Tuesday, March 18, 2008

RIP Anthony Minghella

I only saw three out of the six feature films (not counting "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" coming soon) Anthony Minghella made before he died.

I didn’t even like his triumph, "The English Patient", though I didn’t hate it quite as much as Elaine on "Seinfeld."

Still, his passing at the age of 54 is a shame for a guy who made dramas for adults.

I think "Cold Mountain" is underrated (to the degree that a movie with seven Oscar nominations and one win can be underrated), but his real triumph to me was "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

Not only did it feature career-best work from Matt Damon and Jude Law (as well as a scene-stealing Phillip Seymour Hoffman), but Minghella’s stylish and suspenseful direction makes it a movie that’s stuck in my mind ever since it came out nearly a decade ago.

I’m very thankful for that and Minghella will be missed.

No comments: