Saturday, October 24, 2009

Conflict of Interest: Brandon Jacobs edition

Both of my fantasy football teams are 4-2, so I can’t really complain.

I’m not going to let that stop me.

Though my teams have thankfully been injury-free (searching frantically for a piece of wood to knock on), there have been a couple of letdowns, none bigger that the underwhelming performance of Brandon Jacobs. Panthers wide receive Steve Smith is a close second, but he’s dealing with a crappy quarterback and the fact that defenses can put two or three guys on him each week.

What’s Jacobs’ excuse for not producing? He’s on a good (great?!) team that runs the ball very well (teammate Ahmad Bradshaw has been more effective and productive). Part of the problem is Eli Manning’s success in the air this year, but this is still a team that scores a ton and Jacobs has not been good at all.

I own him in my Yahoo Sports league, and my opponent/league commissioner has him in my Yahoo Plus League. As I mentioned, my record in both leagues is identical, so I don’t really NEED a win in one league over another. (Obviously, I’d still like to win both matchups.)

As a result, I’m going to think long-term. I’m going to hope for a relatively big game from him if for no other reason than to see if he has a pulse and can help me the rest of the season. (The season started in September, Brandon – you’re welcome to start balling whenever you’re ready.)

Dream statline: 22 rushes for 101 yards and 2TDs, and 2 catches for 13 yards.

No comments: