Tuesday, January 12, 2010

John's Top 10 TV Shows of 2009

If you think this is late, allow me to point out the fact that I didn’t get around to publishing my “Top 10 Shows of 2008” until Feb. 16, 2009.

Who knows? If I keep this trend going, I may actually have my “Top 10” list for 2010 ready in, well, 2010!

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Instead, let’s look back at the year that was in television. And if you haven’t gotten your fill of reminiscing quite yet, be on the lookout for my top 10 movies of 2009 (which I usually publish around Oscar time once I’ve had a chance to see as many of the awards contenders as I can) and my top 10 movies of the decade (which I plan to finish up…sometime…maybe even this year).

Before we get to the main event, let’s recognize some shows outside the top 10. (Also, apologies to show I haven’t gotten around to watching, which include “Dexter”, “True Blood”, “Big Love”, and anything on CBS.)

WORST SHOW OF THE YEAR

Scrubs: Ok, I realize “Scrubs” is probably not REALLY the worst show of the year. However, given the fact that it’s gone from one of my favorite shows of all time, to a show that declined significantly in quality before rallying to finish strong, (that beautiful finale with J.D. leaving the hospital) to a show that I absolutely cannot stand to watch anymore (Kerry Bishe IS terrible), it gets my nod as the worst of the year. Trust me – this hurts me more than it hurts you.

BEST SHOW THAT MIGHT BE THE WORST SHOW OF THE YEAR

Glee: Is there a more uneven show on TV? The good: some of the best zingers in primetime (most of them delivered by Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester), the mix of unabashed cheesiness with razor sharp satire (the scene in “Sectionals” with the TOTALLY oblivious judges was an instant classic!) The bad: too often this show has downright terrible pacing (it felt like it took YEARS to get to Sectionals and some of the obstacles were laughable in a bad way) and plotting (let me get this straight: we’re SUPPOSED to root for our protagonist to ditch his wife? Also, he went entire months without touching her stomach?!) Still, the cast is too good and the show is too unique for me to stop watching.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Cougar Town: It seems like creator Bill Lawrence packed up all the funny from “Scrubs” and brought it over to “Cougar Town”, where (an occasionally grating, but ultimately winning) Courtney Cox leads a pretty great, appealing little ensemble.

Jersey Shore: It’s as funny (at times even intentionally!) as any sitcom in primetime and introduced the world to the likes of Snooki and “The Situation” (perhaps the best nickname ever). MTV clearly gave up the idea of having anything to do with music years ago. I suppose the least they can do is put on a show that’s more entertaining than the last 10 “Real Worlds” combined. Actually, the only reason I don’t put it in my top 10 is because I can’t have “Jersey Shore” AND my #10 show of the year on my “Best of” list because I don’t want to lose all credibility. I’m comfortable losing only MOST of my credibility. (Oh, good point - I never HAD any credibility.)

THE TOP 10

10. Celebrity Apprentice: Yes, I realize this is trash. I also know that this is the show that inspired the most spirited debate in my home. (That probably says more about my home than the quality of the show.) Dennis Rodman was revealed to be an alcoholic. Tom Green was revealed to be one of the saner celebs. Clint Black was revealed to be a dick. Most importantly, you were either on Team Annie Duke or you were wrong. (Bring it on, Team Rivers!)

9. Men of a Certain Age: One good thing about not compiling this list until now is that this show snuck on there at the last minute. Star/producer Ray Romano proves to be a surprisingly effective dramatic actor, Scott Bakula’s likability makes his scoundrel 100 times more palatable and Andre Braugher will be in the running for his third Emmy if enough people pay attention to this show. Braugher is EXCELLENT as one of the titular men coping with the various indignities of middle age with a perfect mix of humor and honesty.

