Saturday, October 18, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 7 Picks

Last week had more than its fair share of exciting finishes in the NFL. By contrast, my pick percentage was boring, as I went right down the middle with my picks (7-7 week, 49-39 overall).

Let's see if I can either bust out this week or crash and burn. Either one should be interesting.

SAN DIEGO @ BUFFALO

I just haven't been a big believer in the Bills this year (and they finally got clobbered by Arizona last time out), while the Chargers seem to be finding their stride. So why am I picking the Bills? Besides West Coast teams being winless when they play at 1 p.m. on the East Coast, I just think Buffalo is bigger and stronger and will beat San Diego up a bit. (Also, I'll take any chance I get to tweak the Chargers' fans, who kinda hate me.)

MINNESOTA @ CHICAGO

I don't think I can remember being less impressed by a team that has won its last two games than I've been with the Vikings last two victories (the fluky Monday Night Football win over the Saints and a total garbage team against the Lions). I'll take the Bears, assuming they don't find a way to lose THIS one at the last minute.

PITTSBURGH @ CINCINNATI

If there's any way things can get worse for the Bengals (0-6, no Carson Palmer, no running game), I'm all ears.

TENNESSEE @ KANSAS CITY

If there's any way things can get worse for the Chiefs (unhappy Tony Gonzalez, no Larry Johnson, Brodie Croyle, pictured right, back at QB), I'm all ears.

DALLAS @ ST. LOUIS (upset!)

I'm actually picking the Rams ASSUMING Tony Romo plays. I think if he plays with his injured pinkie, he'll make mistakes that could cost his team the game (whereas Brad Johnson's steadier play would lead the talented Cowboys to a win). I also like the fire the Rams are playing with lately. I mean, they're still awful, but at least they have FIRE.

BALTIMORE @ MIAMI

So did you hear how Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was talking smack about how his current assistant Cam Cameron did a great job considering "what he had to work with" when he coached the Dolphins to a 1-15 record last year. Oh snap! I don't think I've ever been less interested in smack talk.

SAN FRANCISCO @ N.Y. GIANTS

So people sprained their ankles jumping off the Giants bandwagon after their embarrassing loss on Monday Night Football, but they'll be able to handle the Niners.

NEW ORLEANS @ CAROLINA

This is actually one of the more important games of the weekend. The NFC South rivals face off in an important division game (no team in the NFC South has a losing record). I'm going with the Saints because I think they're a little better on defense (at least against the run) than people think, and I'm still remembering how terrible Carolina looked last weekend. Also, Drew Brees is single-handedly MAKING my fantasy season.

DETROIT @ HOUSTON

If there's any way things can get worse for the Lions (0-5, traded away their second best receiver, starting QB out for the season, head coach has to hold a press conference to say he's NOT quitting) I'm all ears. They're officially the worst team in the league.

N.Y. JETS @ OAKLAND (upset!)

I don't know, but I'm just feeling like the Jets are feeling a little TOO good about themselves right now. They're due for a letdown.

INDIANAPOLIS @ GREEN BAY

They're baaaaacck.

CLEVELAND @ WASHINGTON

I think Cleveland kinda caught the Giants napping on Monday night, while the Skins were caught napping themselves against the Rams. Assuming both teams are awake at kickoff I'm going with the Redskins.

SEATTLE @ TAMPA BAY

I really want to apologize to Seattle for leaving them out of "Worst team in the league" talk so far. They're AWFUL.

DENVER @ NEW ENGLAND

Denver can't stop anybody, but the Patriots looked downright pathetic last Sunday night in San Diego. I'm betting the Pats come up with a way to somewhat contain Jay Cutler and the Broncos, while the Broncos will still be terrible on defense.

No comments: