Thursday, July 17, 2008

What John Thinks: The 2008 Emmy Nominations (Drama)

The nominations for this year's Emmys (which will be broadcast Sept. 21) were released today and, as usual, there was some stuff to like and more than enough stuff to dislike.
For example, a record number of basic cable shows like Mad Men (pictured, left), Damages and Breaking Bad, received nominations in major categories. Unfortunately, we also got a discouraging amount of retreads (mostly in the comedy categories) and nominations mostly based on star power over merit.

The Emmys selection and voting process is notoriously goofy and unpredictable (which make them interesting and infuriating at the same time), so I'll give you my sure-to-be-WAY-off picks at a later date.


I'll get to the comedic categories later, but right now I'll give you my thoughts (as if you asked for them) on the major dramatic series races. (As always, if I want to talk about someone that should've gotten recognition, I have to take one of the nominees out.)


Best Drama: Boston Legal; Damages; Dexter; House; Lost; Mad Men.


What John Thinks: I loved "Lost" and "Damages", and I think "House" finished the season VERY strongly, so I don't have any problem with those two shows being included. I've only ever seen on episode of "Dexter" and I've never seen "Mad Men", but I'm recording the first season, which is airing in its entirety on AMC this Sunday. Finally, I've said it before, but I'll say it again — I'm a fan of "Boston Legal," but it's a comedy, not a drama. As a result, I'd take out "Mad" and "Legal" and sub in "Friday Night Lights" (still strong in second season) and "The Wire" (I personally loved the final season, and don't get the grumblings about it).
Mostly though, I'm just happy "Grey's Anatomy" didn't get a token nomination.


Best Actor in a Drama: Gabriel Byrne, In Treatment; Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad; Michael C. Hall, Dexter; Jon Hamm, Mad Men; Hugh Laurie, House; James Spader, Boston Legal.


What John Thinks: This is a toughie for me because I haven't really seen Byrne's, Cranston's, or Hamm's work. I know I'd definitely take out Spader in this category (and put him in "Comedy," where he belongs) and put in Kyle Chandler of "Friday Night Lights." I'd also probably take Byrne out and slide Michael Emerson from "Lost" into the lead category to make space in the crowded "Supporting Actor" field.


Best Actress in a Drama: Glenn Close, Damages; Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters; Mariska Hargitay, Law and Order: SVU; Holly Hunter, Saving Grace; Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer.


What John Thinks: It may not be fair because I don't watch any of their shows (except for Close's "Damages", but it feels like Emmy is honoring Hunter, Field and maybe even Sedgwick for coming to TV from movies and classing the place up. Assuming Field and Sedgwick legitimately earned their nods (which is the impression I get), I'd take out Hunter and sub in "Friday Night Lights" much less famous Connie Britton — her and Chandler are the best married couple on TV. I'd also take out Hargitay (sorry, but SVU is just silly now) and put in "Tell Me You Love Me's" Ally Walker or Sonja Walger. You could really flip a coin between those two because they're equally deserving.


Best Supporting Actor in a Drama: Ted Danson, Damages; Michael Emerson, Lost; Zeljko Ivanek, Damages; William Shatner, Boston Legal; John Slattery, Mad Men.


What John Thinks: I'm not touching Danson or Ivanek because they were two of the nominees I was most delighted to see up for the award. Since I moved Emerson to the lead actor category and Shatner would be in the comedic race in my world, I'd sub in Henry Ian Cusick from "Lost" and Clark Johnson from "The Wire" (for absolutely making the final season's newspaper storyline). Since I haven't seen "Mad Men", I'd also take out Slattery (sorry) and put in the excellent Tim DeKay of "Tell Me You Love Me" or Robert Sean Leonard from "House."


Best Supporting Actress in a Drama: Candice Bergen, Boston Legal; Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters; Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy; Dianne Wiest, In Treatment; Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy.


What John Thinks: Not only would I not nominate Bergen in this category because "Legal" is a comedy, but I just don't think she's that great on that show — her role is kind of beneath her. I'd sub in Yunjin Kim of "Lost" in her place. Also, since Sandra Oh wasn't really given anything to do on "Grey's" this year, I'd put Jane Alexander's psychiatrist from "Tell Me You Love Me" in there. Also, I'd probably take out either Griffiths or Wiest and sub in Chloe Sevigny in "Big Love." I've only seen one episode, but she was something fierce.

No comments: