Wednesday, October 24, 2007

NFL Week 8 Picks

Are you a glass half-full, or half-empty person?

I'm asking because I broke even on my picks (7-7 week, 57-36 overall) and I'm not really happy. I think it sucks that I got half my picks wrong. So that makes me a "glass half empty" person. I don't think that makes me a pessimist, I just hate to lose. Actually, my real glass (or plastic cup) of water beside my keyboard is about 9/10 empty, so I'm gonna go fill that up, come back and do some picks.

INDIANAPOLIS
@ CAROLINA
I hereby apologize to the Colts (one of two sure things in this column) for picking against them last Monday night. I like them to win over the Panthers, who are stupid for even considering giving David Carr and his dainty white gloves a start over the latest Official Erica Crush, Vinny Testaverde.

CLEVELAND @ ST. LOUIS (upset!)
Do I have to write anything on this game? Fine! Because the Browns are pretty crappy on the road, you know what, I'm taking the Rams, who have Marc Bulger back, could be getting star running back Steven Jackson back. Still, there's no chance I'll watch this game and a 90% chance I'll regret this pick on Monday.

NY GIANTS @ MIAMI
Miami has just as bad a record as St. Louis (0-7), but they just lost their best player (RB Ronnie Brown) for the season, whereas St. Louis is getting theirs back. Also, the Giants get to win one more game before the second half of the season and they start going in the tank and criticizing the coach. Honestly, other than the game the Redskins gave them, the G-Men have beaten the Falcons, Niners, Jets and Eagles, who have a combined record of 6-20. Actually, I made that number up, (too lazy to find out for sure) but their schedule has been pathetic.

PHILADELPHIA @ MINNESOTA
I honestly have no idea, because I KNOW Minnesota is lousy, but Philly continues to surprise me by how bad they are. I'm going with the Vikes because I think they'll shut down Brian Westbrook.

PITTSBURGH @ CINCINNATI
Cincinnati actually managed to win a game last week, though it was against the Jets. I doubt they'll run for 130-something yards against the Steelers, who'll be looking for someone to beat up on after losing to Denver Sunday night. Should be a good game.

DETROIT @ CHICAGO
The Bears temporarily saved their season with a big win over Philly last weekend, but I don't think they're healthy enough to stop the Lions, who scored 34 points in the FOURTH QUARTER of their last meeting. Should be a good matchup, though not as good as an actual Bear going up against a Lion. I don't even know who I like in THAT one.

OAKLAND @ TENNESSEE
I'm done overestimating the Raiders. I lost sight, over the past few weeks when I picked them to win, that they're still the Raiders. Plus Titans QB Vince Young is shaking off the Madden Curse and coming back this week.

BUFFALO @ NY JETS
Wake me up when Kellen Clemens is starting for the Jets. Yes, I know Pennington threw a 50-yard "bomb" last week, but this season, you or I could do that against the Bengals. He also (weakly) threw the pass on the out route toward the sideline that was intercepted and returned for the TD that iced it in the fourth quarter.

JACKSONVILLE @ TAMPA BAY
This is going to be another ugly game (probably uglier than the Bucs win over the Titans two weeks ago), but I'll take the Bucs (I wonder who they'll lose for the season THIS week) because the Jags are starting a third string QB (sorry Quinn Gray, that's what you are right now) and have one of their wide receivers (Matt Jones) backing him up. Also, their soul is questionable for this contest after being crushed by the Colts on Monday night.

HOUSTON @ SAN DIEGO
Here come the Chargers. A few weeks to late, but, here they come. Get out of the way.

NEW ORLEANS @ SAN FRANCISCO
I'll take the Saints because they actually have a little life in 'em now and the 49ers have, um, Trent Dilfer starting for them. Yikes.

WASHINGTON @ NEW ENGLAND
Washington's D actually matches up pretty well with the New England offense. So I'll predict Brady only throws 3 or 4 TD passes, instead of 5 or 6. Also, you may have heard that the Pats are on pace to break the record for team points in a season held by the '98 Vikings, which featured, you guessed it, Randy Moss. Brady is brilliant, but when I saw him toss up what were basically two Hail Mary's and Randy Moss easily caught both in double coverage, I said to myself "Randy Moss is the MVP." Then my brother asked me why I was talking to myself.

GREEN BAY @ DENVER
The Broncos saved their season with a win over the Steelers on Sunday night and now they'll host the Packers on Monday Night Football. Favre is good in MNF, but I like the Broncos at home (how many home games have they had already, geez!) and I'll ALWAYS take the good AFC team over the good NFC team.

No comments: