Wednesday, November 26, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 13 Picks

As we approach Thanksgiving, I realize I have a lot of things to be thankful for this NFL season, so I'm going to get them all in before everything goes straight to hell.

I'm thankful that both my fantasy football teams are in the playoff hunt, I'm thankful that my favorite time, the Bucs, are tied for first place in the division, and I'm thankful that my picks continue to hold up decently (10-6 week, 110-65-1 overall).

Let's see if we can keep this party going.

TENNESSEE @ DETROIT
So I'm definitely one of those people who believe that the Lions playing on Thanksgiving every year because of "tradition" is stupid. Don't get me wrong — I have respect for certain traditions. But I would also like to see a good game on Thanksgiving every once in a while. It's not like the Lions are having an off year. They're having an off 40 years! They're awful. Get them off Thanksgiving. I guess this year's team should be glad that, playing a pissed off 10-1 Titans team, they won't jump ahead to a two touchdown lead this week, only to get their hearts broken. They'll be out of the game well before that happens.

SEATTLE @ DALLAS
I thought things were supposed to get better once Seattle QB Matt Hasselbeck came back. Unlike the 49ers, they might want to put more than one guy on T.O. this Thursday — might help.

ARIZONA @ PHILADELPHIA
Could the Eagles be any more done? They're crispy!

SAN FRANCISCO @ BUFFALO
Well Buffalo has certainly proven they can kick the crap out of terrible teams, while they most interesting thing about the Niners continues to be their insane coach.

BALTIMORE @ CINCINNATI
Was the Bengals deactivating WR Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco against the Steelers last week supposed to be a punishment? I'd be relieved not to have to go out there in that uniform. They're terrible.

INDIANAPOLIS @ CLEVELAND
I barely had enough time to get excited about the Brady Quinn era before his broken finger snatched it away. Also, be on the lookout for the Colts to finish 11-5.

CAROLINA @ GREEN BAY
I'm not a big Carolina believer, and I'm counting on the Packers to pick up a win in Lambeau, assuming their collective ass isn't still sore from the spanking the Saints gave them.

MIAMI @ ST. LOUIS
If the Rams are intent on mailing in the rest of the season, then I'm mailing in this pick.

NEW ORLEANS @ TAMPA BAY
Mini-fantasy conflict of interest here. I need Drew Brees to have a big game, but I would also like to see my favorite team win. Forget this fantasy stuff, I'm rolling with and rooting for the Bucs, who are undefeated at home (despite potentially losing some $$ in the process).

N.Y. GIANTS @ WASHINGTON
I've watched the Redskins play a few times because I own Clinton Portis and Jason Campbell in one of my fantasy teams, and here's the thing. They kinda suck on offense. They don't REALLY suck, but they kinda suck (mostly Campbell). In a related story, the Giants continue to crush everyone in their way.

ATLANTA @ SAN DIEGO
I like Atlanta a lot, but not on the road against a Chargers team that desperately needs this win. (Funny how I'm not getting any smack talk from my nemeses, Chargers fans, this season.)

PITTSBURGH @ NEW ENGLAND
Probably the best game of the week. I'm going with New England because I still don't trust Pittsburgh's offensive line and because people are seriously asking whether Matt Cassel is better than Tom Brady. They've gotta be doing something right.

DENVER @ N.Y. JETS
I was thoroughly horrified by the Broncos uninspired, pathetic performance AT HOME against the Raiders. Oh, here comes the team that just beat the previously undefeated Titans.

OAKLAND @ KANSAS CITY
Kansas City appears to have more promise, but Oakland has two more wins. Someone find out how this is possible.

CHICAGO @ MINNESOTA
I don't think Kyle Orton is all the way back from his injury quite yet (not that Kyle Orton being "all the way back" is a guaranteed win). Also, I'm predicting (hoping for) a 300 yard, 2 TD game from Gus Frerotte. (That prediction may or may not have something to do with the fact that I'm starting him in my Yahoo league.)

JACKSONVILLE @ HOUSTON
If you can come up with a less inspiring/exciting Monday Night Football game in the last five years, I'm all ears.

No comments: