Thursday, February 28, 2008

American Idol: 70's Weak Continues

Last night, the ladies did their best impression of the guys when an unusually large number of them turned in mostly underwhelming versions of classic songs.

But I still liked them a lot better than the "men". (I use the quotation marks because I don't 100% believe that Danny Noriega is actually a man.)

Last night's episode got off to a promising start with Carly Smithson finally delivering a performance worthy of all the hype (Simon's words from last week) she's received up to this point. Everything about her last night was right on. She sounded great, the performance was entertaining, and her interview package — tending bar back home — was endearing. Also, I like her pleasant Irish accent — she should use that more.

I also really liked the following performance, though apparently I'm the only one since the judges panned Syesha Mercado's gender-bending take on "Me and Mrs. Jones." The part-time commercial actress (I don't mean mainstream, I mean she actually acts in commercials) turned in a lovely vocal and an engaging performance. Sure she could've really cut loose and belted in some parts, but she's been yelling ever since she got on the show. I liked seeing her show restraint. I also don't care nearly as much as Simon that she changed the words around to the song. It's ok with me for a woman to sing a song "intended" for a man, and vice versa. I mean, I'd rather she do that than sing it the way it's intended and have millions of people snickering at home and saying "haha, she's gay."

The other standout performance of the evening was from the ever endearing Brooke White (pictured, left). She brought her guitar out for a solid, straightforward and completely appealing "You're So Vain" (I liked her slightly raspy delivery). It all felt very comfy, like your camp counselor singing you a song around a fire (of course, that's what I imagine, since I was never in summer camp.) Unfortunately, that's about as well as she can do. Vocally, her ceiling isn't nearly as high as someone like Carly (or even Syesha). Still, she'll cruise to next week on the strength of her performance and interview package, where we found out she's a "beauty school dropout."

Speaking of "Grease" (that's a professional segue way right there), Alaina Whitaker tackled "Hopelessly Devoted to You". Too bad, she looked so old-fashioned (as Simon said) sounded like someone impersonating Olivia Newton-John. Unfortunately, the debate over her dress led to the first gay-baiting comment from Simon to Ryan this season (I really hoped we were over that). I was more interested in the fact that she revealed that she doesn't like the food on her plate to touch than I was in anything else.

Which is more than I can say for Ramiele Malubay. She told us we might be surprised to know she can hula dance (I wasn't surprised) before turning in a solid, but undistinguished and forgettable performance of "Don't Leave Me This Way", a song that's been done a million times. I WANT to like her because she's good, it's just not happening so far. Alaina and, especially, Ramiele should be back next week to try to win me over.

Two contestants I do like didn't fare any better. Though I wasn't sure about the cargo shorts, I thought Alexandrea Lushington sounded good on "If You Leave Me Now", and I liked the contrast to last week's "Spinning Wheel." Unfortunately, the judges accused her of playing it safe and I think she's in trouble this week. Meanwhile, Asia'h Epperson (who reminds me of Rashida Jones only when she sings) did the exact opposite by choosing a song with a high level of difficulty. Unfortunately, the beginning and the verses were mildly disastrous, though she finished decently. Though the judges seemed to give her a pass for trying a hard song, we kinda found out that Asia'h's just not a great singer — at least not yet.

As I mentioned, I really have a feeling that Alexandrea is going to (unfairly) be sent home, and I believe she'll be joined by one of this week's train wreck performers.

I don't think it's going to be Amanda Overmyer, even though her "Carry on my Wayward Son" was the worst performance of the week. She started off badly, the verses were miserable, and she just didn't have the energy she's had in week's past. Also, styling her hair like Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd" didn't really help matters. Still, since she's so grounded and likable, I think she's bought herself at least another week.

I don't think its' going to be Kristy Lee Cook, even though her "You're No Good" was, well, no good, it was a vast improvement from last week. So basically because was so awful last week and did considerably better (and she's a pretty blonde girl) she'll get to stick around. Also, what's with the weird robot face when she's singing? (I'll stop making fun of Carrie Underwood's blank face, and made fun of Kristy Lee as long as she's in the competition.) Finally, I'm still not convinced she can sing anything other than "Amazing Grace" well.

That means that I'm predicting Kady Malloy to wave bye bye to the competition. The part-time Britney impersonator/opera singer just cannot deliver on the Idol stage when she has to perform as herself. If only they could air her entertaining interview segments and have America vote on that. She claimed to love "Magic Man", so why was the performance so dreary? You don't do that to a song you allegedly love.

So what'd you think of this episode? Did the girls outsing the guys? Who was your favorite? Finally, I've got Jason Y, Luke, Alexandrea and Kady going home — who ya got?

No comments: