Thursday, January 10, 2008

John's Top 10 TV Shows of 2007

It's no secret that I love TV AND top 10 lists.

So why didn't I put together a lists of the top 10 TV shows of 2007 earlier (like, say, 2007)? Well, it's partly because I'm lazy. But it's also partly because I was in the middle of being sucked into "The Wire" (I got the DVDs on the cheap during Black Friday in November) and I wanted to finish the fantastic fourth season so I could officially include on my list.

There's only one problem. The fourth season aired between September and December '06 and the newest season premiered Jan. 6, 2008, meaning the show never aired a new episode in '07. Whoops.

What follows is a list of my favorite shows of 2007, along with some honorable mentions (and some dishonorable mentions). Also, don't worry (I could tell you were worried) — a list of my top 10 movies of 2007 will follow at some point — I'm waiting to see some of the year-end flicks that haven't been released in Florida yet, as well as a few films I have on DVD (3:10 to Yuma, Zodiac) that could make the cut once I get around to watching them.

Anyway, here are my favorite TV shows of 2007. If a show that you like isn't on here, then, no offense, but I probably just don't have time to watch it. Or it's garbage.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

The Wire (HBO): Nevermind the technicality that kept it off my list and the fact that it smartly and entertainingly explores corruption in politics within the Baltimore police department, drug game and, in the fourth season, the school system with equal effectiveness. What other show do you know can delegate its apparent protagonist (Det. Jimmy McNulty) to the background for virtually the entire season, while bringing mostly unknown, but fantastic child actors to the forefront. I'm glad I took the time to catch up with this show before it was over.

Weeds (Showtime): One of the funniest comedies on TV. Picked up nicely from a hell of a cliffhanger to nicely balance the dark humor and dramatic moments. Finished strong too, with Nancy's pot business, apparently, going up in smoke.

House M.D. (Fox): The reality-show concept for the new season has been entertaining, if slightly drawn out, but it makes the list on the sheer force of Hugh Laurie's genius.

Nip/Tuck (FX):
It's still more up-and-down than I'd like, but the move to California definitely rejuvenated the show.

Project Runway (Bravo): Even with a just-ok group of contestants, it's the best of the reality shows out there.

Reaper (CW): My favorite new show of the season. Started off strong, lost some steam in the middle, but started getting interesting again. Good writing and infinitely likeable cast.

(DIS)HONORABLE MENTIONS


Heroes (NBC) 24 (Fox): I'm not going to pretend like I'm going to stop watching these shows. But 24 had its worst.season.ever, while "Heroes", after getting off to a strong start in its first season, fielded a weak finale before mostly collapsing during its second year.

American Idol (Fox): Worst batch of contestants ever.

On the Lot (Fox): Most disappointing execution of a cool idea. Ever.

October Road (ABC): I tried watching this the other night and just couldn't. It's completely unwatchable. Discounting all the dopey reality shows on MTV, VH-1, etc, this is the worst show on TV.

THE TOP 10

10. Desperate Housewives (ABC): Still not perfect by any means (why is Mike Delfino still a character on this show?), but earned a spot on this list thanks to its strong comeback in the fall. Credit the four leads, as well as one of TV's deepest and strongest supporting casts, which got better with the addition of Dana Delaney.

9. Tell Me You Love Me (HBO): Ok, you got me. I tuned in because I read that it had HBO's relationship drama had some of the most graphic sex scenes in a TV show outside of Cinemax. And it delivered in that regard. That notwithstanding, this is not an easy show to watch. It can be slow at times, depressing at others and there's no happy ending. I didn't even have my girlfriend to watch it with. Still, the acting (almost perfect) and realistic writing kept me hypnotized. It'll be even more fun when I can watch it with Erica.

8. Damages (FX): I tuned in to see Glenn Close carry a TV show and she didn't disappoint. She was a force of nature. The story? It seemed a bit too contrived and twisty for its own good. Eventually though, the story caught up with Close and I found myself tuning in for both. The writing still wasn't perfect, but stylish direction and excellent acting made up for that. Besides Close, Rose Byrne got better as the season went along and became a decent anchor, while Ted Danson and Zeljko Ivanek were both Emmy-worthy.

7. Ugly Betty (ABC): Ok, I admit it. More often than not, I tune out of this show halfway through to watch 4 on this list. Still, this show makes the grade for its all-around funny cast, FANTASTIC use of guest stars (the best on TV), and the fact that it was one of the few shows that premiered last year that didn't go into the tank in its second season (I'm looking at you "Heroes")

6. The Shield (FX): Just because it aired a LONG time ago doesn't mean I forgot all about it. It's on this list, not just because it's one of the best-written and acted cop shows on TV, but because it defied my expectations of how it would deal with a key character's death — for such an explosive show, it did so in a subtle, thoughtful way. I can't wait for the final season this year.

5. Friday Night Lights (NBC): I love the characters on this show like they were real people (especially Coach Taylor and his wife, Tami, as well as Smash and Tim Riggins). It's probably because the writers do a good job of having each person act in a realistic and relatable way. For a show about a football team, its weakest point is actually the football scenes (does Dillon ALWAYS have to win on the last play?). Other than that, the show deals with small-town life in a subtle way, which has made subplots in year two involving a murder in self-defense and a tornado a bit jarring. Still one of the best shows on TV.

4. 30 Rock (NBC): Probably the most laugh-out-loud funny show on TV and, like Ugly Betty, it's possible that it's gotten stronger in its second year. Like "Betty", this show also makes brilliant use of guest stars (except for Jerry Seinfeld, who was disappointingly mediocre) to surround the underrated Jane Krakowski, the brilliant Alec Baldwin, the insane (and insanely funny) Tracy Morgan and Tina Fey, who's probably become the best sitcom anchor since, yep, Jerry Seinfeld. This show gets the nod because it's winningly mixes smart and crazy for its comedy and because it's leading the way in spawning catchphrases and in-jokes ("Werewolf Bar Mitzvah", "Enormé" perfume).

3. The Sopranos (HBO): More than enough has been written about this show (one of the best ever — really) and particularly its polarizing finale. I'll just add that I love how pretty much every significant character got a chance to shine during the final season and creator David Chase ended the show on his terms. I mean, that's how he wrote the rest of the show, so I don't understand how people could be so shocked that he ended it the same way.

2. The Office (NBC): I've said this is the best show on TV before, and I'll probably say it again. The writing is second to none, the acting is just as good and, while "30 Rock" may be flat-out funnier at times, the dramatic acting on this show is just as good as what you'll find on the best dramas, making it a much more heartfelt show. Extra points go to Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson for making ridiculous characters that could grow annoying quickly fresh and to the writers for finding an interesting way to get a will-they/won't-they couple together (Jim and Pam) without killing the show.

1. Lost (ABC): Along with "The Office", this is the only show that I actively anticipate throughout the week. It gets the nod over "The Office" because, once it came back from its winter hiatus in February (after a batch of fall episodes that were merely ok), the show hit the ground running and never looked back. During that second half surge, it was simply the best thing on TV last year, leading up to a season finale that was one of the best five episodes of any TV show that I've ever seen in my whole life. I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the shows on this list, but, because of everything I just said, "Lost" HAS to be 1.

So what was your favorite show? Feel free to disagree with or yell at me for leaving out your favorite.

No comments: