Saturday, October 31, 2009

NFL 2009 Week 8 picks

Almost every game last week was a blowout.

On the other hand, I barely squeaked by with my picks (7-6 week, 69-34 season). This week, I’ll try to give myself a little more breathing room as I handicap some interesting week 8 matchups.

HOUSTON @ BUFFALO
I need one more week to believe Houston is really breaking away from their “perpetually 8-8” reputation. I know Buffalo sucks, but this is the kind of game (on the road in a hostile environment and dealing with the elements) that Houston usually loses.

CLEVELAND @ CHICAGO
I apologize to Derek Anderson (pictured, left). I’ve been so fixated on how bad JaMarcus Russell is that I’ve unfairly neglected Anderson’s hideous performance this season. How bad is Anderson? Last week, I needed a bye week fill-in on my two-QB squad and I seriously considered leaving that slot empty out of fear that Anderson would give me negative points. Anderson gave me negative points.

SEATTLE @ DALLAS
Last week, the Cowboys finally beat someone good (Atlanta). I’m now on board and they should take care of a Seahawks team that is not very good.

ST. LOUIS @ DETROIT
As many shots as I take at the Bucs, the Rams are MUCH worse. I feel bad for their fans.

DENVER @ BALTIMORE
I just don’t see the Ravens losing four in a row, and the Broncos have to lose eventually. (Right?!)

SAN FRANCISCO @ INDIANAPOLIS
I’m currently wearing a cast on my ankle – I broke it jumping off the 49ers bandwagon. Seriously though, the season is crumbling and the fate of the team has been placed in Alex Smith’s (tiny?) hands. No thanks.

MIAMI @ N.Y. JETS
The Dolphins are just a REALLY bad matchup for the Jets. (And most people)

N.Y. GIANTS @ PHILADELPHIA
The Giants have lost two straight, but the Eagles haven’t exactly set the world on fire with a lackluster win against the Redskins and an embarrassing loss to the Raiders. Still, I like the Eagles at home.

JACKSONVILLE @ TENNESSEE
I don’t think Vince Young is any good. However, I believe his mere presence will energize his teammates (especially that defense) and help them get their first win. Or, he could completely stink it up and lose by three TDs. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

OAKLAND @ SAN DIEGO
The reason Russell is still worse than Anderson is that Anderson has at least had ONE good season.

CAROLINA @ ARIZONA
Hmm, Arizona’s defense thrives off of turnovers and Jake Delhomme threw a pick while I was writing this sentence.

MINNESOTA @ GREEN BAY
I believe Green Bay will pay a LOT more attention to Brett Favre than they did in that previous Monday Night game because the last thing they want is for Favre to come into Green Bay and embarrass them the way he did in Minnesota. Unfortunately, for them, that means Adrian Peterson will likely run wild.

ATLANTA @ NEW ORLEANS
What else do the Saints have to do to prove they’re REALLY good? Let’s just hope they don’t fall asleep at the wheel. (I don’t believe that’ll happen on Monday Night Football.)

No comments: