Monday, January 19, 2009

Desperate Housewives: Handy Man-ipulative

“This episode is kind of stupid.”

Sometimes my girlfriend Erica sums thinks up more accurately and succinctly than I can ever hope to. The aforementioned quote is related to her thoughts on “Desperate Housewives” 100th episode, which followed the death of the heretofore unseen handyman Eli Scruggs (pictured, left). The landmark episode was heavy on flashbacks as each of the main characters (sorry Katherine) remembered how Eli had touched their lives.

Erica simply stood up, walked to her computer and started playing games. I, on the other hand, sat through the entire miserably, manipulative hour because I’m a TV masochist that way. In case, I’m not being clear, let me put it this way: outside of the terrible second season, this was the WORST episode of “Desperate Housewives” I’ve seen, which is pretty funny because a quick scan online reveals that people actually think this is the BEST episode of the series. (Then again, maybe I’m just cranky because I sliced my lip open Friday morning and I have 10 stitches in.)

With this being the 100th episode, I can certainly understand the desire from the writers to put a hold on advancing current storylines in favor of looking back at some of the ladies’ origins. Hell, I enjoy watching the housewives’ ever-changing hairstyles and Mary Alice’s yearly on-screen appearances as much as the next “DH” fan. However, my main problem with this episode can, once again, be summed up by Erica.

“If this guy was so important, how come we never saw him before?”

I’m fully aware that we have not met every single person who lives on Wisteria Lane these past five years. But you’d think, over the course of 100 episodes, that we’d at least hear about he guy who helped shepherd Bree’s cookbook empire or the guy who saved Lynette’s daughter’s life! (Felicity Huffman WAS excellent in this scene, as usual.) If this were the second or, maybe even, third season, they could get away with introducing such an apparently pivotal character late in the game, but at this point it’s just absurd.

What was even more annoying was the near-saintliness of the Eli character. (I say “near-saintliness” because even that dude isn’t above passing up sex when a desperate housewife throws herself at him.) For some reason, Eli was always at the right place at the exact right time, and always knew exactly what to say. I know “Desperate Housewives” isn’t winning any believability awards any time soon, but this was really stretching out. I was waiting for the reveal at the end that Eli had some sort of magical powers.

The only thing that could’ve possibly made the character more manipulative is if the show had cast a black actor, making Eli one of those prototypical “wise black man” helpers who are always there to help silly white people. Beau Bridges did a decent job as Eli, but couldn’t you just see Bill Cobbs or James Earl Jones playing the same role?

Still, what’s most infuriating about this episode is that we learned almost nothing new about the ladies we’ve grown to know and (mostly) love. It’s ok with me if the show wants to pause and look back at the ladies origins, but these flashbacks better be worth our time. The one true piece of surprising information was that Edie was once married to a gay gym rat named Umberto.

Other than that, what did we “learn”? We learned that Eli was the one who helped inspire Bree to write her cookbook after first husband Rex shot her down. Unfortunately, this (and Rex’s jerky behavior) felt more like it was shoehorned to give Bree a worthy flashback rather than something that happened organically. We also “learned” that Lynette wanted to stop having kids and go back to work (we knew that since the pilot) and we “learned” that Susan becomes a bawling mess when one of her relationships falls apart. (We figured out that Susan can’t be alone just LAST episode!)

The one highlight was Gabby’s flashback, because it’s always fun to see Eva Longoria Parker playing the bitchier/funnier aspects of Gabby’s personality. We caught up with Gabby a month after moving to Wisteria Lane, but still missing big city life and “doing vodka shots with Kate Moss.” Fortunately for her, Eli scored Gabby an invite in the neighborhood’s weekly poker game before Gabby proceeded to trash all of the ladies small-town lives. The best line of the episode was Gabby saying to Mary Alice that she felt like putting a gun to her own head sometimes. Great stuff. Eventually, Eli encouraged Gabby to straighten herself out and she made things right with a basket of muffins.

Unfortunately, this was the episode’s first flashback and everything went downhill from there. Things ended with Eli’s arrival in Wisteria Lane and with Mary Alice generously offering to let Eli fix her vase and giving the handyman much needed work and referrals.

You could say that Mary Alice saved Eli’s life. Unfortunately, he couldn’t return the favor, as we caught up the two moments before her suicide. Eli could sense Mary Alice was troubled, but still left her alone. From that moment on, Eli vowed to lend a helping hand to everyone he came across who was in trouble.

So we’re meant to believe that’s why Eli was such an influential figure in all the flashbacks we’d seen up to that point. The only problem is that the bulk of those flashbacks took place BEFORE Mary Alice’s death, so the whole “Mary Alice inspired Eli to help people” emotional twist doesn’t really work. Neither does having Bree “fix” the flowers on Eli’s casket — you’re blatantly trying to get a tear out of me, and it’s not going to work, writers.

