Friday, December 28, 2007

NFL Week 17 Picks

Other than the first week of the NFL season (where you don't know for sure who's good and who's not), week 17 is the toughest to predict. You don't know who's going to be playing hard, and who's going to be mailing it in (pictured, left).

Even though I had another typical week for me (10-6 week, 141-89 overall), it's going to be particularly tough considering I didn't watch a single game last week (I was too busy running around NYC). Either way, I shall do my best. So for the last time in the 2007 regular season — on to the picks!

NEW ENGLAND @ NY GIANTS
Even with all the talk of who will play and for how long, and who will sit, it comes down to this — New England's backups have always been better or just as good as your guys as long as Tom Brady is piloting the ship.

SEATTLE @ ATLANTA
I'm not even sure why Seattle would send their starters cross country to Atlanta, much less play them. I'm going with Atlanta to pick up a win for interim coach Emmitt Thomas, who they seem to like. But they won't win by much because they're still horrible.

NEW ORLEANS @ CHICAGO
It's the much-anticipated rematch of last year's NFC title game — except for the "much-anticipated" part. Nice job, Bears.

SAN FRANCISCO @ CLEVELAND
I'm still shaking my head over Cleveland's loss to Cincinnati last week. I'm actually taking the newly frisky Niners. Shaun Hill has got this team moving (buh bye, sucky Alex Smith) and Cleveland's D is atrocious.

DETROIT @ GREEN BAY
I see Detroit finally snapped out of their two-month coma last week with a win against KC. Unfortunately, it was much too late and I expect them to lose big to the Pack and a healthy dose of Aaron Rodgers.

CINCINNATI @ MIAMI
I know Cincinnati's been a huge disappointment, and everyone's up on the Dolphins since they actually won a game, but let's try to keep some perspective — they've still won only one out of 15 games people.

BUFFALO @ PHILADELPHIA
It's too bad Philly didn't play the entire season the way they've played the past few weeks. I expect them to finish strong in what is probably Donovan McNabb's last home game in an Eagles uniform.

CAROLINA @ TAMPA BAY
Carolina is another team that's shown some life toward the end of the season. Also, the Bucs have absolutely no interest in playing any of their important guys to win this game.

JACKSONVILLE @ HOUSTON
I can never pick the Texans correctly, so I'm picking the Jags, so that if the Texans win and finish 8-8 (their first ever non-losing season) it will be a neat little thing for them. Now all they have to do in return is agree to bust out their awesome all-red uniforms full-time instead of the boring dark blue they usually wear.

DALLAS @ WASHINGTON
I'd like to see Washington win and go to the playoffs given all the adversity they've endured this season (the Sean Taylor tragedy being the biggest example) and I think they will, even though Brad Johnson, Terry Glenn and other Cowboys who haven't gotten much playing time this year might make it closer than you think.

PITTSBURGH @ BALTIMORE
For some reason I stopped mentioning who I thought the worst team in the league was a few weeks back, but if Baltimore lost to an 0-13 team, doesn't that make them a strong candidate. You know what? It's between them and Atlanta, but for the sheer disappointment factor, I'm going with the Ravens.

ST. LOUIS @ ARIZONA
Honestly, who cares?

KANSAS CITY @ NY JETS
It's the Herm Edwards Bowl! No doubt, he'll PLAY TO WIN THE GAME, but I'm actually going with the Jets.

SAN DIEGO
@ OAKLAND
LT won't play much, but San Diego has two guys (Michael Turner and Darren Sproles) who have rushed over 100 yards when LT has gone to the bench with an early lead. They'll be fine without him.

MINNESOTA @ DENVER
Denver is still dead to me, and Minnesota has, not one, but two very good running backs who will run wild on their terrible rush defense.

TENNESSEE @ INDIANAPOLIS
I know Tennessee controls its own destiny. If they win, they get in the playoffs. What's the deal with people saying a team controls its own destiny? Destiny, by definition, can't be controlled. Anyway, I'm taking the Colts to win because they're always tough in their dome, because their backups (who will play the majority of the game) have gotten a ton of playing time this year, and because I think Peyton Manning will be in there longer than people think since Marvin Harrison might play and attempt to shake some of the rust off his game.

No comments: