Thursday, November 6, 2008

NFL 2008 Week 10 Picks

I'm a pretty big procrastinator, so I'm a little annoyed that the NFL is forcing me to do my picks one day early by having a Thursday night game (on the NFL Network that I can't watch).

After just barely eking out a non-losing record with my picks (7-7 week, 77-53 overall), I hope to get back on track this week, despite the fact that I have one less day to "prepare" (watch "NFL Live").

DENVER @ CLEVELAND
Ordinarily, you'd worry about a quarterback making his first start against a playoff contender, especially when Brady Quinn will have a few days less to prepare (like me) for this Thursday night game. However, Denver's defense is just pathetically bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn throws for two TDs and the home crowd carries the Browns to a win.

NEW ORLEANS @ ATLANTA
This is a big game in the super-competitive NFC South, which brings almost as much quality, but not nearly the same amount of attention as the super-hyped NFC East. I'm going with Atlanta, because who doesn't want those guys to succeed (they're the new Saints!) and because they've been terrific at home so far.

TENNESSE @ CHICAGO
I like Rex Grossman (pictured, left). He was the quarterback for the Florida Gators during most of my four (ok, fine, FIVE) years there. I saw him around campus more than once. I like him. However, if he plays, there's no way he's leading the Bears to a win over the undefeated Titans. Sorry, Rex, though it IS oddly good to have you back in our lives for a bit.

JACKSONVILLE @ DETROIT
Losing to the Browns at home was bad, but losing to the Bengals is indefensible. Go to your room and think about what you did, Jacksonville!

SEATTLE @ MIAMI
I wouldn't want EVER want to fly from Seattle from Miami, and I don't even have a football game to play against a thoroughly fierce and surprisingly competitive team like the Dolphins. Hopefully, Joey Porter will keep his shirt on.

GREEN BAY @ MINNESOTA
The Packers got the Vikings during week 1, riding a wave of emotion due to it being Aaron Rodgers' first start on Monday Night Football. Flash forward to week 10, and the Packers are still a pretty solid team, albeit one that can't really stop the run. That's a problem, because that's one thing the Vikings are excellent at. Also, don't sleep on Gus Frerotte, who's given the Vikes a nice lift (and who may or may not be starting on one of my fantasy teams this weekend).

BUFFALO @ NEW ENGLAND
And Buffalo's freeeeeeee! Free falliiiiiinnnnn (down the ranks of the AFC East)!

ST. LOUIS @ N.Y. JETS
The Jets have been thoroughly unimpressive in their last two wins. So they're due to break out and have a big win that will have people saying that Brett Favre is finally turning the Jets around before they lose to the Patriots next week.

BALTIMORE @ HOUSTON
Oh oh. Baltimore is learning how to play offense now. Be afraid, be very afraid.

CAROLINA @ OAKLAND
There's just no way I can go with the team that ended up with 77 yards of offense for the entire game. I get that many yards on a single play in "Madden" all the time.

INDIANAPOLIS @ PITTSBURGH
Did you see the way Pittsburgh beat up Washington on Monday night? I did. Look for more of the same against the Colts.

KANSAS CITY @ SAN DIEGO
I was very impressed by Kansas City last week until they blew a 21 point lead against the Bucs. I don't expect them to blow a 21-point lead against the Chargers since they'll never get ahead by that much.

N.Y GIANTS @ PHILADELPHIA
Ok, this is the spot where I would pick against the Giants because there's just no way they can keep rolling or because they're finally playing a good team at full strength or whatever reason. I'm done with that. The Giants are the best team in the league until further notice.

SAN FRANCISCO @ ARIZONA
Nobody cares about who wins this game. We're all going to tune in to see if Niners coach Mike Singletary does something crazy, right?

No comments: