Thursday, February 21, 2008

American Idol: Gender Inequality

After the guys came out and mostly sucked the big one Tuesday night (as you can see journalism school wasn't wasted on me), my claim that the guys would be more talented than the girls this year was on very shaky ground.

With the ladies' first performance on Wednesday, that opinion is pretty much dead.

As was the case last year in the semifinals, there are just more talented girls than guys and, unfortunately, one or two of them is not going to make the cut (thanks to that silly rule that there has to be six guys and six dolls).

Unlike last year's semis (with Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, etc.) , none of the girls were really spectacular — instead, they were just all-around more solid than a lot of the listless and downright forgettable guys.

Ok, I'm gonna try to run through these singers as quickly as can because I might have a stomach flu. Seriously, I feel and look as bad as a guy in the first three minutes of an episode of "House."

My favorite of the night was definitely Alexandrea Lushington (pictured, right)— not just because "Alexandrea" is the rare combining of two names into one that actually works, but because her performance of "Spinning Wheel" (and her wardrobe) had the most personality by far. Also, I don't know what Simon was listening to, but, while she wasn't perfect, I thought she also had one of the evening's best vocals. Not too bad for someone I barely remember hearing or seeing in the past few weeks.

Although Syesha Mercado was fierce with a capital "F" during "Tobacco Road", I don't know if she can count as my second favorite performance of the night. For example, Amanda Overmyer rocked just as hard (if not harder), but I didn't feel like I was being yelled out most of the time (also, the scatting and the way she apologized to the dude that hit her with his semi was very endearing).

So I guess I'd have to give my silver medal to Carly Smithson based on her solid vocals (her performance was less than electrifying). I'm not going to go as far as Randy and say her "Shadow of Your Smile" was the best performance this week, but I can't help but feel her tepid review from Simon was due to her previous recording experience (with Simon alluding to all the "buzz" around her). It's clear they're holding this girl to a higher standard (which isn't totally unfair), so I think if someone else had given the performance she gave last night, she'd have gotten positive reviews.

All of the four I've mentioned so far should cruise to next week, and they should be joined by Alaina Whitaker, Brooke White, Ramiele Malubay, and Asia'h Epperson.

Whitaker (another person I just don't remember) will be back because her "More than Yesterday" was absolutely charming and she slyly mentioned her birthday is this week, so she should get sympathy votes. White (whose innocent likability is being played up) will stay around even though her "Happy Together" was thoroughly unimpressive — we like her too damn much. Meanwhile, Malubay's vocals were impressive during "You don't have to say you love me", but she seemed to completely failed to connect with the audience (or the song). Finally, Epperson continued to impress, making "Piece of My Heart" sound gospely. The reason I don't have her higher is because I honestly don't remember THAT much of her performance.

That leaves Kady Malloy, Joanne Borgella, Kristy Lee Cook and Amy Davis.

I've got Davis (who seemed miserable singing) "Where the Boys Are" going home — just a dreary and depressing performance. At least her hair look good. I've also got plus size model Joanne Borgella going home. She barely squeaked into the top 24 and her "Say a Little Prayer" is just something I'd rather not hear again. Hopefully, her modeling career will get a jumpstart from her appearance on this show.

That's not to say those were the worst two. Personally, I thought Kady Malloy's"Groovy Kind of Love" was just as bad as Davis' performance, but her spot-on Britney Spears impersonation has bought her another week. If only she could impersonate a good singer or be as interesting when she's using her own voice. Similarly, I'm just not convinced Cook can sing something other than "Amazing Grace". She looked terrified during the start of her "Rescue Me" and never really recovered (no one came to save her). When you start trying to pre-empt criticism by having it revealed that you're suffering from flu before you sing, good times are not ahead.

So what'd you think of this episode? Any way we can check if it's REALLY Alaina's birthday? Who was your favorite lady last night? Finally, who do YOU have going home?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First i want to thank you for all the wonderful articles you post. Thanks again for let us spread the love we have for our’s favorites one. Melinda Doolittle are really a talented singer with a big heart of Gold! Without website will be really difficult for the fans to share the great news about them. Thanks.
FREE SONG FROM AMERICAN IDOL’S MELINDA DOOLITTLE! GO TO http://www.melindadoolittle.com and get it NOW - FREE! New album released on February 3, 2009! Don’t miss it!

Anonymous said...

Melinda Doolittle in her first-ever Nightclub engagement

November 17-21, New York City

FEINSTEIN'S AT LOEWS REGENCY, the nightclub proclaimed "Best of New York" by New York Magazine, will debut MELINDA DOOLITTLE in her first-ever nightclub engagement from November 17 – 21. The “American Idol” finalist will perform an intimate evening of jazz standards, pop hits and Broadway classics, in addition to selections from her CD, Coming Back To You. All shows are at the Regency Hotel (540 Park Avenue at 61st Street). For ticket reservations and club information, please call (212) 339-4095 or visit feinsteinsatloewsregency.com and TicketWeb.com