Friday, September 19, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 3 Picks

Last weekend saw some great games (San Diego/Denver, Philly/Dallas), and this weekend has even more potentially terrific matchups. Of course, that makes it sort of a nightmare for my NFL picks purposes.

After doing extremely meh with my picks (9-6 week, 18-13 season), I'm hoping to break through and have a great weekend (I don't like my chances).

KANSAS CITY @ ATLANTA
Kansas City could be the worst team in the league (though the Rams might have something to say about that), so I'm taking the Falcons to beat up another lousy team at home (like they did with the Lions in week 1).

OAKLAND @ BUFFALO
I'm done underestimating the Buffalo Bills (for now — I KNOW they can beat the Raiders).

TAMPA BAY @ CHICAGO
The Bears have looked better than anyone could've dreamed off, and Tampa Bay is going to be rolling into town without its best receiver (Joey Galloway) and with a starting QB the Bears know very well because he played for them last year. Not fun times for me.

HOUSTON @ TENNESSEE
I realize it's an entirely different sport, but I don't think the Houston Astros have won a game since Hurricane Ike hit Texas. You've gotta think that's messing with a lot of the Texans' heads. Also, Tennessee is better.

CAROLINA @ MINNESOTA
You may have heard, I'm not a fan of Tarvaris Jackson, but I also don't really think Gus Frerotte (pictured, right) is the answer. In fact, I don't think he's the answer to any question, except "who was the idiot that hurt his neck when he head-butted a wall that one time?" So why am I picking the Vikes in this game? They HAVE to win this game to keep their season alive.

MIAMI @ NEW ENGLAND
Joey Porter guaranteed the Dolphins would get their first win of the season against New England. Unfortunately, no one's really listened to anything Joey Porter's had to say ever since he left Pittsburgh a few years ago.

CINCINNATI @ N.Y. GIANTS
I'm done picking against the Giants, especially when they go up against the flat-out embarrassing Bengals.

ARIZONA @ WASHINGTON
This is actually a pretty interesting game, since Washington bounced back nicely. I think Skins' RB Clinton Portis is the difference here, runs all over Arizona and helps them pick up the win.

DETROIT @ SAN FRANCISCO
I don't like Detroit, but I've picked 8 straight road teams to win. Come on!

ST. LOUIS @ SEATTLE
St. Louis is locked up in a real tight race with K.C. for worst team in the league, so I think they'll lose to Seattle, despite the fact that I could suit up as one of QB Matt Hasselbeck's receivers, and I don't think anyone would notice/mind.

NEW ORLEANS @ DENVER
This should be a high-scoring shoot out, and I'll take the Broncos at home, because I don't see anyway the Saints and their sorry defense can slow Denver QB Jay Cutler down.

PITTSBURGH @ PHILADELPHIA
I was incredibly impressed with the Eagles in their Monday night loss the Cowboys. If DeSean Jackson can manage to hang on to the ball long enough to get in the end zone, I think they beat the Steelers.

JACKSONVILLE @ INDIANAPOLIS
This is a must win for the Jaguars, another trendy Super Bowl pick in danger of falling to 0-3. The Colts lost DB Bob Sanders, their best defensive weapon against the run, which is a problem because the Jags love to run the ball.

CLEVELAND @ BALTIMORE
This is a must win for the Browns, another trendy — oh, nevermind, they really suck.

DALLAS @ GREEN BAY
Probably the game of the week, and I like the Packers at home. However, I'm not ready to take Aaron Rodgers in his first HUGE game over Tony Romo and company.

N.Y. JETS @ SAN DIEGO
This is a must win for the Chargers, another trendy Super Bowl pick in danger of falling to 0-3. I think Brett Favre is going to light up the Monday night stage and lead the Jets to victory after the Chargers find yet another excruciating way to lose.

No comments: