Friday, October 24, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 8 Picks

I finally had my breakthrough with these picks (11-3 week, 60-42 overall), so as the season nears the halfway point, let's see if I can keep this party going.

(Probably not, but I'm still gonna give it a shot.)

TAMPA BAY @ DALLAS
Dallas is falling apart at the exact same time the Bucs seem to be playing their best ball. If the Cowboys actually had heart (or even a competent head coach), I'd pick them to beat a good team at home and stop their slide toward disaster.

WASHINGTON @ DETROIT
Detroit is only the second most hopeless team in the league right now, but I still think they'll lose to the Skins, despite the fact that Washington has played down to their competition the last two weeks.

BUFFALO @ MIAMI
The Bills are probably feeling a little too good about themselves after beating the Chargers, while Miami must be pretty angry after losing to the Ravens. I like the fish (or mammals or whatever) at home.

ST. LOUIS @ NEW ENGLAND
The Rams are probably feeling a little too good about themselves after beating the Cowboys' brains in, while New England must be pretty angry after losing to the Bronc — oh wait, they ALSO beat someone's brains in. No one's going to be complacent here. Hmm. I'll go with New England because, um, they're a better team despite the fact that they're down to the ninth running back on their depth chart.

SAN DIEGO @ NEW ORLEANS (AT LONDON)
Last year we ended up sending England the eventual Super Bowl champions (the Giants), though no one could've imagined it at the time. You think anyone has the Saints in the Super Bowl at this point other than a couple of crackpots? Right now the Chargers are a better team, but I'm taking the Saints because I can't pass up a chance to mess with Chargers fans.

KANSAS CITY @ N.Y. JETS
I'm taking the Jets even though they're coming off a loss to the Raiders and may be without their two starting wide receivers. THAT'S how bad Kansas City is. Remember when I called the Lions the second most hopeless team in the league? Congratulations K.C., you and your third string QB are now the most hopeless team in the league. Herm Edwards will have to get his revenge another day.

PHILADELPHIA @ ATLANTA
Yes, Atlanta is good, but I still can't shake the feeling that they're playing over their heads. I also can't shake the feeling that Philly will blitz young Matt Ryan's brains out.

OAKLAND @ BALTIMORE
Is the best player on the Raiders their kicker, Sebastian Janikowski (pictured, left)? Whenever the possibility that the kicker is the best player on your team exists, I'm going with your opponent to win.

ARIZONA @ CAROLINA
The division-leading Cardinals have been impressive, but I was even more impressed with the way the Panthers shut down the high-powered Saints offense last week at home. In a related story, it's still weird to write the phrase "division-leading Cardinals."

CLEVELAND @ JACKSONVILLE
If there's a team that gets less attention than the Jaguars, please let me know. I mean, I haven't even heard about any of their players contracting a staph infection lately. Do something interesting, Jags!

CINCINNATI @ HOUSTON
Cincinnati's pretty hopeless, but still not as hopeless as the Chiefs. Sorry. (Or "congratulations.")

PITTSBURGH
@ N.Y. GIANTS
It's the game of the week with two of the best teams in their respective conferences. Pittsburgh is dealing with lots of injuries, while the Giants have yet to play anyone that's any good (Washington in week 1 before they had a two-minute offense doesn't count). I see a lot of big plays being made, but I see Ben Roethlisberger and Pittsburgh making more of them.

SEATTLE @ SAN FRANCISCO
Seattle is still terrible and San Francisco will have that inevitable "we just fired our coach" boost. It's a miracle every coach isn't fired after three straight losses.

INDIANAPOLIS @ TENNESSEE
Indianapolis always seems to win the game they need to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Except that I don't see them doing it this time. I see the Titans running all over them and beating them up. They can save their season next week.

No comments: