Thursday, November 20, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 12 Picks

Welcome to the latest installment of John's football picks — where, unlike Donovan McNabb (pictured, left), we're fully aware that there are ties in the NFL (12-3-1 week, 100-59-1 season).

(You guys are totally ok with me counting the Eagles/Bengals game as a tie in my picks record right? I mean, technically I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't right plus who in their right mind would ever predict a tie. )

Ok, now that that's settled, on with the picks:

CINCINNATI @ PITTSBURGH
Ok, so we know that at least a few Eagles didn't know that last week's game could end in a tie. Presumably the Bengals knew they couldn't tie, were going all out to win and STILL couldn't take care of business. Fortunately, they won't have to worry about tying this week.

TAMPA BAY @ DETROIT
Why do analysts keep saying that Detroit "can't" go 0-16 because that's "hard to do" and that they "HAVE to win a game"? I don't know that these analysts have actually watched the Lions this season. They can go 0-16. Yes they can!

N.Y. JETS @ TENNESSEE
I'm still not as sky high on the Jets as others (though their win at New England was impressive). Mostly, I want to take this space to thank Titans RB Chris Johnson for killing my Yahoo fantasy team the last two weeks. Enjoy the view from my bench this week.

BUFFALO @ KANSAS CITY
I'm liking this frisky Chiefs team more and more and I'm liking Buffalo's sorry offense less and less. Throwing 3 interceptions in the first quarter (as Bills QB Trent Edwards did Monday night) is HARD to do — even harder than going 0-16 I think.

CHICAGO @ ST. LOUIS
If the Rams insist on mailing in their season, I'm going to have to insist on mailing in this pick.

NEW ENGLAND @ MIAMI
I guess I must be the only guy who isn't rushing to anoint Pats QB Matt Cassel the next big thing after finally throwing for more than 250 yards and a touchdown. Also, the Pats are usually shockingly poor in Miami.

MINNESOTA @ JACKSONVILLE
Honestly, Jacksonville. What happened to you? I know you lost some guys on the offensive line and one of your best run-stoppers, but still. Have fun trying to slow down Adrian Peterson.

PHILADELPHIA @ BALTIMORE
I know that this goes against the whole "Philly can only beat bad teams" corollary (in a related story, Baltimore is good), but there's just no way Donovan McNabb can say the stuff he said this week AND lose this crucial game, even on the road, right? Right?!

HOUSTON @ CLEVELAND
This should actually be one of the more high scoring games of the week. I don't know if I'm picking Cleveland because they showed some real life on Monday night or because I'm THAT disgusted with the Texans.

SAN FRANCISCO @ DALLAS
The Niners and the Cowboys clash to rekindle what was one of the best rivalries of the 90's. Well at least the Cowboys held up their end of the bargain by still being good.

OAKLAND @ DENVER
I thought you had to be able to play defense and run the ball to win in this league. The Broncos can do neither, but, amazingly, are still in a great position to win.

WASHINGTON
@ SEATTLE
D.C. goes to the Pacific Northwest to show the Seahawks how they do it in the REAL Washington. Capitol style!

N.Y. GIANTS @ ARIZONA
Still not picking against the Giants until further notice because I like being right.

CAROLINA @ ATLANTA
I'm going with Atlanta, the unofficial new America's team, because they're good at home and because Carolina has barely escaped from Oakland and Detroit with wins the last two weeks. Yikes.

INDIANAPOLIS @ SAN DIEGO
As the Colts continue to improve the rest of the AFC is probably looking at each other and going, "Oh, oh."

GREEN BAY @ NEW ORLEANS
Both 5-5 teams need this game to realistically stay in playoff contention, though the Saints - the former unofficial America's team - need a little more because the Packers can still win their sorry division. More importantly, I'm likely going to need Drew Brees to have a huge game and singlehandedly give me a win and save my 6-5, sinking-like-a-stone fantasy team. Come on, Drew. Papa needs money for X-Mas shopping!

No comments: