point that I realized how lucky Carol-Hannah was that the show decided to bring back those three booted designers to lend a helping hand because (if you believe the show’s editing) there’s no way she could’ve finished all her work by herself. (There was also a moment I thought Logan was going to ask Carol-Hannah out while he was comforting her.)

Anyway, after another hint of manufactured plagiarism (to the best of my knowledge you did NOT invent smeared makeup and smoky eye, Irina), it was on to the show.

Now, despite writing about this show for four seasons now (yikes, really?), I’ll be the first to admit that I really have no idea what I’m talking about when it comes to fashion.

I told you that to tell you this: I just don’t care for Althea’s style. I’m sure there’s something I’m missing out, but I’m not into the whole L.A. hipster, baggy trousers on parade scene. To me it looks sloppy. Still, I realize that’s a personal preference. What’s most damning to me is that I still, for the life of me, do NOT see any hint of the “sci-fi from the 1950’s” theme Althea was talking about. (The headbands maybe.)

That being said, Althea’s theme was still more apparent than Carol-Hannah’s (something about Duke University and fairies, right?) The reason I didn’t mind as much is because, in my opinion, Carol-Hannah produced the greatest amount of stunning pieces. More than a few of her dresses were simply spectacular – I just wished they would’ve flowed together better. Or at all.

Irina wrapped up the show with her line about surviving in New York City, which apparently consists of wearing black dominatrix gear and wearing tiny, black hats with details that made them unique. (To be honest, it looked more sci-fi than Althea's.) Irina’s collection CLEARLY had the strongest theme and was the most cohesive.

Still, when Nina Garcia once again chided her for not using color (“We talked about that”) and gave her a withering look, I thought she was done.

In fact, I would’ve bet money that Carol-Hannah was going to win – that shows what I know, since she finished third. At first, I was incredulous, but after further consideration you really DO have to deduct major points from C-H for not coming up with a strong enough theme/point of view for a collection.

That being said, I STILL think Carol-Hannah should’ve finished no lower than second. The judges praised Althea for being plugged into what’s hip and current, so I guess I just don’t care for the way hip people currently dress.

This left Irina, who at least attempted to do something (sorta) outlandish as the deserving winner. She was clearly this season’s “villain”, but I never really hated her. In a season devoid of a breakout personality, I thought she made the show more interesting by saying the (mean) things we were all thinking. Also, she backed up all her smack talk.

Most importantly, her victory made her dad cry, which was fantastic because the guy looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on Lifetime TV last week during Tim Gunn’s visit.

So what’d you think of this episode? Anyone else notice “Top Model” winner Jaslene? Did guest judge Suzy Menkes remind anyone else of a combination between Susan Boyle and Mrs. Doubtfire? (At first I was kinda bummed that there wasn’t a celeb judge, but then I realized we’ve had celeb judges all season.) Finally, did the right person win?

Thanks for reading along all these months. I’ll meet you guys back here in January when season 7 kicks off, ok?

No comments: