Thursday, October 11, 2007

America's Next Top Recap: Makeover Madness

Well, the makeover episode finally arrived and it did NOT disappoint. And by "did not disappoint", I meant that one of the girls inevitably started crying as her hair was chopped off.

My brother and I actually tried to guess who the culprit would be (yes, this actually happened...I had Heather because I figured her mild mental condition would cause her to freak out), but Tyra foiled us by flipping the script on Bianca and leaving her hair Ceballos-length.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the fact that Bianca looks about 300 percent better with the shorter hair (I never realized what a strong, modely face she has...she should ditch the wig full-time) instead of that stupid reddish bang she was rocking. So stop complaining! My other favorite new looks were Saleisha (who kinda DOES look like a Beatle), Janet (who looks like a MUCH fiercer version of her old self) and Heather (who looks pretty much the same, except for a minor upgrade, which is fine because she looked awesome before.)

My least favorites were Jenah (her out of control bleach blonde hair looked like a disaster by the time the judges panel came around), Lisa (who's look is actually a downgrade) and Sarah (who was not incorrect when she said her new 'do makes her look like her mom — who I've never seen).

I'm going to breeze through the makeup challenge because I'm a straight guy and I don't know jack about makeup. Sarah, John's official pick to win the whole thing, won the challenge, but, to me, the big revelation is that Nigel is married. Is this something everyone knew? Did you also hear the sound of about six girls' hearts breaking at the same time, and many millions more worldwide?

Anyway, this week's photo shoot had the girls posing as all manner of plant life. Highlights from the shoot included Chantal not being able to listen to two sets of instruction and Victoria overthinking (as all the "smart" girls tend to do) and turning in a poor performance.

Ah Victoria (pictured, top left). The editing all night was screaming at us all night that the brainiac from Yale might be going home. Personally, I dug the fact that Victoria wasn't a sheep. She said that some of the stuff the models have to do on this show is "absolutely ridiculous." This just in — it IS absolutely ridiculous. She's also had the nerve to talk back to Twiggy three weeks in a row (like Twiggy ever has anything interesting to say) and earned a reputation for having a prickly demeanor. I don't think she's ever been disrespectful (other than interrupting people when they're talking), but mostly I think the judges are kinda shell-shocked when someone dares to talk back at them in a cool, collected voice instead of staring blankly as they get critiqued or coming back with over-the-top sass. Oh well, she didn't seem too broken up about leaving, so I'm ok with it.

Anyway, the bottom two predictably came down to Victoria (two words — neck wrinkles) and Saleisha (who I didn't think was THAT bad, I just couldn't see her eyes). I thought Chantal was worse. My favorites were Heather (who just looked like a freak), Jenah (who BECAME moss) and Ebony (who the judges will now target for having a bad attitude now that Victoria is gone).

So what'd you think? Was this not CLEARY the best episode of the season? What was your favorite makeover? Were you as unsurprised as I was when Saleisha ended up in the bottom two after saying earlier "I'm never going to be in the bottom two"? I think we finally got through a Top Model episode this season, er cycle, without mention of the word "Asperger's". Don't you just love how "Before" photos anywhere have that intentionally bad lighting to make a person look worse? Finally, am I really the only one who's going to miss Victoria?

No comments: