Monday, June 2, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Review

I didn't get on the "Narnia" train until very recently.

In fact, I hadn't even seen the first movie until Friday night because I was planning on seeing the second flick the next day. (Apparently that's how I spend my Friday nights when my girlfriend's out of town — watching "The Chronicles of Narnia" alone at home on my DVR.)

I'm not at all familiar with the books, but then again I don't really care. My belief is that a movie (even if it's from a book I've read) should be able to stand and deliver on its own, regardless of what was taken out or put in from the book.

The first "Narnia" movie was a decent fantasy ride. I can definitely see why it inspired a gangsta rap. The second film, in my opinion, is ever so slightly better.

In "Prince Caspian" we get reacquainted with the Pevensie siblings (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) one year after the events in the first flick. Of course, after THEY get on the Narnia train, they find out that 1,300 years have passed in Narnia, and the land they knew has been taken over by the brutal Telmarines, who have all but extinguished the kingdom's magical creatures.

The Pevensie siblings have been summoned back by Prince Caspian, the rightful heir to Narnia's throne, after Caspian's eeeevil uncle Miraz tries to kill him and take control of the kingdom.

This film takes what's now become a customary turn to a more darker tone in kid-friendly franchise flicks — and mostly pulls it off. This movie is certainly busier than "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (which only really had one major battle in the end). The sequence where the siblings and Caspian storm Miraz's castle is the highlight of the film, which is slightly unfortunate since it comes at about the halfway point. The final battle is competent, but mostly just reminds of earlier (and better) battle sequences.

However, I WAS impressed by how credible the five main young actors were in their action sequences (I mean, they're kids mostly!), and I was even more impressed by the performances of the actors playing the four siblings. They have an easy chemistry and this film allowed them to play a more interesting dynamic.

Though they still obviously look young, their characters are actually more than 1,000 years old and they do a nice job of conveying weariness and wisdom beyond their years. Usually when kids do this in movies it's annoying, but in this flick, it makes perfect sense. Still, as in the first movie, Skandar Keynes as Edmund (though underused) pretty much blows everyone else away.

Unfortunately, that includes Ben Barnes as the title character. Barnes certainly looks the part of a movie star, and I get that Caspian is sort of growing into his thrown, but he still ends up coming off as a bit whiny and more than a little vacant.

Also, while he makes for a perfectly hissable villain Sergio Castellito's Miraz is a bit of a letdown (especially after seeing Tilda Swinton's seductively evil performance in the first flick). He looks like somebody dressed up as Gerard Butler in "300" for Halloween and spends most of the movie battling with Barnes and the rest of the Telmarines to see who can have the most anonymous European accent.

The supporting cast is decent, though I preferred the charming performance of James McAvoy and the scary work of Swinton in the first movie. In "Caspian", the highlights include Peter Dinklage giving a wonderfully grumpy performance as a dwarf (typecasting!) and Eddie Izzard's voice as a swashbuckling mouse and variation on "Puss in Boots."

While this would make for a decent adventure flick on its own, I would definitely recommend you catch the first film. You won't be nearly as disoriented and you'll appreciate the reappearance of a couple of familiar faces.

Still, while the film is far from excellent, I'll be on board the next trip to Narnia.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian...B

No comments: