Wednesday, September 19, 2007

NFL Week 3 Picks

So I had another good-not-great week picking (10-6 week, 21-11 overall), which is fine with me given some of the unpredictable results this past weekend. Watch me now, if you will, as I try to keep it up as I'm feeling especially cocky following my first ever win in fantasy football (thank you, Carson Palmer! [pictured, right] and your 6 TDs and 401 yds!). Also, be on the lookout for this blog to become a LOT less manly tomorrow when "America's Next Top Recap" makes it season debut.

DETROIT @ PHILADELPHIA
Wow, starting off with a REALLY tough matchup right away. The Eagles are struggling, Donovan McNabb just looks like he's not right and a key member of their secondary (Brian Dawkins) got hurt just as Detroit and their four excellent wide receivers come to town. On the other hand, the Eagles are at home and these ARE the Lions. Still, although Philly's desperate now, they should've been desperate this past Monday night at home against a lesser team and, instead, looked oddly lifeless. I'm betting these aren't your father's Lions and they go in there and get a win.

MIAMI @ N.Y. JETS
Miami's looked pretty terrible the first two weeks and the Jets will just be happy to be playing a relatively easy game. Pennington or Clemens? Doesn't matter, they win easy.

BUFFALO @ NEW ENGLAND
It's obviously New England and, since I can't think of anything else to say I'll ask why is O.J. Simpson still in the Hall of Fame? Also, now that the New England players think they're all cheaters (when it's the coaches who are cheaters) and they're pissed off, my 14-2 prediction for their record might turn out to be a little conservative.

ARIZONA @ BALTIMORE
Frequent punching bag Kyle Boller looked decent last week. Just in time for Steve McNair to come back and probably take his job back this week. Either way, though Arizona showed some fire, I like the Ravens at home.

ST. LOUIS @ TAMPA BAY
In what had to be the most shocking result of the week (yes, even more shocking than Cleveland putting up 51 against the Bengals, since Cincy's defense sucks), the Bucs pimp-slapped New Orleans last week. Stephen Jackson is the kind of big back who gives the Bucs a lot of trouble, but his offensive line is busted and QB Marc Bulger is dinged up. Do I dare get my hopes up that the Bucs can do something this year following their best game since their Super Bowl victory (four years ago!)? Yes, I dare.

SAN FRANCISCO @ PITTSBURGH
I've been watching San Fran because I have Frank Gore on my fantasy team and I learned something. Alex Smith kinda sucks. A lot. On a related story, Pittsburgh should kick their ass this weekend.

INDIANAPOLIS @ HOUSTON
Do I dare stick with Houston after picking them in mini-upsets three weeks in a row? No, I don't.

SAN DIEGO @ GREEN BAY
The Chargers have to beat SOMEBODY up after being embarrassed on national TV last week, right?

MINNESOTA @ KANSAS CITY
Two of my least favorite teams in the league. I think KC is the worst team in the league, but I like them to win at Arrowhead, especially when they're going up against Tarvaris Jackson or Brooks Boellinger (if Jackson can't play)

CLEVELAND @ OAKLAND
A couple of scrappy bad teams. I'll go with Oakland because their secondary HAS to be better than Cincinnati's, they're at home and Cleveland has to lose if my prediction about Romeo Crennel getting fired first is to come true.

JACKSONVILLE @ DENVER
Denver's at home and maybe now that they're playing a decent team, they won't play down to the competition and actually win the game by not relying on a last-second field goal.

CINCINNATI
@ SEATTLE
Should be plenty of offense in this one, but when an AFC team plays an NFC team of equal stature, I'll always go with the good AFC team. (see, Min/KC game)

N.Y. GIANTS @ WASHINGTON
I mean, is there ANY hope for the Giants. Also, Jason Campbell of the Skins is looking better and better.

CAROLINA @ ATLANTA
Atlanta has officially joined the Giants in the category of "hopeless teams."

DALLAS @ CHICAGO
If Tony Romo wins this game, THEN I'll finally believe in him. Instead, I'll go with Chicago at home.

TENNESSEE @ NEW ORLEANS
Sure, the Saints have been awful, but I like them to bounce back in their home opener inside a Superdome that, with the emotion of the crowd alone, should help carry them to victory.

No comments: