Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hell's Kitchen: Pass Interference

Well it was certainly a quieter and considerably less annoying installment of "Hell's Kitchen" as the final three battled for a spot in the finals.

I don't think I've ever missed anyone less than the way I didn't miss Jen last night.

With Her Royal Awfulness gone, we were treated to an uncommonly friendly tussle for the last two spots in next week's finale. Although I was ecstatic to see Jen gone (can you tell?), there was a VERY small part of me that worried without Jen around to unite everyone in hating her, this episode might head into boring territory.

Fortunately, there was plenty going on last night to keep the chefs (and me) busy.

After some requisite and trite "can you believe we made it this far" chatter, the chefs headed downstairs for the week's challenge. Ramsay, however, flipped the script and announced, as a treat, he'd be cooking for the three finalists — and their families.

Two things here: 1.) Why is it anytime contestants on a reality show are reunited with their families, they act like they've spent the past 15 years on Alcatraz instead of the past few weeks on a TV show. I get that "Hell's Kitchen" appears considerably more brutal than most shows, but still. 2.) This is ALWAYS the week (with three contestants left) when families come for a "surprise" visit. Why did no one know this? Do none of them watch the show before trying out? Don't they have a friend that watches to give them tips? If I were trying out for "Hell's Kitchen" I'd become familiar with all things risotto, Wellington, crab cakes, etc. This lack of self-awareness would come into play later.

At least Christina (how adorable was it when she told her parents "I got to ride in a helicopter!") was aware enough to realize this "treat" would have a twist. Indeed, it turned out the chefs would be asked to recreate the Ramsay signature dish they'd just wolfed down.

As a result, I wasn't surprised to see Christina won the challenge (three-peat!), but I was surprised to see by how little. Apparently, Petrozza would've probably won if he had remembered the puree, and Corey would've definitely won if she'd chosen the right meat (venison instead of buffalo).

So off Christina went with Chef Ramsay again (people are going to start rumors about those two) and Christina's family to eat some overly trendy food that would NOT fill me up, but would probably cost north of $200. Meanwhile, Petrozza and Corey had to stay behind and clean the bar (and Corey FINALLY brought back her signature "F---" reaction shot). Although crushing ice sucked, the two were considerably more good-natured about it. Corey got through it by pretending the ice was Jen's face, and I couldn't help but notice how everyone was just generally in a better mood with Jen gone.

Before the dinner service, Ramsay gave the finalists his impromptu acting class in which he teaches "assertiveness" by having the cheflings yell at him. Do I believe this exercise has any real leadership training value in the real world? No. Is it funny? Yes. I thoroughly enjoyed the finalists struggle to channel their inner badass and Ramsay showing why it comes so naturally to him by casually smashing a plate.

Ramsay also informed them they'd each be taking turns leading the kitchen at the head of the pass. What he didn't tell them is that he'd have his sous chefs Scott and Christina intentionally make mistakes and see whether the finalists would catch on. Again, if you've watched this show in the past, you know this is something that always happens, so you should be ready.

Petrozza is a bit of a space cadet, so I'm not sure that even if he knew it was coming he would've caught the fact that the risotto had no peas. His leadership was solid, but the kitchen started to go down in flames under his leadership due to Christina's inability to cook fish. Thankfully, she got it together after a bit.

Corey was next up at the pass, and didn't inspire very much confidence by struggling to read the ticket with the orders. She also failed to pre-taste the incorrect sauce that had been given to her for the Wellington before it was too late.

Fortunately, she made up for it by expertly running the meat station while Christina led. Christina appeared to be the strongest leader of the night, despite getting on sous chef Scott's nerves, who felt like "smacking the s--- out of her." She also caught the batch of mashed potatoes which had been made with basil instead of mint.

Ramsay commended all three on the service again and asked them each to nominate one person for elimination. Eventually, Corey and Petrozza nominated Christina for crapping on the fish station and her inexperience, while Christina nominated Corey for her lack of leadership.

Ramsay said this would be a difficult decision and I agreed with him. However, I also felt fine because I realized I'd be totally ok with any two of these three people making it to the finals (Corey was a bit of a bitch early on, but she won me over).

Since Petrozza didn't get any nominations to be eliminated he sailed to the finals (who'da thunk Mr. Hen in a Pumpkin would be in the finals) leaving the next spot between the two blondes. I know this was allegedly a tough decision, but I don't see any way Ramsay could've picked Corey over someone who'd won three challenges in a row (almost unprecedented in HK).

So now we have our Christina vs. Petrozza final (featuring two giant banners, pictured, right). I haven't liked two reality show finalists so equally since — about a month and a half ago when Whitney and Anya battled for the title of "America's Next Top Model" (and even to a lesser extent last month's all-David "American Idol" finale). What's happening with reality TV? We're getting likable finalists!

So what'd you think of this episode? Was I the only one surprised to see Petrozza had a girlfriend? (Too mean? Probably.) I guess Corey's BF hadn't seen the episode where she stripped down to her undies and tried to entice the men into the hot tub, right? Who would want mint in their mashed potatoes instead of basil? Finally, who you got? Petrozza or Christina? (I'm going with Christina, but my feelings would NOT be hurt at all if good guy Petrozza wins.)

3 comments:

Erica said...

i can't vote on your page but i really thought cory deserved to be in the final. i think she's so much more competent than cristina and trezzie. i don't really care who wins now.

John said...

It was just SO close. As I wrote in the column, I don't see how you can leave Christina out of the finals, since she's been dominating during challenges the past few weeks (the challenges show off individual skills).


As for picking Trezzie over Corey? I think Corey is stronger over all, but Petrozza didn't really do anything at all in last week's episode to justify kicking him off before Corey. It's just a tough break for Corey. Or as she might say, "F---"

Anonymous said...

I would have agreed with you just 2 days ago however, I often put basil in my mashed potatoes but tonight, I tried fresh mint. It was unbelievably delicious, you should try it!!!