Thursday, July 17, 2008

What John Thinks: The 2008 Emmy Nominations (Comedy)

As promised here are my thoughts on the comedic nominees. Unfortunately, this appears to be the place where Emmy got really lazy:

Best Comedy: Curb Your Enthusiasm; Entourage; The Office; 30 Rock; Two and a Half Men.

What John Thinks: I swear I don't hate "Two and a Half Men" (as a lot of people seem to). It makes me chuckle pretty often. However, by no stretch of the imagination is it one of the five best comedies. Since "Boston Legal" is a drama, I'd sub it in for "Men". "30 Rock" (pictured, right), which led all regular series with 17 nominations, and "The Office" are two of my favorites, so I'm always glad to see them. I didn't watch this past season of "Curb", but I know it's consistently funny. Still, I would've liked to have seen something fresh in there, like "How I Met Your Mother", "Flight of the Conchords", "Pushing Daisies" or "Chuck" (if it's even considered a comedy). I'd probably give "How I Met Your Mother" that nod.

I mean, it's like the Emmy committee isn't even watching the shows anymore and just nominating them out of habit. What better example than "Entourage"? I'm a fan and I watch all the episodes, but this season was uneven at best. If Emmy wanted to honor an uneven show, I think "Ugly Betty" would've been slightly more deserving. Then again, I would've cut both of them out and slipped in "Desperate Housewives" which almost got back to its first-season high.

Best Actor in a Comedy: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock; Steve Carell, The Office; Lee Pace, Pushing Daisies; Tony Shalhoub, Monk; Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men.

What John Thinks: Carell and Baldwin are two of the best. I've never seen "Pushing Daisies", but from all accounts Pace is a charming lead on a charming little show, so I can't complain too much. I'd take out Sheen in favor of James Spader and "Boston Legal" and I'd take out Tony Shalhoub (who I'm convinced Emmy would nominate even if it turned out he'd been dead the past three years) for, wait for it, Stephen Colbert of "The Colbert Report!" (Stay with me on this one, I'll explain more a bit later.)

Best Actress in a Comedy: Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?; America Ferrera, Ugly Betty; Tina Fey, 30 Rock; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine; Mary Louise Parker, Weeds.

What John Thinks: I'm delighted to see Fey and Parker again because I'm a fan of both shows. I'm happy to see Dreyfuss because I think she's great, and delightfully surprised to see Applegate for the charming "Samantha Who." However, as cool as it is that a Latina is headlining a hit show, I'd take out Ferrara for "Ugly Betty" because, well, she's just not that funny (and not as great a straight man as someone like Fey). Instead, I'd sub in a "Desperate" housewife — how about Dana Delaney for helping rescue the show this year?

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men; Kevin Dillon, Entourage; Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother; Jeremy Piven, Entourage; Rainn Wilson, The Office.

What John Thinks: Ok, these "Supporting" categories in comedy are so tricky because there are SO many deserving scene stealers. I'm leaving Wilson, Piven (the best thing about Entourage, by far) and Harris in. I like Dillon and Cryer, but there are many more deserving names out there. I'd usually throw in a plug for John Krasinski of "The Office", but I actually feel like Jim didn't have as strong of a year (it was mostly about Pam's growth).

I'd actually put Ed Helms of "The Office" ahead of Krasinski this year, and "Ugly Betty" also has a strong candidate in Marc Urie, but I'd fill those last two slots with Justin Kirk of "Weeds" (who makes gold out of the most ridiculous plots) and Tracy Morgan. Sure, you can argue how much Tracy Morgan actually "acts," and you may not like his style. All I know is that he makes me laugh almost anytime he says anything on "30 Rock" ("Tell her you want your genitals and her genitals to do a high-five").

Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies; Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live; Jean Smart, Samantha Who?; Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men; Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty.

What John Thinks: Taylor is arguably the best thing about "Two and a Half Men", but there's no way I'd nominate her over Jenna Fischer of "The Office", so I'd substitute those two. Williams and Chenoweth can stay, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Smart up for this award because she delivers on "Samantha Who."

Let's talk about Amy Poehler. I think it's pretty awesome that someone from SNL could get a nod in a major category like this, instead of being banished to the "Variety, Musical or Comedy Special" award. To be honest, I didn't even know Poehler was eligible. I mean, you're telling me that all this time people like Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman weren't nominated for "Best Supporting Actor" for doing superior work on SNL. Seeing that Poehler IS eligible, that's why I wrote Colbert should pick up a nomination for Best Actor because I can think of fewer performers who do a better job of embodying a character.

The problem I have with Poehler's nomination is that she's not even the female I'd nominate from her own show. If they wanted to recognize an SNL performer, the Emmys would've been wise to nominate the brilliant Kristen Wiig, instead of Poehler, who already has more than enough exposure. On the other hand, if I were looking to fill Poehler's slot with a non-SNL performer, I'd probably look to Jennifer Esposito of "Samantha Who" or Ana Ortiz of "Ugly Betty." Actually, those two are great, but my nod would go to Jane Krakowski, who steals almost every scene she's in on "30 Rock."

No comments: