Saturday, January 19, 2008

NFL Conference Championship Picks

All righty, let's try to keep it short, since it's the weekend (Saturday morning) and I want to go have some breakfast. I bounced back nicely last week (3-1 week, 4-4 postseason), and I would've been perfect if it hadn't been for those meddling Chargers (and their dog). Here's what I think will happen to them in conference championship weekend...

SAN DIEGO @ NEW ENGLAND
...they'll lose. I think they will lose. That's pretty much all I have to say about it. I mean, I would've thought that they were going to lose even if their three best offensive players weren't injured (but expected to play). Just look at the way they got steamrolled in week 2 by the Patriots.

Now I kind of want them to lose badly, mostly to shut up their QB Philip Rivers (pictured, right), who wins the award for most mediocre quarterback who talks the most trash. I'm sure he's reading this now and flipping me off and yelling at me — but the Chargers are still going to lose. The fact that the Chargers have some of the biggest clowns on their team makes LaDainian Tomlinson's comments last year after their playoff loss to the Pats (where he called them "classless") all the more ridiculous.

Although, I'll make a bold prediction and say that the Chargers defense will harass Tom Brady and force him into three or more incompletions, I also expect to hear more whining after the Chargers lose.

NY GIANTS @ GREEN BAY
The battle of two teams some idiotic
people picked to finish last in their division should actually be the more competitive and entertaining game of the week.

The Giants are playing excellent football, and just imagine what the Packers might've done to Seattle last week if they HADN'T handed them two touchdowns in the first minute. Like the Pats with the Chargers, the Packers killed the Giants in week 2, but that was before New York decided it'd be a good idea to play good defense. It's also going to be cold in Green Bay (single digits), which'll make my St. Pete Florida digs especially comfy.

Still, I just don't see the Giants (or any other team really) keeping Brett Favre from reaching the Super Bowl (and making sports announcers across the country wet themselves with excitement) in this storybook season of his.

No comments: