Friday, September 26, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 4 Picks

I finally broke out with my picks last time out and had a pretty good week (12-4 week, 30-17 season).

And all it took was me picking a grand total of 4 out of 16 road teams to lose. Ok, so I didn't exactly step out on the biggest limb ever, but, hey, it worked out for me.

Let's see if things work out for me during a week in the NFL that features some brutal matchups. To be clear, hey're not brutal because they're hard to pick, but because the games are going to be hard to watch.

CLEVELAND @ CINCINNATI
When these two teams met in week 2 last year, they combined for more than 150 points and over 1,200 yards of offense. Ok, those numbers may not be exactly right, but you get the point. I'm taking Cincinnati because they FINALLY showed life against the Giants last week, while Cleveland continues to look awful (Soon to be former starting QB Derek Anderson's body language, pictured, left, says everything you need to know about the Browns season so far). This loss should double as the start of the Brady Quinn era.

MINNESOTA @ TENNESSEE
One of the better, more competitive games of the week, though it's not exactly expected to be a shootout. Who would've thought at the start of the season that Kerry Collins and Gus Frerotte would be headlining one of the best games of any week this NFL season? I'm taking the Vikes because I think they shut down the Titans run (their major strength) and get back to .500.

DENVER @ KANSAS CITY
Another week, another starting QB for the Chiefs. They got blown out by Atlanta last week and they're going to get blown out this week. They also lost serious ground in the competition for worst team in the league because...

BUFFALO
@ ST. LOUIS
...The Rams decided it would be a good idea to bench one of their best players and start a guy who was last seen carted off the field after a concussion. Benching QB Marc Bulger doesn't make any sense unless their only goal is to CLEARLY be the worst team in the league. If so, well played Rams. In a related story, head coach Scott Linehan should probably update his resume.

SAN FRANCISCO @ NEW ORLEANS
I sat in a sports bar last weekend watching all the games, but I was watching this one very closely because Drew Brees is my QB in my two fantasy leagues. As great as he was, I was struck by how TERRIBLE the Saints defense is. That being said, they should still take care of the Niners.

ARIZONA
@ N.Y. JETS
My how times have changed. In the past couple of years, whenever equally match AFC/NFC teams played, I favored the AFC. Now the power seems to be in the NFC, so I'm taking the first-place Cards over the Jets.

GREEN BAY @ TAMPA BAY
Yes, I'm ridiculously biased, but I really feel like the Bucs are going to take down the Packers. The Bucs D usually does great against young QBs (don't forget, this will be Aaron Rodgers' fourth career start). Also, Brian Griese is a lock to throw for 400 more yards, right?

ATLANTA @ CAROLINA
Right now, Atlanta is good enough to beat up crappy teams, but not good enough to win against good ones.

HOUSTON @ JACKSONVILLE
I don't really think Houston can beat Jacksonville, but they HAVE to win to keep their season (and my playoff prediction pick) alive. Still, it's a tough break for the Texans starting off with three straight games on the road thanks to Hurricane Ike.

SAN DIEGO @ OAKLAND
Oakland's been slacking lately by playing some halfway competent football and falling out of the "Worst Team in the League" sweepstakes. I think this'll be a close game, but Rivers, LT and the Chargers should torch them.

WASHINGTON @ DALLAS
I like the Redskins more than most people, and I think this'll be a good game, but I don't like them enough to go into Dallas and win.

CHICAGO @ PHILADELPHIA
Philly is, arguably, one fumbled snap away in the Dallas game from being 3-0. They COMPLETELY demolished a very good Pittsburgh team last week and this week they get to play Kyle Orton. Assuming Bryan Westbrook and Donovan McNabb are ok (a BIG assumption) they're the best team in the league — you heard it hear first.

BALTIMORE @ PITTSBURGH
Baltimore's defense seems to be drinking from the fountain of youth, but I just don't think their offense is going to score enough points to win against the Steelers.

No comments: