Thursday, September 18, 2008

America's Next Top Recap: Makeover Madness

I'd forgotten what this week's episode of "Top Model" was going to be about, so when I clicked "Info" on my TV remote, read the description and remembered that it was going to be the makeover episode, I actually let out a cry of "Yay, makeovers!"

Almost immediately, I realized that I was WAY too excited, but that didn't change the fact that last night's episode kicked ass. No manufactured drama in the house (ok, well a little), and a much bigger emphasis on the girls and the competition.

But first, we were treated (subjected to?) some more "acting" by Tyra. As both of my readers know, I LOVE it when Tyra "acts", but her "performance" this time was overshadowed by Ms. J as an apple-carrying evil queen (great commitment!) and Mr. Jay (and the return of his floppy hair) as Prince Couture. Also, all this silliness sort of underminded the semi-serious, inspirational and interesting story about how Tyra switched from being a high fashion model to a Victoria's Secret/ swimsuit model because European clients had demanded that she lose 15 lbs. Tyra's mom's reaction: "Screw it, let's order a pizza" (which is also curiously a frequent reaction from my girlfriend Erica).

Somehow all the princely shenanigans tied into this year's makeovers, which featured hilarious commentary by the Good Fierce Witch Tyra in a little bubble on the bottom left part of the screen. Actually, I can't be sure if what she was saying was hilarious, but I was just laughing that the whole thing was even happening.

I really liked the idea of covering the mirrors so the contestants couldn't see what the stylists were doing to them. This way, the girls would have to wait until after the makeovers were done to have their meltdowns, instead of melting down DURING the change (which is just rude to the stylists).

My favorite new looks were Marjorie going from blonde to brunette, and Samantha (crier 1), who I think is the most improved mostly because I didn't know who the hell she was before last night. Now, she's the girl with the sleek short blonde new 'do. Also, while I didn't care for it at first, I eventually warmed up to Elina's KA-RAZY new curly red hair. It's the most drastic change superficially and emotionally because Elina's old hairstyle seemed to match her blunt, dark, mysterious personality. Fortunately, Elina (pictured, left) is REALLY good, so she eventually rocked the new hair too.

However, since most of the girls this year weren't as sorely in need of changes as girls in past cycles, I didn't care for a lot of the makeovers. For example, I get that they wanted to make Sheena look different than Kimora, but her highlights make her look more, um, average. Clark's dark hair looks completely fake (as opposed to Hannah's brown hair, which suits her), though she's "still a blonde inside", and seemed happy about it. I would say that McKey needed a change more than anyone, and while her new Linda Evangelista hairdo is an improvement, I'm still not really feeling it. To me, she went from pretty bad, to slightly less bad hair.

Everyone else's changes (Joslyn, Isis, Brittany, Lauren Brie, etc.) didn't look any different to me, but what do I know? I'm a guy.

During the week's challenge at Wal-Mart (Joslyn was REALLY excited about shopping at Wal-Mart), millions of women (and more than a few guys) were disappointed to be reminded that Nigel Barker is married. Also, the girls had to apply Cover Girl makeup and come up with an impromptu, 30-second description of the product.

We got a quick montage of the girls mostly screwing up (maybe to Marjorie Walgreens is the same thing as Wal-Mart) while Hannah and Samantha did the best, and Hannah's adorable (and dorky) delivery winning. I guess that softens the blow of being labeled a racist. She said she'd be able to Google herself online now, which she couldn't do before because Alaska doesn't have electricity.

Speaking of that, the drama in the house this week was limited to Brittany talking about her mom and Elina saying that she hated hers for no good reason. Wha?! Sure, Elina stopped short of admitting that she just uses her mom, but I kinda like that she's a little crazy.

The week's photo shoot was a swimsuit modeling gig at photographer Russell James' house, he of the majestic hair (it was more of a mane, really), who shot Tyra's Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover. Mr. Jay let Mr. James and model/designer Susan Holmes direct, and, instead counseled the girls before their shoots.

My favorite of the bunch were Marjorie (again), McKey (nice action with the body), Samantha (I seriously didn't know who she was until this week) and Elina, who managed to win despite the fact that her photo showed about 0.5% of her swimsuit (and after Ms. J criticized Marjorie for not showing enough of hers).

My least favorite were Brittany (the photo just did nothing for me or the judges) and Analeigh (who really had the worst photo of the bunch, making her arms look gigantic). The two also struggled on set, with Brittany losing the ability to walk normally, and Analeigh uncomfortably fondling a rock, but my favorite segment from the set was Hannah and her crazy eyes (she thought she was smiling with them).

Since Brittany got a LOT more screen time this episode than Analeigh, she was sent packing for being too "pretty" (a death sentence on this show) and now has a lot of homework to do (study a bunch of fashion magazines). Personally, I would've sent Analeigh and her awkward pose packing because I felt that Brittany had a lot more potential.

So what'd you think of this episode? What was your favorite and least favorite makeover? How exactly did Isis hide his/her balls? Finally, isn't it odd that the first three girls eliminated this season have all been black? This show is racist! (I'm just kidding. This show's not racist — unlike Hannah.)

No comments: