Friday, January 2, 2009

NFL Wild Card Weekend Playoff Picks

Happy New Year and welcome to my first posting of 2009!
Like everyone else I've resolved to drop a little excess weight in the new year. I've also made an unofficial vow to write these blogs in a more timely fashion.

I'm sort of already failing on the front seeing as how I haven't written anything in a week (blame the holidays!) and I've got a growing backlog of reviews I have to churn out. Don't believe the rumors that I went into a self-imposed exile after the Bucs concluded a truly monumental collapse (losing the Raiders at home? Really?!)

(I'm so over that team — call me when we get an offensive-minded head coach who can actually improve our offense, our defense gets its head out of its ass or we spend a good chunk of the $40 million we have under the salary cap. Actually, call me after all three occur because we need every one of them to happen.)

Ok, that's the end of my mini-rant on the Bucs. Let's get to the playoff picks. I finished strong last week (12-4 week), giving me a 160-95-1 record for the season. So for the second year in a row, I'm the equivalent of a 10-6 team. If I were picking in the NFC that'd be good enough to win a division, but if I were in the AFC, I'd be hanging out at home with the Patriots.

The wild card weekend has four interesting matchups. Translation: I have no idea who's going to win, but I'll do my best.

ATLANTA @ ARIZONA
Yes, I realize a lot of people are jumping on the Atlanta bandwagon in this one, and it's always a dangerous thing for a team (especially a young one like the Falcons) to start believing their own hype. However, there's a reason people are jumping on the Falcons. They're good, and they've risen to every challenge and done everything people have told them they can't do. (Semi)bold prediction: Michael Turner goes for over 200 yards on the ground.

In a related story, I still think the Cardinals are in the discussion for worst.playoff team.ever. I mean, am I supposed to be impressed by the fact that they beat up on sorry Seattle at home in week 17? They still can't run the ball, and they can't really defend, which are two things we keep hearing playoff teams need to do. Most importantly, these are the Cardinals we're talking about. They'll find a way to screw this up.

INDIANAPOLIS @ SAN DIEGO
Yes, it's a mini-travesty that 8-8 San Diego gets into the playoffs AND get to host a 12-4 team just because the Chargers are in a terrible division. More importantly, that shouldn't really bother the Colts, who are probably the best road team in the league.

One of my favorite stats: Indy has won more games IN A ROW (9) than San Diego won all season. So why am I picking the Chargers? I don't really know why, but they just seem to have the Colts' number in the playoffs lately. (Semi)bold prediction: Peyton Manning throws 3 INTs.

BALTIMORE
@ MIAMI
Miami only beat one team last year and that was Baltimore. It's pretty cool that these two teams are playing in the playoffs.

However, I think the dream season for the Dolphins end here. Miami's home field advantage is minimal and Baltimore is just better. They beat up the Dolphins in Miami in week 7 and I see no reason why the outcome will be different this time. Sure, Miami's better now than they were then, but guess what? So is Baltimore. Rookie QB Joe Flacco is more confident and the defense has been at its rabid dog best. (Semi)bold prediction: Ravens RBs LeRon McClain AND Willis McGahee go over 100 yards on the ground.

PHILADELPHIA @ MINNESOTA
I'm not as in love with the Eagles as the rest of the country is after they laid the smack down on the Cowboys last week. Ok, I'll admit that, for embarrassing the Cowboys so thoroughly on national TV, I'd probably make out with the Eagles for a little bit — but I'm not in love with them.

Still, I HAVE to go with the Eagles because the other option is trusting Tarvaris Jackson (pictured, right) AND Brad Childress in a playoff atmosphere. You know, the dynamic duo that could barely beat the Giants subs last week? (Semi)bold prediction: Tarvaris Jackson turns the ball over four times. Oh wait, that's not a bold prediction at all and actually quite likely to happen. Ok, how about Brian Westbrook going over 175 yards from scrimmage.

No comments: