Tuesday, September 11, 2007

NFL Week 2 Picks

After a decent debut the first week of the season (11-5), I'm gonna try to keep the good times rolling. We've now seen every time in the league play a game, and, from here on out, I'll do my very best not to outthink myself and pick the teams I like. Here we go!

BUFFALO @ PITTSBURGH
Pittsburgh looked even better than I thought they would and this is their home opener, so I expect them to be pumped up. Meanwhile, J.P. Losman of the Bills was closer to being the J.P. Losman who I considered the worst QB in the league than the guy who led a feisty team last year. I say Pittsburgh in a laugher. I know a "laugher" is a blowout, but does anyone actually laugh. I guess the winning team does.

HOUSTON
@ CAROLINA (mini-upset)
Don't ask me why, but I'm feeling some Houston this week. I love the way they looked against Kansas City (although KC is horrible). Should be one of the better games this week, given how Jake Delhomme is back to playing well now that he's scared of losing his job to David Carr.

ATLANTA @ JACKSONVILLE
I thought Atlanta would be better than most people thought without Vick, but they looked pathetic against Minnesota. Jacksonville's defense will show up this weak and shut down the Falcons the way the Vikings did.

NEW ORLEANS @ TAMPA BAY
Hmm, I wonder who New Orleans will take their embarrassing opening-week loss out on? For extra fun, the Bucs' starting QB and RB both suffered injuries last year. Bucs fever! Catch it!

GREEN BAY @ NY GIANTS
I stupidly said Green Bay would get their asses kicked and instead their D and special teams carry them to a win over the infinitely more talented Eagles. Well the Giants are a LOT worse than the Eagles, and they don't have starting QB Eli Manning. I think the young and impressive Pack defense will be able to handle Hefty Lefty Jared Lorenzen (pictured, top right, because how often do I have good reason to post a pic of that guy). Also, Brett Favre should be able to score some points this week for a change.

SAN FRANCISCO @ ST. LOUIS
I wasn't impressed by either team opening week, but St. Louis was especially lifeless. I guess I'll go with the Niners.

CINCINNATI @ CLEVELAND
The Bengals managed to beat the Ravens (although six Baltimore turnovers helped) with no running game and a merely ok Carson Palmer. I expect them to decimate the Browns.

INDIANAPOLIS @ TENNESSEE
Are YOU gonna pick against Indy just yet after that beatdown they put on the Saints? Me neither.

MINNESOTA @ DETROIT
I like the Lions offense in the turf in what should be an interesting matchup against Minny's good defense.

DALLAS @ MIAMI (upset!)
Tony Romo's not THAT good (345 yards, 4 TDs), but the Dallas defense IS that bad (35 points to the woeful Giants?!). Miami actually has a defense and I expect them to take down an NFC "power" (like they did with the Bears last year)

SEATTLE @ ARIZONA
Arizona was among the least impressive teams the first week while I have no idea how good Seattle is since they beat the terrible Bucs. I suspect they're pretty good though.

NY JETS @ BALTIMORE (mini-upset)
Steve McNair was terrible and then he got hurt. The Jets got stomped on. I go out of my way to show the Ravens some respect last week and they embarrass me. I'm done with them! Finally, as I warned in my preseason picks, there's a chance Ravens fans might be getting too many looks at this, so I'll take the Jets.

OAKLAND @ DENVER
Oakland showed some life last week, but they haven't won a division game in a few years. And they won't win one this weekend.

KANSAS CITY @ CHICAGO
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Kansas City is the worst team in the league. Look for the Bears to rebound.

SAN DIEGO @ NEW ENGLAND
Although the Patriots clinched the AFC East with their demoralizing rout of the Jets in the Meadowlands (not sure that's official, but still) I expect them to still play hard against the Chargers, who will be looking to avenge the game they gave away in the playoffs last year. Instead of having to deal with Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, the Chargers have to deal with Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth and Wes Welker. Good luck.

WASHINGTON @ PHILADELPHIA
I have a feeling Philly will be angry over losing the Packer game and that they'll blitz young Redskins QB Jason Campbell into oblivion.

No comments: