Wednesday, May 7, 2008

American Idol: Hall of Shame

And I thought last week was as awkward and painful as things could get for Jason Castro (pictured, right).

The Idols hit the stage and performed tunes from a selection of 500 songs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. When I heard the theme for the week announced, I foolishly thought that this week would, you know, rock. Instead, each contestant mostly shied away from taking any major chances, making for an entertaining (they ARE classic songs) if unspectacular hour.

Unless you count the spectacular collapse of Jason Castro. Actually, I'm not even sure it could be called a collapse since that would imply he was actually trying to do well in this thing. I can't ever remember a contestant more ready to go home than Jason.

Things actually started off promisingly for him as he seemingly astutely picked a Bob Marley song ("I Shot the Sheriff") that would suit his voice and personality. And while he performed with more enthusiasm than the previous two weeks combined (his dreadlocks were looking particularly lively), his vocals were just trainwrecky, or "utterly atrocious", as Simon put it.

At least he remembered all the words to "Sheriff". Since, I'm less than super-familiar with Bob Dylan's work, I had to look over at my girl Erica and ask her if Jason's ad-libbed humming was actually part of "Mr. Tamborine Man." It's too bad too, because the fact that he sounded a LOT better will be remembered by no one. Simon advised him to pack his bags and I have to say I agree.

I know the dude's been giving off a laid-back vibe all season, but there's a difference between being laid-back about the competition and wasting everybody's time by not caring. Seeing Carly Smithson in the audience just reminds me how much more she would've rocked this week and made Jason's tanking of the competition kind of intolerable.

In fact, Jason was SO bad that Syesha actually has a chance of making the season's final three. Excuse me, but after the lack of respect she's been getting all season, I'm not calling her a lock to advance, even in the face of Jason's disaster.

However, I think she had a strong enough night to merit a place in next week's show. Simon called her "Proud Mary" a "bad Tina Turner impersonation." Personally, I thought it was a pretty damn good Tina Turner impersonation. Still, not matter how fierce Syesha was and as great and comfortable as she looked on stage, she DID sort of revert to her old (bad) habit of emulating artists she can't possibly top.

Fortunately for her, Simon finally came around after her cover of Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come," agreeing with Paula that this was her moment (in case Simon hadn't noticed, she's been having those moments for about a month now). So it was slightly disheartening for me to have to agree with Randy. Sure, she sang the song pretty well, but she seemed off at some moments, and like she was trying to do too much at certain points. Also, I'm not sure comparing a song related to the Civil Rights movement to participating on "American Idol" is the greatest idea. Still, it was touching to see her sort of breakdown after Randy's critique and vindicated after Simon and Paula's comments (I'm enjoying someone's tears? Who am I? Tyra?) But it sort of helps wipe away that vaguely fake and superior vibe Syesha unintentionally gives off.

The night, of course, belonged to the two competitors destined to face off in this year's finals. And just to make sure we didn't have a Daughtry-level shocker this season, Ryan made sure to remind us WE HAVE TO VOTE right at the end of the show.

If I had to pick one of the two to be shockingly booted from the program it would have to be David Cook. Although he all but admitted he mailed in his first performance of "Hungry Like the Wolf", I kinda dug it. It's a super cheesy, 80's song which he updated with a very slight tweak. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I'd probably be less embarrassed to listen to Cook's version of it today than Duran, Duran's.

Anyway, his "Baba O'Riley" was my favorite performance of the night, and the only performance to really, you know, rock. I could DEFINITELY hear that on the radio right now, and Cook was back to exuding the aura of a professional performer.

I thought he performed really well last night, but the reason I have him being ousted in a shocker over David Archuleta is simply that David A. just has too many fans.

It also helps that he clearly had the strongest night overall out of the final four (though I'd stop short of saying he crushed the competition) with two smart song choices. Particularly brilliant was "Stand by Me", which he's been singing for years. In his room. To himself. And to his dog. While his voice were spot-on as usual, I have to ask — has this kid EVER met a vocal run he doesn't like?

His take on Elvis' "Love me Tender" wasn't great for me, though David DID give a solid and heartfelt performance. I'll ignore the fact that he's forgotten Andrew Lloyd Webber's advice and has taken to closing his eyes again. I also can't be the only one slightly annoyed by him taking a song (ANY song) and Archuleting it up and making it sound like something I'll be listening to on the Delilah show while driving home one night.

So what'd you think of this episode? Is Jason a lock to go home? Finally, can anybody stop an all-David finale? (Would you want to?)

No comments: