Wednesday, January 6, 2010

NFL Wild Card Weekend Picks

This basically looks like one big rerun.

Each of the four playoff matchups this weekend are rematches of regular season contests. Three out of those four games took place just last week!

The big difference, of course, is that all the teams involved in this Saturday’s Wild Card weekend playoff games will actually be trying. (Why even show up to the stadium, Arizona?) I’m also a fan of rematches because I’m curious to see whether the team that lost the first time will be vengeful enough to overcome the winning team’s confidence.

With the regular season over (I finished with a decent 152-91 record overall), I’m wiping the slate clean. Let’s jump right into these playoff games, ok?

N.Y. JETS @ BENGALS
This is the first matchup, and it’s the toughest one of the weekend for me to call.

First of all, I actually believe the Bengals were trying to win that Sunday night game in the beginning (despite resting Cedric Benson) – the only problem was that the Jets absolutely dominated them. The Jets are a nightmare of a matchup for the Bengals, who can’t throw the ball downfield (and may be missing Chad Johnson) to open up the running game.

But do I REALLY want to take a rookie QB (a shaky, turnover-prone rookie QB, at that) on the road in his first playoff game? I actually like Sanchez (despite that pathetic wisp of a playoff beard he’s had going on the last few weeks, pictured, left), so I think I do.

PHILADELPHIA @ DALLAS
The Cowboys look great, there’s no way around that fact. You’ve been roped in, haven’t you? Now there’s actually talk of picking up Wade Phillips’ option and maybe giving him an extension. You’re officially sucked in. I feel bad for you.

BALTIMORE @ NEW ENGLAND
This makes no logical sense (especially with the Patriots losing WR Wes Welker), but I’m just completely out of love with the Ravens. They always seem to underperform and beat themselves when they play anyone who’s any good. Also, don’t the Patriots usually just find a way?

GREEN BAY @ ARIZONA
I’m not falling for you “stumbling into the playoffs before going on a hot streak” act anymore. Nice try, Cardinals.

No comments: