Friday, October 31, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 9 Picks

I think I may be starting to get the hang of this.

Following another solid week (10-4 week, 70-46 overall), and with the arrival of the midway point of the season for most teams, both I and every NFL team look to keep improving in the second half.

Except for the Titans — it's hard for them to do any better.

N.Y. JETS @ BUFFALO
Both teams are coming off tough losses. Ok, so the Jets didn't lose to K.C. last week, but letting the pathetic, undermanned Chiefs hang around till the final minute can hardly be called a "win." I like Buffalo because it seems like they can beat up on bad teams and, despite a 4-3 record, I'm starting to suspect the Jets are kinda bad.

DETROIT @ CHICAGO
I WANT to pick the scrappy, slightly improving Lions to win soon, but I can't do it when they're on the road against a solid Bears team coming off a bye.

JACKSONVILLE @ CINCINNATI
I WANT to pick the scrappy, slightly improving Bengals to win soon, but I can't do it because they're the Bengals.

BALTIMORE @ CLEVELAND
It's impossible to predict when Cleveland's going to randomly show some heart, but I think show up at home against a division rival. Let's also remember Baltimore will be led into a tough environment on the road by a rookie QB.

GREEN BAY @ TENNESSEE
If everyone keeps talking about how this could be a "trap game" for the Titans and that the Packers might "surprise" them, isn't it likely the Titans show up and beat up the Packers the same way they're beating everyone else up. It's not a surprise if everyone talks about what a surprise it would be, people.

ARIZONA @ ST. LOUIS
Arizona's coming off a brutal loss to the Panthers in a game they should've won. They have all the motivation in the world to light up the lowly Rams, but I like the fire the Rams have shown in the last few weeks, and I like them at home with an improving passing attack (and I'll like them even more if RB Steven Jackson plays).

HOUSTON @ MINNESOTA
Vikings RB Adrian Peterson is always a threat to go for over 200 yards against weak defenses (like Houston), but I like the Texans in this one. It should be a pretty entertaining game to watch, but mostly I need Houston to keep winning so my prediction of them making the playoff isn't COMPLETELY embarrassing. Also, Minnesota just isn't very good.

TAMPA BAY @ KANSAS CITY
I'm still mad at the Bucs for losing a thoroughly winnable game against the battered Cowboys last week. However, I'm not mad (or dumb) enough to pick them to lose against the sorry Chiefs.

MIAMI @ DENVER
One of the more sneakily solid matchups this weekend. Like the Jets, the Broncos are 4-3, but probably a bad team. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are 3-4, but have turned in some strong efforts. I'm taking the Broncos at home because I don't see Miami playing well in Denver, and I don't see them being able to hang with the Broncos if this becomes a shootout.

ATLANTA @ OAKLAND
The Raiders have shown some fire at home this year, but I'm taking the Falcons because they beat up on bad teams, and the Raiders are BAD.

DALLAS @ N.Y. GIANTS
Ok, I give up. You win. The Giants are the best team in the NFL. I'm a believer! Also, I find it hilarious that Dallas Cowboys fans are talking themselves into the idea that Brooks Boellinger is the answer to what ails them right now. Really?!

PHILADELPHIA
@ SEATTLE
Seattle looked impressive last week against the 49ers, but I think they lose this week mostly because they won't be facing an awesome madman who pulls down his pants and moons his players (pictured, left) to make a point.

NEW ENGLAND @ INDIANAPOLIS
I know this is like the fourth time this season the Colts have had a game they HAD to win, but seriously — they HAVE to win this game.

PITTSBURGH @ WASHINGTON
Pittsburgh looked pretty terrible at home against the Giants last week, and I'm not really liking them on the road against the Skins. A few Washington players are banged up (WR Santana Moss and RB/Fantasy Football MVP Clinton Portis), but should play and help the Redskins win.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I can't wait to see some more Single-tyraids!

John said...

He's great for the game. I'm also curious to see if his face can get any tighter during games. I LOVE this guy!