8. 30 Rock: Other than a few wrinkles — I like Cheyenne Jackson as the new Canadian cast member — this show is pretty much the same. Liz Lemon (aka Lesbian Yellow Sourfruit) is still unlucky in love, Jack Donaghy is still simultaneously trying to run GE and keep it from going under, and Tracy and Jenna are still immaturely making Liz’s life a living hell. Then again, if I were Tina Fey and my show was an awards magnet (including the last three Emmys for Best Comedy Series), I probably wouldn’t change too much either

7. Ugly Betty: When you weren’t watching (i.e. Friday nights) this show got REALLY good again. The show has used interesting new pairings (Daniel/Marc, Amanda/Claire) to spice things up, but the most important change was having the title character grow up. Betty Suarez now has a new job (associate features editor) and a new wardrobe (now more stylish than garish), but remains the likable center for all the craziness at Mode magazine.

6. The Office: Well this is kind of a precipitous fall for what I often call “the best show on TV.” Sure, it remains one of the best comedies on the air today, but I feel by having its most lovable characters grow up (Jim and Pam) the show has sacrificed some of the funny in season 6. (Let’s agree to not mention “Mafia” again.) Still, there’s plenty to love. The acting is still top-notch and the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline from the spring was a winner (as was the recent “Niagara” wedding episode.) On top of that, I commend the sitcom for (unlike “30 Rock”) taking a chance and having its characters grow up. (Jim now knows that being a boss is MUCH harder than it looks, but I hope John Krasinski gets to be funny again soon.)

5. Parks and Recreation: If you had told me that one day I would be ranking this show above “The Office” after it debuted this past spring, I would’ve told you that was crazy talk. (Unless I was ranking crappiest crap I’ve seen recently.) Still, when it came back in the fall, Amy Poehler was allowed to do more than just give a second-rate Michael Scott impersonation and the rest of the terrific, likable cast fell into place. This wins my “Most Improved” award.

4. Friday Night Lights: Now I haven’t seen any of season 4 (currently airing on Direct TV), so this ranking is for season 3, which gave a couple of original characters (Jason Street and Smash Williams) emotional and fitting farewells, expertly incorporated some new blood into the fold (D.W. Moffett was an outstanding bastard as Joe McCoy) and, oh yeah, gave us a game-changing turn of events at the end (Coach Taylor is fired by Dillon High School and takes over the hard-scrabble East Dillon program). All the while Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton continue to be the most likable (fictional) couple on TV.

3. Mad Men: I was a little dubious at the start (things were moving slowly and Don seemed to learn NOTHING), but the third season of “Mad Men” quickly kicked into overdrive with style and plenty of excitement. Of course, this being “Mad Men”, this excitement was probably more understated and stately than most people would’ve preferred, but the beautiful directing, writing and acting kept me on the edge of my seat. (Jon Hamm acted his ASS off in the scene where Betty confronts Don about his drawer.)

2. Lost: Sure, it seemed at times that a physics degree was required to follow everything that was happening in the drama’s time-travel heavy fifth season. (The show was self-aware about its complexity yet refused to talk down to its audience.) Then, the same thing that always happens to me with this show happened again. I was absolutely drawn in by the biggest and best cast in primetime (Josh Holloway particularly stepped up this year) who made their characters come to life to the point that it didn’t matter that I couldn’t always follow what was happening – I wanted to follow this group of people to the very end. And the show certainly set up that final season in a hell of a terrific way!

1. Modern Family: When I saw the pilot, I said it was the best comedy pilot I’d seen in years. Since the show has actually gotten better since then, I haven’t stopped laughing. The cast is fantastic (especially Ed O’Neill, Eric Stonestreet and Ty Burrell, TV’s next great dumbass) and the writing is both warm and sharp. Still, my favorite thing about “Modern Family” is that it doesn’t resort to using any gimmicks. It’s not interested in being overly ironic or hip, it’s not interested in being overly dark or shocking to show how edgy it is. Even the sentimental moments rarely veer off into Velveeta territory. The writers do an incredible job in finding the comedy in a group of people who care for each other and bringing us a show that’s both 100% current and a bit of a throwback.

No comments: