Thursday, December 18, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 16 Picks:

Coming off my fantasy football playoffs high, I (over)shot for a 16-0 mark with my picks last week. I obviously came up well short (9-7 week, 140-83-1 overall), but I’m not going to let that discourage me.

Let’s just get to the part where I pick this week’s games and I ask you to root for my Yahoo Sports Fantasy team. Don’t judge me, there’s a $350 pot at stake and poppa needs to pay his bills!

INDIANAPOLIS @ JACKSONVILLE
It was nice to see that Jacksonville actually hadn’t given up on the rest of the season (despite all the evidence to the contrary). They also beat the Colts in Indy earlier this year, but the Colts need one more win to get into the playoffs and I think they get it tonight.

BALTIMORE @ DALLAS
I think Dallas wins this game and definitively convinces everyone that they’re a legit Super Bowl contender (that defense IS fierce). It should also put the Cowboys in line for another glorious playoff meltdown. (Sorry, but I just don’t see this guy “leading” ANY team to a Super Bowl.)

CINCINNATI @ CLEVELAND
My goodness — this might be the worst game of the year! The Bengals are actually showing signs of life, while Browns coach Romeo Crennel (pictured, right) hasn’t shown any signs of life since last October.

SAN FRANCISCO @ ST. LOUIS
I mean, it’s better than the dreaded Bengals/Browns game, but not by much.

NEW ORLEANS @ DETROIT
Remember how I rode the Giants wave throughout the middle of the season by just picking them to win every week? Well, the Lions are the bizarro version of that.

PITTSBURGH
@ TENNESSEE
I think if Tennessee went all out they could win, but I’m hearing whispers that they may not really care too much about winning this game and losing home field advantage in the playoffs to the Steelers. I’m listening to the whispers and going with the Steelers.

MIAMI @ KANSAS CITY
After last week, I’m done with the Chiefs. The question now isn’t IF they’ll lose, but in what improbably inept way they’ll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

ARIZONA @ NEW ENGLAND
I hope someone remembers to wake the Cardinals up when the playoffs start.

SAN DIEGO @ TAMPA BAY
The Bucs are back at home where they’re undefeated and where, hopefully, they won’t give up another 600 rushing yards.

HOUSTON @ OAKLAND
Yay! The Texans are doing the thing where they finish a season strong (without the pressure of competing for a playoff spot, of course) and get idiots like me fired up about their prospects for the following season. Assholes! (Actually, if Andre Johnson and/or Matt Schaub could drop another 40 point fantasy week for my title game, all is forgiven.)

BUFFALO @ DENVER
Buffalo can’t beat anyone that’s any good and Denver is, um, good(?) I just flipped a coin and decided that Denver is good(ish).

N.Y. JETS
@ SEATTLE
Since everyone is sort of expecting the Jets to trip over themselves on their way to the playoffs and lose this week, I actually think they’ll pull this one out. By the way, if you needed proof that Pro Bowl voters don’t actually watch the games, look no further than Brett Favre’s Pro Bowl selection. I mean, have you WATCHED the guy play the past month?

ATLANTA @ MINNESOTA
One more win and Vikings fans will officially convince themselves that Tarvaris Jackson can win a playoff game. I can’t wait.

PHILADELPHIA @ WASHINGTON
I’d like to believe that the Redskins have SOME pride and won’t completely lie down for the rest of the season, especially to a hated divisional opponent at home. Of course, I’d probably like to believe this because I have Clinton Portis on my fantasy team.

CAROLINA @ N.Y. GIANTS
I guess people were just being too nice to the Giants and they had nothing to rebel against. Now that everyone’s telling them that they’re no good, don’t be surprised to see them rip off four straight wins and get to the Super Bowl.

GREEN BAY @ CHICAGO
What the hell happened to you, Packers? I thought only Favre moved on to the N.Y. Jets — I didn’t realize your entire defense had moved on too.

No comments: