Friday, November 7, 2008

Conflict of Interest: Mason Crosby edition

Ok, as soon as you stop laughing, I'll tell you why a kicker is my conflict of interest for this week.

It turns out that a kicker can be a sort of silent assassin when it comes to fantasy football. In almost all leagues, they get one point for an extra point and three points for a field goal (and up to five points for longer field goals). As a result, a kicker that puts up three field goals and an extra point (not too much to ask) can give you 10 points, which is the same amount of points you'd get in certain, non-points-per-reception leagues (like my NFL.com league) from a 100-yard receiver or a 100-yard rusher with no touchdowns.

This week, I have Crosby (pictured, right) in my NFL league, while my opponent owns him in my Yahoo league. Don't get me wrong, I always want to win, but I REALLY want to win both games this weekend.

If I win in my NFL.com league, I go to 8-2 and inch closer to clinching a playoff spot. On the other hand, I'm 6-3 in my Yahoo league (3rd out of 10 with four teams going to the playoffs) and I'm playing my nemesis. At least, he considers himself my nemesis ever since I "tricked" him into trading me Drew Brees after week one and he decided to send me death threats each ensuing week.

Fortunately, his (Brees-less) team kinda sucks, while mine kinda rocks. I'm going to ahead and guess that I can beat his team even if Crosby has a big day. So here's hoping the Vikings can make the Packers settle for more than a few field goals this weekend.

Dream statline: 4 FGs, 2XPs in a loss to the Vikings.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Fantasy Football is evil and you're a big dork.

;)

John said...

You only say that because you have to live with me after a tough loss...and because it's true.