So what’d you think of this episode? Do you also conveniently have major arguments in front of your handyman? I know Bree and Rex had a troubled marriage, but was he always such a condescending asshole? Finally, since everyone else is LOVING this episode, go ahead and disagree with me in the comments section.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was brilliant. Maybe you should let your stitches heal before you post.

Topher Payne said...

There was heated debate on our sofa last night. I really liked this episode, and my husband just wanted to get back to the good stuff we left off from last week. He’s very pro-Dave Williams and Bree the mother-in-law storylines.
"Lost" did a similar concept to this a few seasons back with inserting two new actors into the pre-existing story in an episode about a jewel heist that we will hate and be confused by forever. Funny how I hate, hate, hated that episode, but this show used the idea to an advantage. While I didn't gain any particular new insight or big surprises with the Wisteria wives through this episode, it just plain worked for me because I care about their histories. The stories served to reinforce who these women are, and how far they've come in the last 100 episodes, with one exception I’ll get to in a second.
And even my sullen hubby conceded the Mary Alice story (GRUBER LIVES!) was extraordinary. I want Marc Cherry to shock as all next season and have it take place fifteen years in the past, just so I can have Mary Alice scenes every week.
All that said, I have some issues:
*The scene where Karl's left Susan: Wasn't that set in her rebuilt house, and not her original pre-fire house? I'd have to check back to pictures from Season One. Surely they wouldn't miss such a big detail, so I could be wrong.
*Bree and Gabby were so transformed by the flashback makeovers. I think it's the first time I've really noticed just how much those characters' looks have changed.
*Susan's time travel was less successful for me. Part of it was physical: Her face is quite different from how it looked when the series began. She's lost weight, and she’s all sharp angles now in that odd Madonna kind of way. Her features don't have the same softness they once did. The other part may have been performance, or may be the central weakness of the character: Seeing the cast play the characters as they did five years ago (ten, in the world of the show) really illuminated the journey we’ve watched these women take. And Susan seemed exactly the same to me. I constantly forget that she has a marketable skill (because she never, EVER works), or that she’s raising a six year-old. Remember how impressed everyone was by Bree becoming a published author? Well guess who else is? Susan Meyer. Apparently she’s built a whole career on it. But nobody, not even Susan, thought to mention that. Her character arc has been the least profound on the show, and tonight highlighted that. It’d be neat if the writers challenged themselves: Go an entire season without ever doing a story on Susan’s love life. Give her a disease. If Dave kills Catherine or Mike, have Susan become a vigilante. Or do something with her two kids and writing career. I don’t care, just ANYTHING. Hatcher is floundering after one hundred episodes with variations on a single goal.
*How the hell did they make Carlos buff and trim again? His scenes looked like they were outtakes from Season One. We all know Longoria's been wearing padding this season, has he been as well?
*I don't remember Rex being that much of a jerk. Is it just me, or did his character feel different than when he was on the show?
*Sweet lord, Mary Alice is a tall woman.
*Why does Penny do her fraction homework in the front yard, by moonlight? I’m no optometrist, but that seems bad for your eyes.
*Here’s another writer challenge: Having Penny do anything other than run on, complain about something, and then leave. So far, it’s all the child has done since she started speaking.
*The wigs in the flashbacks were all fantastic, which got me to thinking: Did they fire the stylist who did Lynette’s wig in the first four episodes of this season and presumably Dixie Carter’s five-dollar Gloria wig a while back? Because that person really needs a new line of work. For reals.
*Catherine got shafted in this episode. Not even one line, not even standing with the gals at the casket? Captain Control Freak didn’t wanna help cater the wake? Of course, maybe she was supporting Mike. Given the number of plumbing-related jobs Eli did, they must have been bitter rivals.
*Speaking of which, Eli AND Mike? If you can fix a drain on Wisteria Lane, Edie will totally do you.

John said...

Ha ha,

Maybe I should! (These stitches are seriously a nightmare)

However, I still 100% stand behind everything I wrote. I'm glad you (and so many other people) enjoyed it though. It's not like I WANT to hate an episode of anything I watch. I guess I just expected something more than a glorified clip show anchored by a manipulative storytelling device for the show's 100th episode.

John said...

Topher-

Thanks for the incredibly detailed commentary (and for making me feel considerably less self-conscious about how much I write).

As I mentioned in my recap, I'm kind of ok with the show not moving any storylines forward, as long as the flashbacks aren't a complete waste of time. That being said, I really like your point about the flashbacks serving the purpose of highlighting just how far the women have come since the start of the show. (Also, there's no excuse for me not mentioned the brief return of Mrs. Gruber in my recap.)

The problem is, they mostly haven't come that far. As far as I can tell Susan and Edie are exactly the same. However, Lynette, Bree and Gabby's flashbacks become more bearable if I think about the episode the way you just described it.


Despite all that I still have A LOT of problems with this episode, some of which you mentioned. Thank you for sorta-confirming that Rex wasn't always that big of a jerk. Also, this would've been the perfect time to give Katherine some much-needed screen time since she allegedly live on Wisteria Lane years back.

Of course, I had a problem with the Eli character himself. Like you said, "Lost" attempted to do something like this and it was mostly a failure since the fans hated Nikki and Paolo. However, on "Lost" the characters were meant to stand-in for the background people on the island we never seen and always wondered about (ok, maybe we didn't wonder about them) and were fairly insignificant.


Eli, on the other hand, was apparently a neighborhood fixture for years and even saved one of the housewives' daughter's life! To me, it's much more unbelievable to bring in someone like that so late in the game. Plus, I realize I mentioned this in the recap, but the character's insane goodness was so over the top, I expected him to have magic powers by the end.

Either way, thanks for reading the recap and for offering such a thoughtful response (and not resorting to name calling, as happens to often on the Internet), despite clearly disagreeing with much of what I wrote.

Unknown said...

I liked what you wrote
and I totally agree, that episode was a waste of time. I couldn't believe it.
I also think (and Im a big fan of the show, this is honest. I don't mean to be disrespectful) that the performance of the actresses was even a bit cheesy.. they have been cheesier this season, compared to when the show started, but this episode crossed the line (with an exception, and I agree once again: Felicity Huffman was great, as always).

John said...

Raven,

I agree with what you said. I know the show's always been a mix of comedy and drama, but this season seems to be favoring MELOdrama over the biting comedy the show is really known for.

Erica said...

They should have had the Green Mile guy play Eli. Other than that, I didn't buy that Gabi made her own muffins. She so bought those at Wisteria's corner grocery store. (She bought them from the thoughtful baker who changed her life ;)

John said...

Ha,

I don't think even the Green Mile guy was as good and as knowledgeable as this Eli guy was supposed to be. Besides, we all know that the show has unofficially banned black people from the show after the disastrous second season with Alfre Woodard and family.

Also, you're totally right about Gabby buying those muffins...NO WAY she made those. Question is, does that take away from her "gesture"?

Topher Payne said...

Erica-
Absolutely she bought them from the baker who changed her life. And in the final episode of the series, we shall learn more about this baker. How his muffins helped Gabby win friends on Wisteria Lane. How he saved the day by replacing a cake Bree dropped on her way to a TV producer's wedding, which led to her getting a TV show. How the baker found Parker and Porter cutting school in 8th grade, and helped Lynette once again believe she's an unfit mother. How, when Edie helped him find a new location for his bakery, he taught her to make muffins for Dave, paving the way for a successful marriage. And then he slept with her.
And Susan? Oh hell, he gave her a free cookie when she was crying over a man or something. Who really cares, the woman never grows.
And we finally learn that the note sent to Mary Alice was actually from HIM, to PAUL. Because Paul was having an affair with the baker's wife. In the final moment of the series, the baker extracts his revenge, running over Paul Young just after he's paroled from prison.
And then someone breaks up with Susan.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes character development doesn't necessarily mean introducing new, shocking details about the lives of the women we've all come to know and love. Sometimes it is about going back and adding depth to what we already know. I think we all agree that Gabby's flashback was brilliant. I have had a fight with my husband in front of the handyman, so it isn't unrealistic. I've also had heartfelt conversations with handymen.. I can tell you, as a bored housewife, it happens.


Susan's flashback was actually quite enlightening. It showed her through three different breakups.. and we never really SAW the immediate aftermath of the Mike divorce. It was interesting to see how differently she reacted to all of the break-ups. She was angry with Carl, heartbroken with Mike, and mostly indifferent about the most recent guy who is so insignificant on my radar that I can't even remember his name.

Bree's flashback didn't really seem forced to me either. My husband is great... but we still have the same fight. He tells me I should get a job, I tell him I already have a job cooking and cleaning and busting my butt making home a nice place to be. Then I come up with an idea to make money and he shoots it down...

I will say there are many things that stretch the boundaries of believability in this show.. MANY things... but this episode was actually one of the least contrived ones I've seen.

John said...

@ Anonymous.

Thanks a LOT for your comment. (It's especially surprising since I wrote this recap about two years ago.)

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode as much as you did, but I still stand by everything I wrote. Now, if you'll excuse me, my cable guy is here and I don't want to overlook the life-changing effect he'll undoubtedly have on my life.

Seriously though, thank you for your well thought-out and well-expressed counter point. It's always appreciated.